Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 05:13 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I have continued to wear my wedding ring on my left hand and his ring on my right middle finger. They are symbols of memories and love. I don't care what others think. It only matters to me.
^^^ this will be me ^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 05:27 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,256,609 times
I’m positive that my wife will wear her rings after I’m gone and I would do the same. It’s all about the respect and the bond we have for one another

Old 03-09-2018, 08:46 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I think its odd that people even discuss it (about widows/widowers.)
People don't. It was just a wacky post by the OP. And even he apparently doesn't want to discuss it because he hasn't bothered to respond to any of the comments made to him.

Ordinarily, one might think that given the universal rejection of his point of view he might be too embarrassed to post any follow-up, but given some of his views on other topics (as delineated by his posting history), I doubt that is the reason.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:46 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I think they don't want people to know they are single, their not interested in any dating. Or they like the rings and just left them on. Or they can't get the ring off and just left it on.
There was a many pages thread here awhile ago, I forgot the title, where the great majority of widowed retired women don't want to remarry.
LOL. I am of retirement age, but not retired. However I AM single. Divorced long ago. I wear a ring on my left hand. Those who do not know me think is a wedding band (inset diamonds), but it is simply MY ring. Bought as a present to ME. I don't give a rat's patooty about whether or not someone thinks I am married.

You are so young, grasshopper.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 03-09-2018 at 12:58 PM..

Old 03-09-2018, 12:25 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I lost my husband at 40 and didn't take off my rings for 2 years, AND wore his on a chain around my neck.

It was because in my heart I still felt married to him.
When my mom was 40, my dad passed away very unexpectedly, leaving behind an unsophisticated widow ill-prepared to be a head of household, my older high functioning autistic brother, my mentally retarded sister, and me.

Mom never remarried. Mom wore her wedding ring until she was in her 70s. I first noticed her not wearing it when she was in her 80s. She's coming up on 91 now. I've never spoken to her about it, but I know she keeps her ring, and my dad's ring, in her night stand.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:35 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
When my mom was 40, my dad passed away very unexpectedly, leaving behind an unsophisticated widow ill-prepared to be a head of household, my older high functioning autistic brother, my mentally retarded sister, and me.

Mom never remarried. Mom wore her wedding ring until she was in her 70s. I first noticed her not wearing it when she was in her 80s. She's coming up on 91 now. I've never spoken to her about it, but I know she keeps her ring, and my dad's ring, in her night stand.
That had to be rough for her.

I remarried now and very grateful to have wonderful husband.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-10-2018, 03:10 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
My husband died a few years later, but he and his behavior effectively ended the marriage before. I wore my wedding ring because I was used to it. When I told him to make no contact, probably the last time I saw him, I just couldn't stand the stress of divorcing him. We were offically 'seperated'. I bought myself a ring I loved, not wedding/or engagementlike, and wore it in its place. It was silver, with a design symbolizing rebirth on it which was more about me, then and later. But I needed something on the finger.

I saved my rings, especially the engagement ring which was my mom's too, but when I went looking for them, they weren't there. I had gotten them out and looked at them, and probably forgot to put them back. But I didn't try to find them. I hoped Mom's ring showed up, but knew I had let him go. I wasn't done with the anger part of dealing with him, but knew all it was going to do was destroy me.

But if I happened to find them I'd keep Mom's but not the other. I have no pictures of him, or anything I saved. If anyone refers to the subject, I just say he died.

I have men friends, but except for one guy I met I'd STILL want to be with I'm not interested or looking. Friends, yes. More, no thanks. I'm one of those women who tend to have good friendships with guys, but not other females, and would love a few more friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement