Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 11:51 AM

737 posts, read 1,648,944 times

Advertisements

Should a person give a ring back if an engagement or a wedding doesn't happen or a divorce happens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 11:55 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
I'm not sure what the "rule" is but when a woman accepts an engagement ring she wears it as a sign that she promises to marry the man. If that promise is broken then the ring should be returned.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:06 PM

I personally didn't feel like I should of givin one back a guy gave me the ring I kept telling him no I didn't want to marry him not once but several times. He kept insisting. His claim was love.

Judge Judy always said give the ring back I didn't feel right with it under the circumstances myself since it wasn't my idea and he was to blame not me. Since Judge Judy said I had to give it back I felt obligated. However I didn't feel right with it under the circumstances. The he started to lay this I don't have no money. I don't feel like I should of tho. Not under the circumstances.

I told him NO. I said my grandmother just died leave me alone. He just kept bugging and bugging and bugging me. He gave me the money to go buy it I never asked him for one. He kept up till I agreed then used the ring to dish me with. I saw it coming that is why I didn't want to give it back yes he would of started crap if I kept it but but I would of felt better. Yet they made out like I wanted to give it back that is a lie. I didn't want to give that ring back. I felt like I deserved it after what he put me thu.

After the fact he started to say a bunch of crap that I know was a lie coming from someone else.

I was accused of a few thing I know were a lies.These lies started from people who think they have the right to meddle in places they have no right to be.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:08 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
^ Sounds to me like the engagement ring was the least of your problems.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Anyone who gives anyone an engagement ring had better think seriously about making adjustments in their profligate consumer spending habits before they get married, especially if they pay retail, and especially if they put it on a credit card that is already carrying a balance.

Nothing like starting off a marriage going thousands of dollars deeper in debt (or deeper into your savings) for a token.

If I was a woman and a man blew his money like that, I wouldn't touch him with a stick.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I'm not sure what the "rule" is but when a woman accepts an engagement ring she wears it as a sign that she promises to marry the man. If that promise is broken then the ring should be returned.

I agree under normal circumstances.
However under my circumstances I don't agree. I would of never worn it again true. I don't care that man was being rude. Insulting if you ask me.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:14 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
^ Sounds to me like the engagement ring was the least of your problems.
I have to agree.

Traditionally, if the woman calls off the engagement, she is obligated (yes, obligated) to return the ring. If the man calls it off, she does not have that obligation....yet it would seem to be the decent thing to do IMO.

However, I can see where petulance, power struggles, and feelings of entitlement or victimization could alter one's perception of common courtesy.

As for divorce, I don't feel either party is obligated to return their rings.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:14 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Whether the engagement ring must be returned is actually a legal question. Some states consider it an unconditional gift, some states consider it conditional on the recipient going through with the marriage, and even some of those states consider who is at fault in deciding what should happen to the ring.

If you are in this situation you should figure out what the law is in your state.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:26 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlady01 View Post
I personally didn't feel like I should of givin one back a guy gave me the ring I kept telling him no I didn't want to marry him not once but several times. He kept insisting. His claim was love.
Some might say that you are a sleazy cow, I wouldn't but some might, since if that was your attitude you should have simply continued to firmly state that marrying him was out of the question. You might have also suggested that if he continued to insist despite your reticence that you would have to discontinue the relationship altogether, instead you accepted a ring, without the slightest intention of following through with the commitment that the ring represents. Some folks would consider that to be pretty lowdown gold digging and sleazy sleazy way to live one's life, of course I wouldn't say such a thing myself.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:33 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Couldn't we have one thread about your life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates