Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 09:04 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,144,062 times

Advertisements

Yesterday the temps dropped to 4F and I turned my thermostat down to 55F to keep the heat $trip$ on my heat pump from running continuously. So here I sit with a pair of leggings and a turtleneck under my sweats, hands wrapped around a hot cup of coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 09:53 AM

588 posts, read 463,036 times
Here in Indianapolis Indiana it hit minus 17 yesterday. Today a balmy 15 and set to go back down tomorrow.

I live in an apartment complex with no insulation, the windows are the originals.

I have every blanket I own covering the couches in the living room since the cold comes up through the floor. No insulation there either.

I have an electric heater throw on one couch and the animals congregate there. I have a large electric heating unit turned to 80 when I am home. I went out yesterday even in this cold.

I keep my thermostat at 65 at my electric bill is already at $100 and I have two weeks to go to the next cycle. Weather man says we will have these temps for another 30 days. There went all my saving for a holiday to pay my heat bill but at least I CAN pay my heat bill.

I wear a beanie on my head while sleeping. I wonder if night caps will come back in vogue.

Surprisingly I am weathering the weather pretty well except for cabin fever.

My poor dog has to poop in the snow. I carry her in and carry her out....she has to find a place to poop...I can't do that for her.

Thank you god that I did not have to go to work this week! But I recall many a morning I had to fight the weather to get to work when I worked full time. Standing out in the dark, wrapped in a blanket waiting for the bus! Sub zero weather. There are good things that come with getting older!

Old 01-03-2018, 10:00 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Sorry for all you freezin' peeps. I remember it well, huddled by the wood stove in Utah.

It's 72 right now here in the Andes and 82 back at the beach. All year long!

Old 01-03-2018, 10:44 AM

249 posts, read 266,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
It's currently 66, with an expected high this afternoon of 71. Although the high will only reach the low to mid 60s over the next three days, we'll be back in the mid to high 70s by Monday. (expected high 77).
You got me beat, it is 62 here in Laguna Beach.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:53 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
I have to say I never heard the term "bomb cyclone" before, even if it's just another snowstorm, that adds another chill to the anticipation of it heading here.

Newsweek: Frozen Bomb Cyclone Set to Hit East Coast, Meaning Bad Weather Will Get Worse Before It Gets Better!

Old 01-03-2018, 11:17 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times
It's a balmy 11 here in southern Wisconsin. But it will be back down to -4 tonight. We're going to SW Florida next Thursday, so it better warm up down there, jeanj!!! Unfortunately we're only staying 5 days, then we'll be back to the frozen tundra.
BUT this is my LAST winter here!! WOO HOO!!! We're meeting with the builder next Thursday, my new house will be done by next November. Can I get a Hallelujah??

Old 01-03-2018, 12:09 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
We've had bitterly cold weather since the day after Christmas here, and the next three days are predicted to be not only the three coldest, but also really windy as well. I can take cold but I absolutely hate winds. My 1927 house has no wall sheathing and no insulation in the walls either, although I insulated both the attic and the conditioned crawlspace (thank heavens.) If the power goes out I have the whole house generator and a large heater that's supposed to heat 1,000 sq. ft., which would just about heat the house. And I am looking forward to next Monday, when the gas guy will come and clean the gas fireplace and turn it on for the year, although I tend not to run it unless it's an emergency. Basically it's my back-up heat. I feel most sorry for the outside stray animals. No matter how much I feed them, I'm afraid they may die from the extreme cold and wind chill.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:24 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
With southern Arizona and northern Florida at temps around 32°f, how are some of you coping?
Are you staying warm enough?

It is a balmy 4 degrees this morning here in southern upstate New York, but will be high of a goose egg come Friday, overnight will obviously be negative temps for ambient, and with wind chills even colder. Actually this morning is warmer than it has been.

The Dakota's are high temps in the negative temps °f.

They ( scientists) say that AFTER global warming, comes a mini ice age. I'd believe that's happening now??!!??
I mean most all of the USA is in frigid temps, and a second shot of blistering cold is on its way.

Usually these,temps don't arrive in winter until February. And here it started in decembe R.

Meanwhile they say Alaska has had the 4th warmest year on record. They are getting warmer we are getting colder, lol.

So are you more senior retired people keeping warm?

I hope so
As a scientist, in a related field to climatology, we don't call it global warming, its called climate change. And one part of it is a shift in the oscillations, which are bubbles of high and low pressure all around the globe. When the polar ones shift (weather folks like to call it the polar vortex but its really the arctic oscillation) towards us we get this sort of cold phase. It is not an ice age.

Not for nothing, when it shifts towards us, it bring warmer air to the "other side". Moscow is a balmy 38°F tonight compared to its normal high is 19°F for this time of year.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:33 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Not for nothing, when it shifts towards us, it bring warmer air to the "other side". Moscow is a balmy 38°F tonight compared to its normal high is 19°F for this time of year.
I knew it! Trump made a deal with the Russians!! In exchange for their interference/help with winning the election last year, he had his deep state right-wing buddies issue orders to turn on their weather-controlling apparatus and shift the arctic oscillation toward us so that Moscow will have mild winters for as long as Trump is President!!

The election result makes so much more sense now!

Old 01-03-2018, 12:39 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
It's a balmy 11 here in southern Wisconsin. But it will be back down to -4 tonight. We're going to SW Florida next Thursday, so it better warm up down there, jeanj!!! Unfortunately we're only staying 5 days, then we'll be back to the frozen tundra.
BUT this is my LAST winter here!! WOO HOO!!! We're meeting with the builder next Thursday, my new house will be done by next November. Can I get a Hallelujah??
By next Thursday the temp should be back in the mid-seventies for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement