Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 08:17 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,932,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Good luck with the move. I just bought a house and had so much stuff it took 3 days to move. Just finished a few hours ago. Two years ago I moved all that stuff from California to Atlanta. It was one of the most stressful times in my life. I did the unpack thing too. Filled up 2 26 semi trailers plus hauled a 20 foot cargo trailer cross country. Quite the adventure
Wow, 2 26 semi trailers + 20 foot cargo trailer! That was a lot of stuff, a total of 72 feet cargo space! And you packed and unpacked things yourself? My hat is off to you.

We are cleaning out the content of a 3,200 sq.ft home after 25 years. We have tried to down size in the last year or so in preparation for our relocation with many trips to the dumpsters, libraries, Salvation Army, charity yard sales etc. There are still a lot more to go.

We want to get rid of at least half of our furniture, 95% of our books and 70% or more of our clothing, shoes, accessories, kitchen items and knick-knacks.

We took two car loads to Salvation Army last week. Habitat for Humanity and Salvation Army trucks are scheduled for the next 2 weeks. The piano will go to a friend. Anything not picked up by charities will be offered free on craigslist and free cycle.

We calculated the volume of all the things we want to ship. It came out to be less than 1000 cubic feet or 14' of the Upack trailer. We booked 20' of the 28' trailer and hope to use less and not more of the booked space.

Upack charges us $3800 for 20' trailer and will charge ~$100 more for each additional foot. It comes out to be around $1.4 per cubic foot which is not a lot. However, why pay to ship things which we have not used for years, don't need or don't love?

We will do the packing ourselves but will have two movers to load the heavy items. I booked them for 2 hours. We plan to finish the packing in the next 3-4 weeks. Once it is done, I will know whether my estimation is correct or way too optimistic!

If I was to make a formal resolution this year, it would be to adopt a brand new life style, the uncluttered, Marie Kondo way.

Our new 4,800 sq. ft home will be very zen like. Note that we did not want such a big house. We bought it for the riverfront location and views! There will be some basic pieces of furniture in all the main rooms in the upper level only. Any guests at our home will have to adopt a Japanese seating/sleeping habit in the lower level floor. They can enjoy the sunset over the Owyhee mountain and Snake River on tatami mat/futon or they can stay in a nearby hotel ;-)

It will be so liberating to live with basic, functional items, no clutter, no knick-knacks except few sentimental art pieces! I will see how long that we can keep this 'silent' new year resolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 04:57 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
One resolution already falls: watching news and fretting over nuke button tweets comparing sizes of buttons. Told myself not to watch the stuff....

Old 01-03-2018, 04:57 PM

558 posts, read 338,221 times
Talk less, listen more.

Maybe this year I will actually test this option for more than 10 minutes. What is the worst thing that can possibly happen if I try to pull this stunt?

Old 05-04-2018, 08:10 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,016,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
I weigh 220lbs. 5'-9" male. I want to permanently lose 20lbs MINIMUM this year. It's not so easy at age 59 anymore, as I have spinal issues (stenosis, cervical and lumbar) and COPD (chronic bronchitis form of it) with asthma. 40lbs loss would be better. I can't run, but I can walk fairly well.

Still, that's less than 1/2lb a week, so I'm hoping I can do it. I'm overly fond of drinking Coca-Cola though, as IMO it actually works BETTER than the newer albuterol asthma inhalers when breathing gets tough.

Put me on notice, and make me stick with it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7gkids View Post
You are now on notice. Just do it. You will be surprised how much better you will feel! Keep us posted on your progress.

My resolution is to remember to write 2018 not 2017.

As of this morning, 5/4/2018, I'm down to 199lbs. Which beats my 20lb minimum I wanted. I got a cold in early April, which went into a horrible case of bronchitis, so I lost almost a whole month of working towards the weight loss goal. Then I lost a lot of stamina, and it took me a bit to build it back up for walking again. Or I would have been at 199lbs end of March

I'm going for another 20lb loss by the end of the year, minimum.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:33 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
YAY for you, Mike Bear!

Old 05-05-2018, 04:11 AM

492 posts, read 631,108 times
Quote:
As of this morning, 5/4/2018, I'm down to 199lbs. Which beats my 20lb minimum I wanted. I got a cold in early April, which went into a horrible case of bronchitis, so I lost almost a whole month of working towards the weight loss goal. Then I lost a lot of stamina, and it took me a bit to build it back up for walking again. Or I would have been at 199lbs end of March

That is Great! news!! Thanks for the update. Can you tell a lot of difference in how you feel? Keep going....

Old 05-05-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7gkids View Post
That is Great! news!! Thanks for the update. Can you tell a lot of difference in how you feel? Keep going....

YES! I definitely have an easier time of breathing, and am no longer so prone to exertional dyspnea (which can be TERRIFYING when it happens, and it was happening too frequently...) That's the biggest change, and it's a good one.

My wife is a bit jealous, as I have already punched a new hole two months ago in making my belt tighter, and I'm about ready to punch yet another one, LOL.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:16 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Wouldn't say it was a resolution, but I did want to find a girlfriend. I found someone I love, but she has significant health issues. Go figure.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:27 AM

492 posts, read 631,108 times
Quote:
YES! I definitely have an easier time of breathing, and am no longer so prone to exertional dyspnea (which can be TERRIFYING when it happens, and it was happening too frequently...) That's the biggest change, and it's a good one.

My wife is a bit jealous, as I have already punched a new hole two months ago in making my belt tighter, and I'm about ready to punch yet another one, LOL.
Improved health is the best change! Good for you! Tell your wife I know how she feels. The older I get the harder it is to watch my weight but DH can dropped a few pounds by saying he needs to it seems
. lol

Old 09-15-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:

Update, 9/15/2019:

After some setbacks, (broken rib last August, and torn right bicep tendon in December) at the end of January this year age 50 I was at 212lbs, 33% body fat and I decided to start counting calories to track how much I REALLY eat. I found out my "maintenance" calories was at about 2,300.

So, I cut them down and got down to 185lbs, but didn't lose as much body fat as I wanted. But my weight "stuck" there. I then had to have laparoscopic bi-lateral inguinal hernia surgery on June 25th. Afterwards I got back to walking the neighborhood, and finally built up to walking 5 miles at a time. I did that for two weeks, and then started riding my bike. I have a Trek 820, and we have a VERY nice 30mile long Rail trail. I built up to biking many miles, but found out I was hitting it too hard and actually wasn't losing much body fat, but was losing weight (more muscle & lean tissue) and ended up "hitting the wall" (glycogen depleted) and actually fainting once a week later after stopping that day (blood pressure drops when you stop, and I had used up all my glycogen & was dehydrated as it was a HOT HUMID day).

I read up on how to do biking RIGHT, and learned I was riding too fast, too far, and NOT drinking enough water during rides, and I needed to take in a few simple carbs now and again during my rides. So basically, I now ride a bit slower in a lighter gear, while keeping the rpms up around 75, and my target heart rate at around 136BPM as best I can. Which I watch using a wireless strap heart rate monitor

That was 3 weeks ago. I am now as of this morning (9/15) at 174.5lbs, and 22% body fat!

I'm hoping to get down to about 160lbs, and maybe 15% body fat, and then maintain that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement