Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 08:11 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times

Advertisements

Spend more money.

Eat less sugar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 08:51 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
On a similar note I just want to be back in shape as a decent skier. Very doable. But we need snow.
We have the snow...but I'm in Michigan. Think I'll ski 1.2 million horizontal feet, which is just about a cross-county trip from Traverse City to Detroit!

Old 01-02-2018, 12:15 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
I resolve not to mention Grape Seed Extract in almost every post I make, regardless of the subject matter being discussed.

Oh wait...that's not me.

Never mind.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:48 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,932,938 times
I saw these 'resolutions' before new year's eve and thought that I could adopt the last one since I have been quite stressed out with planning for our relocation in March.

Quote:
5 things to QUIT right before 2018!!
1. Trying to please everyone
2. Fearing change
3. Living in the past
4. Putting yourself down
5. Overthinking
My husband kept telling me: "don't worry, things will work out just fine". However, he did not volunteer to work out all the moving logistics.

So after kissing my husband and sipping some champagne right after the ball drop, I decided not make any new resolutions.

I only made one new year resolution of 'Just Do It' in 2010. The resolution has served me well and pushed me into accomplishing quite a lot of things including taking the retirement buyout 2 years ago.

The first day of 2018 is a busy day for me. The JDI impetus yielded several major accomplishments all in one day.

I booked Upack trailer for shipping, a reputable local mover firm for packing and got a bunch of quotes for auto transport. I also had my first listing on craigslist to give away a dog igloo house. Within few hours, I got a taker. A very kind man who feels sorry for his elderly neighbors' dogs which are kept outside without any housing. He drove 1 hour to my house to pick up the igloo, a big dog crate and a bunch of dog supplies. We lost our dog last June and it will be a while before we have another one in our new home in Idaho. I also got an enthusiastic yet from a student pilot to my offer of shipping our collection of aviation text books to her. It feels good to give away things that others can use.

I still feel somewhat stressed and overthink about what to do next, how to give things away etc. However, I will try to just do 'it' as soon as 'it' is kind of settled in my mind. Few minutes ago, I decided to go with CoasttoCoast Autotransport shipping company in Idaho. They charge few hundreds dollars more but there will be no concerns with bait-and-switch or other shipping problems if we pick one of the numerous auto transport brokers!

Old 01-02-2018, 01:53 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Had a friend do that many years ago. He carried around a small little handheld notepad...like old school paper, and just wrote down each expenditure. At the end of the year he added up and figured he'd spent almost $10K during the year on booze.

It gave him the motivation to cut down a bit.
I started doing this a few months ago. Expenditures and medical notes for those I accompany to appointments. Hard to remember sometimes.

Have a new notebook for 2018

Might jot down the three things that made me thankful for the day

Old 01-02-2018, 03:09 PM

45 posts, read 57,435 times
I vow I will go outside of my comfort zone at least once a month
be more sociable
and not sweat the small stuff.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:13 PM

48,522 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgin54 View Post
I vow I will go outside of my comfort zone at least once a month
be more sociable
and not sweat the small stuff.
I like that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-02-2018, 06:32 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Not so much a resolution......I'm just working on "gratitude" this year.
I like it. I often remind myself everyday how fortunate I am . Simple things like health, a roof over my head, an income, still alive, etc. 20 years ago I really didn't think about it.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:50 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
I saw these 'resolutions' before new year's eve and thought that I could adopt the last one since I have been quite stressed out with planning for our relocation in March.

My husband kept telling me: "don't worry, things will work out just fine". However, he did not volunteer to work out all the moving logistics.

So after kissing my husband and sipping some champagne right after the ball drop, I decided not make any new resolutions.

I only made one new year resolution of 'Just Do It' in 2010. The resolution has served me well and pushed me into accomplishing quite a lot of things including taking the retirement buyout 2 years ago.

The first day of 2018 is a busy day for me. The JDI impetus yielded several major accomplishments all in one day.

I booked Upack trailer for shipping, a reputable local mover firm for packing and got a bunch of quotes for auto transport. I also had my first listing on craigslist to give away a dog igloo house. Within few hours, I got a taker. A very kind man who feels sorry for his elderly neighbors' dogs which are kept outside without any housing. He drove 1 hour to my house to pick up the igloo, a big dog crate and a bunch of dog supplies. We lost our dog last June and it will be a while before we have another one in our new home in Idaho. I also got an enthusiastic yet from a student pilot to my offer of shipping our collection of aviation text books to her. It feels good to give away things that others can use.

I still feel somewhat stressed and overthink about what to do next, how to give things away etc. However, I will try to just do 'it' as soon as 'it' is kind of settled in my mind. Few minutes ago, I decided to go with CoasttoCoast Autotransport shipping company in Idaho. They charge few hundreds dollars more but there will be no concerns with bait-and-switch or other shipping problems if we pick one of the numerous auto transport brokers!
Good luck with the move. I just bought a house and had so much stuff it took 3 days to move. Just finished a few hours ago. Two years ago I moved all that stuff from California to Atlanta. It was one of the most stressful times in my life. I did the unpack thing too. Filled up 2 26 semi trailers plus hauled a 20 foot cargo trailer cross country. Quite the adventure

Old 01-02-2018, 08:11 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Just one - MOVE.
This is mine, too. My lease is up at the end of May, and I start looking the 3rd week of April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement