Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 07:23 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,272,141 times

Advertisements

Right now I'm hanging out with kid #1 watching Dick Clark's Primetime and messing around on our laptops.

My daughter and I have been noshing all day and pretty soon the bubbly will be coming out to toast in the New Year. I also spent $10 on a CT Super Draw lottery ticket--the last stupid thing I've done in 2017--so maybe I'll ring in the new year with some big bucks

Got a bit of bad news today....my ex's uncle passed away this AM due to complications from leukemia--this while his wife is in the hospital because of a serious heart condition. Truly tragic. She was my roommate 'way back when and she's the one who introduced me to my ex. Eventually she married J and I married K and she in essence became my "aunt." As the song says, "What a long strange trip it's been..."

Wondering what fresh hell 2018 will bring...

Happy New Year Everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody here actually going out tonight- New Years Eve?-happy-new-year-hand-lettering-vector  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 07:26 PM

4,280 posts, read 5,940,712 times
Can't go out if I wanted to. I have Emergency Response Operations duty until Wednesday morning, meaning I need to stay close to home and stone sober just in case something goes amiss at the Nuclear Plant and I get called in.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:43 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
We haven't gone out in decades. Fact is I believe the last time were were out was 1985 or 85.

We are together and at home by 6:00 pm, sit down to a nice dinner, have a glass of bubbly wine we like and usually we're in bed by 11:00. If one of us hears the fireworks then we wake and wish each other a happy new year.

It is the safe and sane way to celebrate new years.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:48 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
It's waaaay too cold to go outside. I think it's kind of exciting and I've always dreamed of staying at some beautiful inn up in Vermont, sitting in front of the fire, having a great meal, hollering and hooting along with everyone else at midnight, and then not having to drive back home with the drunks on the road. Since I don't have big $$$$$$$ to do that, I'm at home.

And it's freeeeeezing out there. Happy New Year, everyone!

Old 12-31-2017, 08:11 PM

5,584 posts, read 6,514,131 times
I am watching the Leonard Bernstein special, "Live from Lincoln Center" on PBS. I just finished a tapas plate of veggies and dill dip, homemade, which I haven't made in years. I had strips of red, yellow, orange and green peppers, and cucumber slices. Also 4 different types of cheese, cut into small cubes, with some crackers. All washed down with my glass of Moscato, which I am still drinking.

I am listening to fireworks going off outside even though it is only 9:10 pm and I live in a 55+ community. I have the electric fireplace on with the heat warming the air. I am comfortable and content and blessed.

Happy New Year 2018 everyone! Wishing it to be a better year than years passed for all.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:42 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Nah, we worked hard yesterday and today, so a simple dinner at home is perfect. Besides, drunks—drunken drivers especially—have zero appeal.

The only indulgence we are taking tonight is a long-delayed celebratory drink, in a serial taste comparison of two “fancy” gins. The first gin, GVine, was bought at least five years ago when we lived in the Front Range foothills of CO. We drink so rarely that we drove it with us when we moved to western WA. And then drove it back last year, when we moved to a different part of CO! We vowed to drink the last bit of it when we sold our WA house. That took longer than expected. And when the sale closed, my husband was working in yet another state. The celebration kept getting delayed.

So tonight, dear fellow hearth-and-homers AND out-of-the-house celebrators, we finally toasted the end of that phase of life. We quickly followed it with a toast to the start of this next phase, by opening a bottle of CO-made Leopold gin. We hope this bottle and our celebratory drinks from it stay in CO!

Happy New Year’s!

Old 12-31-2017, 08:52 PM

19,536 posts, read 9,549,956 times
No. I've had my share of being out past midnight. I like staying home, staying warm and safe.
I can watch the festivities on tv, if I don't fall asleep. Maybe I should start a timer, just in case.
Wake up long enough to toast and then go to bed

Happy New Year to all!

Old 12-31-2017, 09:03 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
I have not gone anywhere for years, don't see that changing. Drinking my bottle of water.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:41 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I have not gone anywhere for years, don't see that changing. Drinking my bottle of water.
Thanks for reminding me. I bought some sparkling water to make it special. It's almost midnight here.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:13 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
It's 13 minutes after midnight Eastern Standard Time Happy New Year to everyone and now we're going to bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement