Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 09:21 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,925,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
Thank you for the kind wishes.

Having a quiet Christmas this year. We have much to be grateful for but are sorrowful as well. Our 28 yo son died of a heroin overdose this year after 10 brutal, horrifying years of a cycle of using and sobriety. Multiple rehabs, we did everything in our power to help him. The truth is, we never had that power. My heart is aching today. I remember him as a little boy, so excited on Christmas morning. It’s hard.

But despite our loss, we've been abundantly blessed with other things. Life is always double-edged, isn’t it? I’m grateful for my loving daughter and her wonderful husband and grandson. Grateful for our marriage. Grateful we made to retirement. Grateful for our retirement home in a quiet, beautiful location. Grateful we were able to spend another Christmas with my mom here. Grateful for kind neighbors and friends. Grateful for our little dog and all the pets we've had over the years.

It has been a day of reflection and prayer for us, lots of looking back and looking forward. I was dreading this Christmas Day but it’s been ok.
Keeping you in our thoughts this holiday season!

BTW, are you still in the Frederick area? We used to live in Carroll County, just up the road from you. To say that area is beautiful is definitely an understatement!!! What I wouldn't give to live there again!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 10:10 AM

993 posts, read 767,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Keeping you in our thoughts this holiday season!

BTW, are you still in the Frederick area? We used to live in Carroll County, just up the road from you. To say that area is beautiful is definitely an understatement!!! What I wouldn't give to live there again!!!
Yes, we live near Middletown, on the ridge of a small mountain. We moved up from the Bethesda area about two years ago. Still, still.....the views take our breath away. Who knew a 2 mile drive to CVS on the backroads could be so scenic? We are in love with our new home.

You and yours will be in my prayers.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:31 AM

1,955 posts, read 2,305,982 times
and Condolences wishing the best for 2018

Old 12-30-2017, 08:32 AM

8,781 posts, read 5,074,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
Thank you for the kind wishes.

Having a quiet Christmas this year. We have much to be grateful for but are sorrowful as well. Our 28 yo son died of a heroin overdose this year after 10 brutal, horrifying years of a cycle of using and sobriety. Multiple rehabs, we did everything in our power to help him. The truth is, we never had that power. My heart is aching today. I remember him as a little boy, so excited on Christmas morning. It’s hard.

But despite our loss, we've been abundantly blessed with other things. Life is always double-edged, isn’t it? I’m grateful for my loving daughter and her wonderful husband and grandson. Grateful for our marriage. Grateful we made to retirement. Grateful for our retirement home in a quiet, beautiful location. Grateful we were able to spend another Christmas with my mom here. Grateful for kind neighbors and friends. Grateful for our little dog and all the pets we've had over the years.

It has been a day of reflection and prayer for us, lots of looking back and looking forward. I was dreading this Christmas Day but it’s been ok.
Prayers to all of you

Old 12-31-2017, 03:05 PM

1,354 posts, read 791,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
I grew up in a family that never celebrated the holidays (long story). When I got married, my wife decorated our brand new home to the hilt for Christmas. She died at the age of 19, three months pregnant with our first child, six days before Christmas. We were only married for a little over five months. I never remarried. I spent 40 consecutive Christmases in a patrol car.

Now that i'm retired, I spend the holidays serving food to the less fortunate on Skid Row, my last patrol assignment. I've been very blessed in many ways, so I load up the back seat and trunk of my car with toys and toiletries to give out to the homeless and displaced. To see their faces brighten up with hope for better days ahead is the best Christmas gift of all.
Patrolman, God bless your heart!
What a tragedy...

Old 12-31-2017, 03:56 PM

14,962 posts, read 12,173,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
It is this time of the year especially tonight that can help us find our inner peace and connection with the world around us. The only downer for me today is that there are no stars visible tonight or at least now. It is the music of the season and the stars above that ground me to realize how blessed We are.

Realize you are never alone and if a Christian realize Immanuel means God is With You.

Even if not he still is
Beautiful, comforting thoughts, Tuborg. And may I add my best wishes for that peace and connection with the world for all, as they see their own best ways to achieve this.

And those stars are out there, even if right now you can't see them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement