Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 08:13 AM

2 posts, read 4,879 times

Advertisements

57 and planning to move to Jackson Hole, WY. Single female. Any advice from folks that live here? I'm retired from a corporate job, downsizing until retirement ten years from now. Want to work in the hospitality industry or caretaking, estate, or nanny job. Any thoughts as to securing a room mate or small apt. Appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 08:59 AM

519 posts, read 583,080 times
Bring a truck load of $s if you want to own property...

Old 11-27-2017, 09:22 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamkel View Post
57 and planning to move to Jackson Hole, WY.
Any thoughts as to securing a room mate or small apt. Appreciated!
https://wyoming.craigslist.org/d/roo...res/search/roo

Old 11-27-2017, 09:55 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,225,526 times
I know craigslist comes to mind but I would also check out various groups on facebook. For example, I'm in some sewing groups as I'm trying to learn to sew. You can search within groups on fb, search for Wyoming. Reach out to see if anyone knows anyone in Jackson Hole. Seems a little safer.

There is also reddit. Reddit probably has a Jackson WY forum. You can learn a lot just by reading, don't even have to post.

And of course there is a WY state forum here on CD too.

For hospitality I would also look online and on facebook for activity lodge/ranches etc. Those places where people stay in a lodge or cabins and they give fly flshing lessons, riding vacations etc. My impression, based on no real knowledge, is that real estate there is big business. You could also apply to real estate companies for administrative office work. Look up the biggest agents and send a resume to be a non licensed assistant.

You could also start with some of the home sitting sites although there is usually a fee involved. I've seen some out west where you live on someone's small ranch, farm, house and babysit their dogs or goats or whatever. Sometimes thats for a couple of months or more while they sail the mediterrean or something. I would be doing this if it weren't for the freaking cats.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:59 AM

4,281 posts, read 5,941,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamkel View Post
57 and planning to move to Jackson Hole, WY. Single female. Any advice from folks that live here? I'm retired from a corporate job, downsizing until retirement ten years from now. Want to work in the hospitality industry or caretaking, estate, or nanny job. Any thoughts as to securing a room mate or small apt. Appreciated!

I know a couple who does Estate Management work. This industry is difficult to break into without references and experience, and is pretty much a 24/7 type of job. This couple started their 'retirement' career doing Estate Management in Colorado, then moved back to Michigan where they had a sequence of two gigs working for different employers, and recently moved to Philadelphia for their fourth job assignment in this field. The bosses at the third job suddenly decided to relocate to California and sold their house in Michigan, so there is not necessarily a lot of job security either.

The bosses would think nothing of spending $1M on a new Ferrari, but would complain bitterly if the Estate Manager wanted to hire a specialty painter/carpenter to perform some critical interior work at a cost of $2K or less.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:08 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,047,026 times
A few years ago I was offered a great job in Jackson. A place I always loved. After I got the offer I started really looking at the COL and even 6 figures was not enough. And I wasn't willing to live in Star Valley and commute in because I would always be on call and driving back and forth. In the end I concluded it wasn't possible to live there unless you already owned property or were flat out rich!

Old 11-27-2017, 10:18 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,321,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
A few years ago I was offered a great job in Jackson. A place I always loved. After I got the offer I started really looking at the COL and even 6 figures was not enough. And I wasn't willing to live in Star Valley and commute in because I would always be on call and driving back and forth. In the end I concluded it wasn't possible to live there unless you already owned property or were flat out rich!
I think that's a fairly accurate of summary of the Jackson Hole area. Real estate is expensive because ordinary people are competing with movie stars, the wealthy, and celebrities to purchase property. There are also just some general issues that relate to development. There are only so many homes being developed. Water and electricity are issues as well.

Even if one was lucky enough to obtain a property in or near Jackson it would be a mixed blessing. Winters tend to be long and cold. Many businesses shut down in the winter. Because the entire economy depends on tourism, summers are just the opposite. Jackson can get impossibly crowded in the summers with the town absolutely flooded with tourists. Its just outside Grand Teton National Park and about seventy five miles north is Yellowstone National Park.

I once thought of purchasing a summer home up there and talked myself out of it when I considered all the problems that are involved.

In the summer, its a very pretty area and I understand why it draws people. However, living there is simply too impractical for most people,

Old 11-27-2017, 10:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,747 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Your age may be an asset... My SIL has been able to network with the wealthy (on Maui) and has been a house / pet / plant -sitter for 37 yrs (no house required)

I would start your networking with community groups where your clientele hang out. (she did most contacts through churches, community interests (drama and art) / volunteering at events / preschools)

I am WY centric, but will not be living in Jackson when I return to WY. (I grew up in Estes Park, CO and have had my fill of traffic and visitors.)

Powell and Sheridan are higher on my list.

One of my boss' got a FT caretaker job on an Island in the Puget Sound. The owners come only once every 2 yrs.

We did caretaking at an estate in BC (Island), and in Australia.

Maybe get yourself a nice Roadtrek or similar campervan for times you want to get away.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:12 PM
46H

1,653 posts, read 1,402,723 times
Many Western/Rocky Mtn resort towns have huge housing issues for local workers. Real Estate is beyond expensive and short term rentals are proving to be more profitable than long term rentals to workers due to AirBnB/VRBO type rental services. This is forcing workers to live far away from the resorts.

You might be able to figure something out at a less popular resort than Jackson Hole or look into Eastern mountain resort areas in New York, Vermont, NH and Maine.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:03 PM

10 posts, read 14,038 times
Default What do you mean by impractical & water and electricity issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
.... Water and electricity are issues as well.

I once thought of purchasing a summer home up there and talked myself out of it when I considered all the problems that are involved.

In the summer, its a very pretty area and I understand why it draws people. However, living there is simply too impractical for most people,

Hello,
Could you please specify what kind of water and electricity issues one would have to deal with? And also "too impractical for most people" ?
Do you mean snow and winter, real estate prices or isolation? Is there a sense of community among people living there all year round?

As a couple, we are considering Jackson Hole as a possible relocation town. We are both semi retired, working from home, need an airport nearby. We are looking to get away from cities and their madness without landing in nowhere land.
Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement