Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 12:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,739 posts, read 58,090,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejonzac View Post
Hello,
Could you please specify what kind of water and electricity issues one would have to deal with? And also "too impractical for most people" ?
Do you mean snow and winter, real estate prices or isolation? Is there a sense of community among people living there all year round?

As a couple, we are considering Jackson Hole as a possible relocation town. We are both semi retired, working from home, need an airport nearby. We are looking to get away from cities and their madness without landing in nowhere land.
Thank you
Depends a LOT on you and your social circles / desires.

Jackson Hole can be very 'plastic' (few 'normal' people can afford to live there. Fewer 'normal' familles.)

There must be some rationale in your plan? Have you spent much time in Jackson enjoying the life you envision?

I would imagine there are 1000 better choices (for most semi - retirees / still engaged in work and community. )

Water is scarce in the Rocky Mtn west (very tough to get well permits if building a new home) Remember... the rain / snow that falls on YOUR property, is NOT YOUR WATER!

Weather is rough as expected (that should be OK, but you might fi9nd yourself stuck at home a lot...)
Real Estate is far out of sight (not within the realm of possibility for most)
There are FEW 'locals' remaining.

Yes... it is isolated (Helps if you have your own jet on standby at the airport.)

It is ~5 hrs DRIVE from civilization (major airport / Universities / trauma center.)

It is a beautiful and great place to live, if you can swing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 05:00 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,463,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamkel View Post
57 and planning to move to Jackson Hole, WY. Single female. Any advice from folks that live here? I'm retired from a corporate job, downsizing until retirement ten years from now. Want to work in the hospitality industry or caretaking, estate, or nanny job. Any thoughts as to securing a room mate or small apt. Appreciated!
seems like you might post this in the Wyoming subforum to get some practical responses- unless you're looking at it from a retirement perspective. I say do it for a decade and re-assess. As you get into your 70s and beyond having some of the support for elderly retirees (good hospitals, nearby groceries, no shoveling snow, easy driving/transportation, etc) - not sure if JH as that -I was there last summer and didn't see a lot of that.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:16 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,084,112 times
Jackson and Jackson Hole are two different places. The town of Jackson is where the majority of tourist lodging and restaurants are, as well as the small hospital and medical centers. The Hole is basically the ski resort and the resort town at the base of the mountain is not really a place to live for the average income person year round. I owned a time share there (in JH) for a few years. It was still a decent drive to get to Jackson. Its a great place to vacation to, and the views in the surrounding area are beautiful but I couldn’t imagine retiring there unless I was very wealthy and loved 7 months of cold mountainous weather. The tourist traffic would get very old for me.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:41 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,034 times
Way too cold for way too many months of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement