Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 01:08 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,581,170 times

Advertisements

These questions and answers are complex. Some states regulate Medicaid differently. Go through your local Area on Aging offices to get resources to learn about how these are covered.
Medicare is not ''broke'', BTW. It is the main way medical entities are reimbursed. if Medicare were broke we'd see the collapse of our health care system as it is.
30 years a medical social worker, so I do have a little insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 01:34 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,025,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
As I read the article I kept waiting for the "punchline" that she got kicked down to depending on Medicaid and thus ended up getting terrible treatment in a nightmarish facility. But no, her money ran out...NOTHING said about bad care...perhaps the implication was that the only child inherited nothing because the mother ran out of money. But many people kind of plan for that anyway - "to die spending their last dollar".

Since there was nothing said about bad treatment she received, I'm not sure I'm getting the downside, for HER at least. Many, MANY people will run out of money, just like her, despite having a policy and saving hundreds of thousands of dollars. Just like many who don't have a policy and have very modest savings - it is just a matter of time.
That was my impression as well.

The system worked the way it was supposed to. And contrary to what the author wants you to believe, some states are considering cutting Medicaid for able-bodied people. Not the elderly. Not the infirm. But for people who can work and for whatever reason aren't.

And I really don't want this to degenerate into politics, so do us all a favor and don't go there.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:08 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,614,499 times
I don't see why people on Medicaid get better coverage than people on commercial insurances or Medicare. The coverage should be standard.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:18 PM

26,665 posts, read 28,789,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I don't see why people on Medicaid get better coverage than people on commercial insurances or Medicare. The coverage should be standard.
Then you're probably in favor of universal coverage. Many, if not most, people are.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:24 PM

107,062 posts, read 109,362,256 times
Quote:
they don't . many doctors will not even take medicaid . medicaid health insurance which is welfare has different rules and requirements than medicaid long term care which is also welfare .

medicare is about 60% user funded

Old 07-08-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
they don't . many doctors will not even take medicaid .
True, but Medicaid does provide more comprehensive coverage (by a doctor who does take Medicaid. Most every hospital takes Medicaid by the way, at least in NYC) than any private insurance or Medicare.
No deductible, no premiums, no copays. And it covers many more services (like home care aides, nursing homes, etc.) than any other insurance policy. This is unfair.
Why do poor people get better health insurance than middle class and upper class people?

Old 07-08-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Then you're probably in favor of universal coverage. Many, if not most, people are.
Why do you think I'm in favor of universal coverage, just because I think that poor people shouldn't get better coverage via Medicaid than the rest of us do via private plans or Medicare?

Old 07-08-2017, 03:48 PM

107,062 posts, read 109,362,256 times
Quote:
True, but Medicaid does provide more comprehensive coverage (by a doctor who does take Medicaid. Most every hospital takes Medicaid by the way, at least in NYC) than any private insurance or Medicare.
No deductible, no premiums, no copays. And it covers many more services (like home care aides, nursing homes, etc.) than any other insurance policy. This is unfair.
Why do poor people get better health insurance than middle class and upper class people?
why do the poor get pretty much everything they need free ? cause they are poor .

Old 07-08-2017, 03:54 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,444,845 times
Quote:
They don't. If you're willing to give up everything but a residence, old car, and $2,000 in the bank, you too can experience the joys of Medicaid.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
They don't. If you're willing to give up everything but a residence, old car, and $2,000 in the bank, you too can experience the joys of Medicaid.
What I'm saying is that poor people's health insurance shouldn't be better than the rest of our health insurance. If anything, those of us who actually work for a living should possibly get better health insurance (one could argue).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement