Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 05:18 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,995,248 times

Advertisements

Nor'easter, I know what you mean about being scolded for "not returning texts in a timely manner."
I'm trying to figure out who it is that decides what is a "timely manner. To the young people, when they send a text, it is uber important. To me, it's just more palaver and I'll deal with it on my own time.

Perhaps that's why people seem to be constantly tethered to their cells - somebody sent them a text this morning and they responded at once. Now, since it's rude not to reply promptly, the original texter must answer the incoming which then requires the second party to respond once again, which means the first needs to text back, putting the onus on the second guy to re...Well, I think you get the picture.

Unless there's blood, I'll get back to you when it suits me. Keep your shirt on! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 05:52 AM

82 posts, read 81,153 times
We both have a cell phone because it's just more convenient for us. We can call the other if we need to if one goes to the store. We don't have a home phone anymore. We don't use our cells for games and seldom sent any text messages but its good to use if we are out and need directions and of course if we need a phone. We aren't like many people we see these days, we don't keep it our hands and only take it out if needed.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:26 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,447,866 times
I am 72 and have had a cell phone since the 80's when it cost $1,000 to have one installed in my work truck.

I still have a cell phone but just a flip phone. I tried a smart phone after some friends told me how great they were but I found myself wasting so much time adding more apps so I could waste more time.

For business smart phones are great but for general computer use I will stick to my desk top and leave the smart phone for the younger generation.

It annoys me when you go out to dinner with people and they are staring at their phone that is sitting where the knife and fork used to sit.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:13 AM

4,552 posts, read 3,793,621 times
We rarely talk to our DS/DIL on the phone, it's all texting. We aren't a slave to texting, we answer when we want or sooner if it's time sensitive. Texts don't interrupt anything and are quick and to the point, like when and where. They aren't made for long winded stories with paragraphs, best thing ever.

DS and family flew to England yesterday evening/overnight via Orlando-Boston-Reyjavik-Birmingham to visit family there. The Orlando flight was delayed with weather and looked like they were going to miss the Boston to Iceland flight. We were out, so DH used his phone to book a room at the Logan Hilton when they were in route, just in case. Luckily there was a gate problem and they did make the connection. DH used his phone and Hilton app again to cancel the room and get the points restored to his account. This was easy to do with a smart phone and we didn't have to go home to do any of the transactions. DS texted a heartfelt thanks for being there for them when they arrived this morning.

Cell/Smart phones like landline phones are just another tool to use in whatever way works best. We appreciate how easy they can make some parts of our lives. All phones are only annoying/rude/and or useless as their owners make them.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-01-2016 at 07:37 AM..

Old 08-01-2016, 07:15 AM

1,204 posts, read 876,537 times
We just have a flip phone, although just added texting due to change at SS. Runs about 21/month. It is only used for "safety" reasons. Whoever has the car also has the cell phone. Absolutely do not want to be a cell/smart phone using household.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:48 AM

123 posts, read 84,838 times
I have an iphone but no landline. I don't have a texting plan, but I do have the imessaging which my son and I use frequently--he worries about my living alone, so I text him a couple times a day at his request to let him to I am still around. He doesn't have to reply to those. He actually texts me more often than I text him. I don't text him a second time if we are in contact otherwise.

I like having it when I go out for safety if the car breaks down or something or if I need to find out if there is a business near me that I need.

I keep it with me almost all the time. If I am expecting a call from a contractor or service person, I won't miss the call. If I slip and fall and break a hip or leg/arm, I can call for help. It won't help much if I have a stroke and am paralyzed or unconscious, but neither would a landline.

With the phone, I can avoid boredom while waiting at appointments:I can play solitaire, read an ebook, listen to an audiobook, or watch netflix. I have no television at home at all. I especially like to listen to audiobooks while doing chores or crocheting.

I pay as many of my bills as I can online and shop online many times. I do this only at home, not on public wifi.

Cellphones can be very helpful, but they should not take the place of social interaction.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:52 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,959,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
When was your mother born? I am very impressed that a female from her generation achieved so much academic success! I am not surprised that she was reluctant to use her VCR. It was probably just foreign and modern and unnecessary.

She was born in 1914. At least she drove until she was in her late 80's; her own mother never learned to drive a car, but she drove a horse and buggy, which seems to me would be more difficult. Attitude is everything.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:51 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,950,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMANDTHOM View Post
We just have a flip phone, although just added texting due to change at SS. Runs about 21/month. It is only used for "safety" reasons.
If you only use cellphone for safety reason, you should check out pageplus cellular prepaid minutes. PPC uses verizon network so the coverage is very good.

With the pay-as-you-go plan, you only need to pay $10 for 100 minutes which is good for 120 days. As long as you refill before the expiration date, the minutes are rollover to the next 120 days.

Since it is so cheap (only $2.5/month), we have two cellphones. You can use your existing CDMA phone (Verizon and Sprint) with PPC.

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/

Old 08-01-2016, 09:19 AM

14,297 posts, read 14,877,338 times
I am 74 and took well to a cell phone but my late wife hated them. I still maintain a land line as it is part of my cable/internet/landline package. I am evaluating changing my services and I am prepared to drop my landline and go cell alone.

I see several drawbacks but they can be overcome:

1. I have 6 land line phones. Never far away from one.
2. Remembering to carry the cell with me even in the house.
3. Remembering to charge the cell.

I expect within a few months I will go cell alone.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:26 AM

24,146 posts, read 15,233,043 times
The house is full of Apple stuff. Finally bought a phone because operating the hearing aid from the I pad or the aid remote was a PITA. Broke down and got an I Phone 6 that is rarely used for communication. It is used to control hearing aids.

Also, my grandson gave me Spotify. It is on the phone all the time. The I tunes on the computer has 9 days worth of music on it. It is now on the phone, too.

Phone man said they were phasing out landlines by 2020.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement