Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 08:14 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,432,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinyday View Post
I went through the my Tupperware "bin" and made a pile of it to take to Good Will. Most if it was not used. I am keeping the few pieces I love and use all the time, but most of it is going bye-bye.
If you can deal with ebay and sell there, check it for tupperware. It sells. I had three huge bags of extra plastic when I downsized, one bag was all the modular storage units I had from tupperware. I sold that in three lots, even the stickers for it and got well over $70. Another bag of generic plastic storage went to a church thrift shop and the last I made room for in my smaller kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 06:36 AM

721 posts, read 997,239 times
I have a really nice classical guitar to sell. Any ideas on where to sell that? I don't really want to have to ship it out so I would like to sell it locally. Suggestions?

Old 04-05-2015, 07:19 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,910 times
I'm going through 5 closets of clothes.

Weeping at never being that small again.

Time to move on, I think.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:36 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,022,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Keep your china! The reason why people don't use it every day is because their children break them. But when your children are gone, you no longer have that reason. China will last forever if you treat it with respect and aren't careless with it. When you're retired, you can finally use it every day. Because every day is a special occasion. If you don't have room for all your dishes, get rid of the cheap ones, not the china.
Brilliant!! Makes me wonder why I haven't done this yet same with the sterling silver - used very little in over 20 years:shoc ked:

Old 04-05-2015, 07:52 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
My dad retired at the end of 2012 and has yet to get rid of junk. I may just have to deal with his stuff some day...

Old 04-05-2015, 07:53 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Oh man. I'm already retired, but last year I moved from a huge one-bedroom apartment to a micro apartment of about 250 square feet. In November I moved to the coast to an even smaller apartment of about 115 square feet. I thought I couldn't live with less than I had, that I'd downsized all I could. But, it's funny how you keep finding things you realized you didn't really need to keep.

I'm about to toss my box of memories. I've offered them to my daughter several times, and she's declined. Old photos, recordings and videotapes of me way back when I did radio and voiceovers and commercials - in another life. I haven't looked at any of that stuff in over 10 years. I think I'll keep one old poster and frame it. The rest is going into the dumpster.

I also am a bit of a food hoarder. I have a separate piece of furniture that I use as a pantry for canned goods. I've decided to quit storing so much food, and eat up what's in that pantry and turn it into my hardware storage, which will free up other space for things that are more important - I want to get back into hobbies and will need to store my hobby supplies.

It's a constant re-thinking and re-prioritizing of stuff. You need so much less than you think you do.

I congratulate you on getting rid of the China. I'm trying to stick to the idea of - if I haven't used it in the last year, it's outta here.
Why not digitize some of the old stuff?

Old 04-05-2015, 01:43 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,571,227 times
I started downsizing 19 years ago at age 37 to get ready for retirement. Went from my mortgage payment on a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house I bought brand new 6 years earlier to a two bedroom apartment - with a roommate.

That was the best thing I ever did. I have not retired yet but I am ready. I don't like maintaining big places. Leave that for landlords. Now my bond income pays my rent.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:30 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Oh man. I'm already retired, but last year I moved from a huge one-bedroom apartment to a micro apartment of about 250 square feet. In November I moved to the coast to an even smaller apartment of about 115 square feet. I thought I couldn't live with less than I had, that I'd downsized all I could. But, it's funny how you keep finding things you realized you didn't really need to keep.

I'm about to toss my box of memories. I've offered them to my daughter several times, and she's declined. Old photos, recordings and videotapes of me way back when I did radio and voiceovers and commercials - in another life. I haven't looked at any of that stuff in over 10 years. I think I'll keep one old poster and frame it. The rest is going into the dumpster.

I also am a bit of a food hoarder. I have a separate piece of furniture that I use as a pantry for canned goods. I've decided to quit storing so much food, and eat up what's in that pantry and turn it into my hardware storage, which will free up other space for things that are more important - I want to get back into hobbies and will need to store my hobby supplies.

It's a constant re-thinking and re-prioritizing of stuff. You need so much less than you think you do.

I congratulate you on getting rid of the China. I'm trying to stick to the idea of - if I haven't used it in the last year, it's outta here.
I guess it's great that you've pushed yourself to see how far you can go though it seems a bit compulsive. Why do I get the feeling that this pantry holds maybe 25 cans and that no one else would consider it an issue?

And the fact that you're constantly re-thinking and re-prioritizing, especially when you're already down to 125 sq. feet will accomplish what for you?

Old 04-05-2015, 03:42 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,335,027 times
I don't see how you can live in 115 sqft. I have a 300sqft studio, and am really cramped. I'm looking for a 500sqft cottage, which is the size that I really need. Anything under that is too small for me, and I declutter and donate things all the time.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:45 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,250,392 times
I'm only 50 but when my wife relocated for work it was the beginning of our decluttering phase. I call myself retired now because I don't care to return to my old type of work. I guess it paints me into a corner not being able to find a new job.

sold our huge 5 bedroom 4 bathroom house down to 3 bedrooms+ bonus room + 2 baths. Got rid of my home theater, my office, a giant fish tank, and threw out at least 12 years worth of children's stuff.

Donated almost $15k worth of stuff to goodwill and rented 2 dumpsters for the remaining junk that couldn't be donated.

If I could go back in time, I would think about all the stuff I got rid of and just not buy them to save for retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement