Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 03:18 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,264,237 times

Advertisements

Keep your china! The reason why people don't use it every day is because their children break them. But when your children are gone, you no longer have that reason. China will last forever if you treat it with respect and aren't careless with it. When you're retired, you can finally use it every day. Because every day is a special occasion. If you don't have room for all your dishes, get rid of the cheap ones, not the china.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 03:42 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,359,678 times
I was so relieved when I got rid of...

Old 04-04-2015, 04:01 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,439,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Keep your china! The reason why people don't use it every day is because their children break them. But when your children are gone, you no longer have that reason. China will last forever if you treat it with respect and aren't careless with it. When you're retired, you can finally use it every day. Because every day is a special occasion. If you don't have room for all your dishes, get rid of the cheap ones, not the china.

I might just do that!

The last time we used it, was before the kids came along. That's when I bought the snowmen dishes, a cheap set, but very nice for what we used it for. Now, were moving into a different lifestyle, perhaps we can use the china, after all!

Old 04-04-2015, 04:03 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,705,016 times
Brava4 - thanks for the giggle. I am slowing going through stuff and right now I have 2 boxes of cords and chargers and I have no idea what they belong to.
I have a while to scale down on everything (484 days and counting), I'm getting the second grouping of stuff ready to go to good will.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:23 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,359,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
Brava4 - thanks for the giggle. I am slowing going through stuff and right now I have 2 boxes of cords and chargers and I have no idea what they belong to.
I have a while to scale down on everything (484 days and counting), I'm getting the second grouping of stuff ready to go to good will.

Yeah, I get it. I had been adding to my pile of cords and everything else for years. I had no idea where most of it came from.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:24 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,439,913 times
Yikes

We only have 26 days to go!

Old 04-04-2015, 04:41 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,911,322 times
I bought a 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood today. I have been looking for a used car and found newer little Hondas and Toyotas go for the same price, if not more. I might put a combined 10K year on my vehicles and don't care about mpg. I want a car I can be comfortable in and my truck doesn't allow me to drive others around as I want at times.

Bonus; a pickup isn't the ideal vehicle to be driving when taking a woman out for a first date unless you are off to the rodeo; a lot of cowboys drive Cadillacs.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:46 PM

210 posts, read 383,529 times
I went through the my Tupperware "bin" and made a pile of it to take to Good Will. Most if it was not used. I am keeping the few pieces I love and use all the time, but most of it is going bye-bye.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:30 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,481,702 times
I don't want to downsize, I want to upsize to a large, luxurious house. I never moved from my "starter house."

Old 04-04-2015, 07:32 PM

85 posts, read 155,672 times
18 boxes in the closet in the Husband's office; I think he's opened 3 of them in the last year. Before that the majority of them were in the basement -- for 13 years. He's committed to going through 2 a month: our lease is up next February, if the potential new place is a good fit I'd like us to be ready to move then and I don't want to pay to move all of these again . . . .

(There's one that's definitely coming, and that's the box with his amateur radio equipment: potential new place is on an island and he's a former Skywarn volunteer, so he's been told that he'll likely be introduced to people from the County Department of Emergency Management and asked to be the neighborhood contact if/when needed. That's one way to find a place in the community quickly!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement