Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What best small, cheap, and nice place should I retire to?
Decorah, Iowa 6 13.04%
Idaho Falls, Idaho 7 15.22%
Pocatello, Idaho 3 6.52%
Bangor, Maine 15 32.61%
Sioux Falls, SD 5 10.87%
Spokane, WA 5 10.87%
Morgantown, WV 8 17.39%
Plattsburgh, NY 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 12:26 AM

2,919 posts, read 3,193,521 times

Advertisements

Well lots of places in Wyoming because of the oil industry boom, have really inflated housing prices now. Sheridan even though it has a VA has gotten very expensive as well, not quite sure why though. So that leaves Cheyenne Wyoming, which also has a VA Medical Center, yes I have driven through there and was not very pretty or appealing to me. and from what I've read on forums about people who have relocated to Cheyenne, many of them seemingly leave due to the heavy heavy winds. But the proximity to Fort Collins Co, makes Cheyenne a little bit more attractive, in my mind. one of the problems I have found in traveling and spending some time at a few potential places, is that when you see deals like decent priced homes with a decent amount of square footage and some acreage...... they go to pending status pretty quickly. That is one reason I explored Branson Missouri and the surrounding areas for a little while, because of the huge number of low priced homes with acreage for sale. Yet many of those homes went to pending status, quickly as well. this is why I am trying to wind up in an area that's going to have ample amount of low priced homes with acreage for sale..... more or less. places such as the outskirts of Bangor Maine for example. Branson Missouri sure had a ton of homes for sale with acreage very low priced. I am surprised Idaho Falls isn't doing too well in the polls.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 01-11-2014 at 12:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 06:56 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,936,606 times
I've been through Dubuque a few times and my son lives in the area, and it is very nice, safe etc. If you have children its great, since many small towns in the midwest are great for children; good schools, safe etc. Apparently you're OK with the cold, just check on how your taxed. Iowa isn't particularly retiree friendly.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:50 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,623,311 times
I chose to retire near Decorah, IA, and absolutely love it. So beautiful and not overpopulated. But I don't know if there's a VA closeby, though? I know my neighbor drives up to Mpls/St. Paul to go to the VA.

My parents lived in Fayetteville, AR and I lived nearby in Ft. Smith. HATED IT!!! You might like it if you're a white supremicist. Otherwise, don't even think about that part of Arkansas. You might like a place in eastern Oklahoma, like the Grand Lake area, though.

My brother lives in Spokane and says crime has really been rising lately (meth). The Idaho towns are really pretty - have you looked at recent crime stats?

Have you thought about Hot Springs, SD? It's beautiful, has a VA hospital in town, and there's no state income tax in SD! I looked at houses there and it is very affordable. I finally decided that I'm someone who needs deciduous trees, though, so opted for the Decorah area.

And nearby to Hot Springs is Chadron, NE. I looked hard there, too - it's a really nice, affordable town with a university - and an easy drive to the VA in Hot Springs.

I had such fun looking, hope you do, too!

Old 01-11-2014, 10:55 AM

40,957 posts, read 49,272,120 times
Add San Angelo Texas to your list to explore.

There is a small college, a nice military base (Goodfellow), minutes to the TX Hill country, the best hunting in TX, some of the best people in the world.

With a few hours drive you can get to large cities like Austin and Dallas

http://www.sanangelotexas.us/

Old 01-11-2014, 11:59 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,816,297 times
I vote for Bangor as well. You can go down to the coast to Belfast a very quaint and beautiful little town, have some lobster down by the water at The Weathervane or take in a movie at one of the cutest theaters I've seen in a long time. You might even change your mind and decide to live in Belfast instead. Either way I vote for Maine.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:36 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,458,842 times
Just a warning - southern Idaho (Pocatello and Idaho Falls included) has a higher concentration of Mormons than parts of northern Utah.

This may make no difference to you - but it's fair warning.

That said - a very good friend of mine who was born on the Jersey Shore worked in radio broadcasting. She married her husband - in television production/broadcasting and they lived all over the country. When I met her she was in Alabama, then moved to Scranton, Minneapolis, Columbus, OH and then Florida. Her husband recently passed away from a brain tumor - and she has one daughter who lives in Ohio.

I asked where she might want to retire? I was pretty gobsmacked when she told me she wanted to return to where she got her first break - BOISE, IDAHO.

I think its the desire for wide open spaces and easier winters. But Still.

She was unhappy when I told her we are working to get back to California. Not just a days drive away.

I have spent time at a friends' home in Spokane - and found that to be rather charming.... but that was 30 years ago. I'm certain it's changed since then.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:19 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,556,948 times
This is from someone who is already retired and has been living in Bangor for over 40 years. Heating expense is no more of an issue here than other places with similar climate. We are about 30,000 population. About an hour from the coast - yes Belfast in one direction and Mt Desert Island in another. You seem mostly concerned with VA hospital. There is one in Maine's capitol (Augusta) about 70 miles down the turnpike.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:53 PM

6,359 posts, read 7,790,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Just a warning - southern Idaho (Pocatello and Idaho Falls included) has a higher concentration of Mormons than parts of northern Utah.

This may make no difference to you - but it's fair warning...
You state this like it is a negative or something. Their theology might be a little mixed up, but they are some of the most honorable people I know. (I am not, nor ever have been, a member of the LDS faith.) They are good people. They promote their religion, but do not force it upon anyone, (at least in my experience and interactions with them).

Old 01-11-2014, 04:00 PM

Thanks for input from all. I don't know about Texas, love Texans, but not huge on the heat, and sheer congestion of the state on whole. They do seem to be some great people, much easier to socialize with folks there then in the PNW or even the Midwest, which I found to be similar to one another socially speaking. Sort of more reserved, standoffish sort of ethos here in the PNW, and I found same thing in most of the Midwest. But I am more a less a loner anyway these days. On the other hand, I found Texans to be very warm and approachable, especially the lovely Texas ladies...lol. I spent time in Boise, wasn't nuts about it, but it was ok. Getting crowded there as well. I have been keeping a close eye on western SD as well. But more up around Lead, SD,....which is closer to Rapid City, and Sturgis where there is also a VA medical center. Drove thru there many times. I hit a mule deer head on two years ago and totaled my car and almost got killed, near Gillette Wyoming though. So now I drive with eyes very wide open on them highways. Yes I am aware of the VA in Augusta, which is where I would have to drive to if I chose to live in Bangor. I was concerned about high electric bills and heating costs though, there in Maine. Nice to hear from someone who has chosen Decorah Iowa, as a retirement spot, that is interesting. They do have a VA clinic there, but for minor stuff.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:03 PM

Yes I am familiar the AR as well, around Harrison and etc. Pretty country, was in Branson MO looking at properties 7 months ago or so. Tornadoes scare me though as well. From my visits to Spokane over the years, I found it decent, but I can sense the crime going up there, and the meth issues, and some of the depressed aspects and/or feel or appearance to the area. Funny enough when I was in Branson MO, I read that area had one of the worst meth issues in the entire USA, per capita, in those counties around Branson. Stone county and etc. Supposedly the state of MO had more meth labs busts last year then anywhere else in the USA, from what I read I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement