Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What best small, cheap, and nice place should I retire to?
Decorah, Iowa 6 13.04%
Idaho Falls, Idaho 7 15.22%
Pocatello, Idaho 3 6.52%
Bangor, Maine 15 32.61%
Sioux Falls, SD 5 10.87%
Spokane, WA 5 10.87%
Morgantown, WV 8 17.39%
Plattsburgh, NY 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:59 PM

6,696 posts, read 7,157,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
And in the other threads you started on the same subject.

So far, you've found something wrong with every single place suggested. You may have to change your requirements.

I have not made a decision one way or another. I am 6 years out from my planned move. Why should I hurry? I haven't found anything wrong with any place yet. I just have adjusted my list up or down based on what those places have that matches or doesn't match what I am looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 11:32 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,488,415 times
The "you" in this instance was meant to be starrider434, the OP. I'd notice 2 or 3 or 4 threads started with the same criteria and with suggestions being shot down left and right

Sorry for the confusion, golfingduo!

Old 04-25-2014, 04:19 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,206,534 times
maybe because when I indicate a housing budget of 190 k and a smaller, safe city, then get suggestions like Jacksonville, FL,( Crime rates some of the highest in the USA) and Salem Oregon, (houses are very expensive everywhere in western Oregon),...I will shoot them suggestions down in a heartbeat. Now places like Fayetteville, AR, Henderson NC, Sioux Falls SD, Kerrville, TX, Bloomington IN, Somerset KY, Idaho Falls, ID, Ocala, FL, and etc,.......would be the sort of places I would be expecting to hear about, but don't, ...which would be small, safe, cities with homes in 190k and under range, including a little acreage.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:46 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,031,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
maybe because when I indicate a housing budget of 190 k and a smaller, safe city, then get suggestions like Jacksonville, FL,( Crime rates some of the highest in the USA) and Salem Oregon, (houses are very expensive everywhere in western Oregon),...I will shoot them suggestions down in a heartbeat. Now places like Fayetteville, AR, Henderson NC, Sioux Falls SD, Kerrville, TX, Bloomington IN, Somerset KY, Idaho Falls, ID, Ocala, FL, and etc,.......would be the sort of places I would be expecting to hear about, but don't, ...which would be small, safe, cities with homes in 190k and under range, including a little acreage.
I would look at Lafayette and West Lafayette, Indiana, where one of my clients moved last year. They built their new home there but here's plenty of housing quite nice.

West Lafayette Single Family Homes for Sale - West Lafayette, IN Single-Family Real Estate - realtor.com®

Old 04-25-2014, 09:22 PM

2,032 posts, read 3,221,905 times
Quote:
Since you mentioned Sioux Falls, SD ... maybe consider Iowa? Winters are about the same; eastern Iowa might be a bit less brutal than Sioux Falls ...

Iowa City has a large VA hospital within walking distance to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, a major public teaching hospital where many veterans are sent from the VA.

While Iowa City is the most expensive city in Iowa, there are many surrounding small towns with more affordable housing/taxes, some on larger lots of land. Also, 30 miles north is Cedar Rapids ... Iowa's second largest city (170,000), again with many surrounding small towns, and Iowa's richest farmland. From there you're not far from the tri-region area of Wisconsin/Minnesota/Illinois, which is beautiful along the Mississippi River. Great for motorcyclists.

The eastern part of the state has quite a few small lakes, rivers, state parks, bluffs, and is surprisingly heavily wooded between farmland. If you are into fishing, camping, or hunting, this is the place for you.

Here are a couple homes listed which are about 20 miles from Iowa City (since these homes are older, negotiate a lower price):

1001 F Pl, Kalona, IA 52247 is For Sale - Zillow

1304 Southview Ln NE, Swisher, IA 52338 is For Sale - Zillow

Last edited by smpliving; 04-25-2014 at 10:37 PM..

Old 04-25-2014, 09:49 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,708,718 times
Quote:
First of all, I don't think the poster who suggested Jacksonville was meaning necessarily right IN Jacksonville.

If you want me to give you specific names of towns in NC that are small (30K or under), I can surely do that. As for crime stats, please understand . . . just b/c the stats are high, that doesn't mean it is high crime in every area of a city! I live in Charlotte now, where the crime rate is rather dire. However, in my part of town, if you look at a crime map, the crime is very low, especially violent crime. So you can't just go by crime stats without checking out specifically WHERE those crimes are occurring. And what types of crimes.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:11 AM

11,180 posts, read 10,581,288 times
Quote:
Kerrville and Henderson are not small cities in any sense of the word, they're small towns. Perhaps if you had been more clear about what you were seeking you might have received more on-target replies.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,866 posts, read 58,512,026 times
Quote:
Within the last 2 yrs I bought my place in Kerrville, $100k (1 Acre+ 1800SF house, view property and shop and 2 RV sites)

And a couple rural places in SW WA 20 minutes from PDX. (Great VA care)
$86,000 - (3 acres 1200 SF home, with shop, RV spots, orchard, barns, gardens, 12+ LARGE blueberries)
$130,000 (5 acres, 1600SF home, shop, RV, sheds)

Located similar but less expensive in NE TN.
Similar but more expensive in Sturgis, / Piedmont, SD (but well under $190k)

I have found a lot of these places while I'm 12,000 miles away. Was referred to 2 more this week from owners who need to sell and properties are not on the market..

I don't do racism, humidity, or Tornadoes, so not looking in those regions.

None of my places are perfect, hopefully I will someday find that one (But surely I will be a day late and dollar short when I do.) Life happens that way (While we are busy planning...)

Old 04-26-2014, 12:06 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,708,718 times
Nice article on 50 Safest cities in NC . . . of course, how they decided on their critieria - no way of knowing (they used FBI data but did some aggregate stats of their own, evidently). However this gives you 50 names of nice towns, some of them truly small towns (under 10K residents), in NC:

50 Safest Cities in North Carolina - SafeWise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement