Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 10:03 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times

Advertisements

Social Security pays in arrears. In other words, your check for the first month you're eligible or the month you apply for will come on the appropriate Wednesday the following month. It's like a paycheck. You have to "earn" it before you're paid it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 11:40 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,885 times
And you'd better die on the first two days of a month.

Because if you die on Sept 29, or July 30, or anytime late in a month, Soc Sec. will take back that next check because you didn't live the ENTIRE month that check was for.

If you die on August 28th...sure you made it MOST of the month. But too bad you were only 3 days shy...Soc Sec wants that entire check that is coming on Sept 3rd paid back...the bas tards don't even pro rate it. Sons of who know who...

And they're darn quick on the draw, too. Before you even get a chance to notify them they're already pulling the money back out. The body's still warm and they're after the money.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:17 PM

604 posts, read 933,904 times
64 years and 3 months

Old 09-06-2014, 01:26 PM

262 posts, read 307,539 times
Our checks are deposited on the Monday of the third week in the month. It's still a thrill to see the money plop into our account

Old 09-06-2014, 04:42 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
And you'd better die on the first two days of a month.

Because if you die on Sept 29, or July 30, or anytime late in a month, Soc Sec. will take back that next check because you didn't live the ENTIRE month that check was for.

If you die on August 28th...sure you made it MOST of the month. But too bad you were only 3 days shy...Soc Sec wants that entire check that is coming on Sept 3rd paid back...the bas tards don't even pro rate it. Sons of who know who...

And they're darn quick on the draw, too. Before you even get a chance to notify them they're already pulling the money back out. The body's still warm and they're after the money.
What is the big deal about one month more or one month less? Do you always get so worked up about trifles? If so, not good for either your blood pressure or for your peace of mind.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:29 PM

106,569 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Social security has all kinds of pitfalls most do not know about. This is nothing compared to some of the traps.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:57 PM

409 posts, read 484,297 times
I was 62 April 25. SS told me the first payment would be deposited the third week in June and it was.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:44 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Oh my gosh. After reading this thread it occurred to me that I could actually apply tomorrow to begin receiving early social security benefits in February.

I checked out senior housing a month or so ago, then shrugged it off.

I signed up at our senior center Friday and hopefully I'll start using its gym.

But for some reason, this idea of being eligible in a few months for (early) Social Security benefits is a bit startling. How can that be?
That's exactly how I felt.
I still have my 60th birthday card hanging up in the kitchen,

Old 05-24-2015, 07:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,894 times
I applied the fifth of may and am 65. How long do I wait for my first check?

Old 05-31-2015, 09:18 AM

426 posts, read 505,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnoneya View Post
I applied the fifth of may and am 65. How long do I wait for my first check?
If you chose May as your month of entitlement, and if SS doesn't write to you regarding info or documents they might need, then May's check is paid in June. It is paid on different Wednesday's based on your birth date.
However, if for some reason your particular Wednesday was passed, the first check will arrive at any time. They do not wait.

Then the next check, for June, will be deposited directly into your account on the correct Wednesday in July.

If someone's check is held up more than one month, they will pay the retroactive benefit for the prior 2 months as soon as the case is triggered for award.

Your award letter is usually always received after the fact- after the money has been in the bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement