Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 03:05 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,089,936 times

Advertisements

I am sexier and more attractive now than at any other period of my life. Darn it. I was really ugly till I became 'older'.

Makeup, don't use much. Lip stain and a tinted sunscreen for every day. Plain old chapstick. For going out, I will use eye makeup, some shadow, liner, and mascara. I started going grey at 18 and I've dyed my hair all my life. I've tried letting it go grey a couple times but I look really washed out.

All my dresses are knee length. I won't go any longer because I have great legs. I do wear heels. 4in is my max and there are some I can walk in for hours without pain. I shop the thrift stores a lot but only for quality. Silks, cashmere, classic clothes that cost an arm and a leg if you can even find them in the stores. My everyday uniform in hot Las Vegas is sandals, shorts, and a t-shirt. In the cold season, slacks, jeans, or running leggins and a top or sweater. Most everything is comfortable. I love those RL dresses that are like long polo shirts, I have several. I can't do sleeveless or really short cap sleeves. I always cover my batwings. My upper arms are awful. I do v necks but nothing overtly sexy.

I do own and wear slutty nighties. With heels even. Maybe a feather here and there. Funny, I never even owned a sexy nightie till I was over 50. But I've been enjoying them now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 03:14 PM

6,887 posts, read 11,270,633 times
Smile Funny story

I was in Nordstroms the other day and happened to be in the NYDJ section. (Not Your Daughter's Jeans) - anyway, the sales staff told me these are their biggest seller by far - so boomers are making a difference!

I was cleaning the house and planning to go for a swim. I usually put my hair in a ponytail but I actually was thinking more of the swim, so I put it more on top of my head and my husband (who never notices and says anything about how I look) gave me the hardest time!! I couldn't believe it.

Right then, it showed me - wow, he does notice but doesn't say anything - so I'd better watch the weight and get into shape.

BTW, the NYDJ's are very comfortable.

Years ago, since I have shoulder length hair (just past it), my brother (business partner) decided I should look more professional. They made me get it cut. It was hideous. I was 30. (The whole family came by). Then, my sister said "it must be the back, take more off the back" - I'm like - but it looks horrible from the front. After that, we went to 2 other hairstylists to try to make it look better but I got a glimpse of me with short hair. Ugh - it was awful - thank God hair grows - all I can say is after all, my family NEVER said a word about my hair b/c they knew how awful it looked.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:24 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,506,801 times
I don't find it difficult to find natural fibers but the down side is they are usually more expensive than the synthetics. I remember a time when 100% cotton was cheap. Good quality silk clothing could be had for reasonable prices. No more.

I often order from those cheap-o catalogues everyone gets but nobody ever asked for. They do have many 100% cotton items at reasonable prices but the clothes are not often of the best quality. Still now that I am not working, I don't need to wear different outfits everyday and I can do my jeans and t-shirts most of the time.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:38 PM

973 posts, read 1,707,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I am sexier and more attractive now than at any other period of my life. Darn it. I was really ugly till I became 'older'.

Makeup, don't use much. Lip stain and a tinted sunscreen for every day. Plain old chapstick. For going out, I will use eye makeup, some shadow, liner, and mascara. I started going grey at 18 and I've dyed my hair all my life. I've tried letting it go grey a couple times but I look really washed out.

All my dresses are knee length. I won't go any longer because I have great legs. I do wear heels. 4in is my max and there are some I can walk in for hours without pain. I shop the thrift stores a lot but only for quality. Silks, cashmere, classic clothes that cost an arm and a leg if you can even find them in the stores. My everyday uniform in hot Las Vegas is sandals, shorts, and a t-shirt. In the cold season, slacks, jeans, or running leggins and a top or sweater. Most everything is comfortable. I love those RL dresses that are like long polo shirts, I have several. I can't do sleeveless or really short cap sleeves. I always cover my batwings. My upper arms are awful. I do v necks but nothing overtly sexy.

I do own and wear slutty nighties. With heels even. Maybe a feather here and there. Funny, I never even owned a sexy nightie till I was over 50. But I've been enjoying them now.

Good for you; this made me smile as I, too own some of those nightgowns! Thanks for sharing.

PSAnd my plan for next year, is to get permanent eyeliner done (nothing heavy though) so I don't have to worry about that aspect any more, at least for 3-4 years which I heard is how long it lasts. THEN when I am 66, I will "re-evaluate"!

Last edited by Sagitarrius48; 08-02-2011 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: added PS

Old 08-02-2011, 06:41 PM

973 posts, read 1,707,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
Feeling sexy is definitely an issue. And at 63, I find I have to try a lot harder than when I was 25 or 30. I find that I do dress more feminely than I did when I was younger, and with a bit more care.

Not sure if or when that feeling will end--I sure hope not. I know it didn't for my mother, she was sexy until the day she died at 80.
I find I dress more with care too; but then when I was in my "prime" or considered to be, I was a hippie, so THAT fashion statement had to be made.

And I, too, don't want that feeling of being sexy to end...and I posted this on my thread, but I think it bears repeating!

Helen Mirren tops 'Body of the Year' poll - 08/01/2011 | Entertainment News from OnTheRedCarpet.com.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:24 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,745,062 times
I've got a bunch of pareos too and I love them. Just have to be careful not to answer the door in one!

Old 08-03-2011, 01:59 AM

239 posts, read 521,437 times
I'm still in good shape, so don't worry about what I wear in regard to age. I wear mostly casual clothes, but not sloppy, or too big...more form fitted. I wear my hair long and color it. It seems like most older women wear their hair short, but I like my hair long so don't see any reason to cut it. I guess I think it's important to wear what you like rather than what is dictated by your age. Also, I think dressing according to your age is a bit old fashioned. I think us baby boomers are changing that and are overall more youthful in appearance than are mothers and grandmothers were at the same age.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:48 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,081,648 times
I'm in the same club as those who now prefer the comfy clothes. After I retired I took my work clothes and donated most to Good Will and saved a couple pieces in case I 'have' to go anywhere that my jeans/t-shirt/capris/sweats are not appropriate (and I definitely limit going anywhere like that).

Old 08-03-2011, 07:04 AM

9,012 posts, read 20,429,558 times
I thought is was rather funny that none of you ladies made a comment about my wife wearing a baseball cap sometimes AND she is in her early 60's! She wears one on our boat all the time and when we go to the gun/rifle range. I've seen a lot of girls in their 20's/30's wear a baseball cap, but haven't seen a lady my wife's age wearing one. But, then again, I've only seen a couple of ladies her age shooting a firearm at the range!
But, when it comes to dressing up, she can do it GREAT! She looked stunning in her blue Evening Dress at the Captain's Cocktail Party on the Cruise we went on. Of course I had on my "Sunday best" suit. We don't dress up much anymore, except for very special occasions. Since I cook a lot, we just aren't the "going out to dinner" type that much.

[quote=LoveBoating;20282433]My wife, early 60's, loves wearing shorts in the summer and Wrangler jeans in the winter (that is, what winter we have here in northeast Florida). When I first met her in 2000, she was into C/W
& Line Dancing and Squaredancing quite a bit and wore Western tops, Roper jeans and those "pointed" old fashion cowboy boots. Later, she changed from Roper jeans to Wrangler jeans........and, I bought her a pair of Lace-up Roper boots, like I wore. She loved both the jeans and the boots. Back then, the Lace-up Roper boots were just becoming increasingly popular. When I met her, I wasn't so much into C/W dancing as I was into pro-rodeo. She never wore any low-cut tops and still don't........as for me, I LIKE that! She loves wearing tennis shoes and sometimes a baseball cap........both are fine with me! She has a small assortment of "pumps", but hardly wearing them anymore, except to possibly Christmas Eve Service or Easter Sunday Service. The "Western wear" days are pretty much over now, so those clothes/boots are sitting in the closet just waiting for a trip to Las Vegas during a National Finals Rodeo weekend in December in the future. She doesn't overdo on the makeup and I love that as well!
Some lady "Boomers" (and older) can want to look to young (makeup/clothes) and, like some lady "Boomers" (and older) will say......"looks ridiculous", but........

Old 08-03-2011, 07:59 AM

6,887 posts, read 11,270,633 times
Smile Dumb question

OK, ladies, I'm often in the dark about a lot of things but what are batwings (sounds terrible) and can they be prevented? And if so, how?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement