Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 11:23 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,748,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanwoman54 View Post

But besides this, I also wondered how we feel about our sexuality plays a role in what we wear. I wondered how many of us still feel sexy or is that a non-issue? As for me, maybe this is partly where I am in denial (per my thread), as I still want to feel sexy and feminine. And maybe that is really what I am questioning about myself and when THAT will end???? Is there an age where we are NOT suppose to feel this way or is it just totally an individual feeling???
Feeling sexy is definitely an issue. And at 63, I find I have to try a lot harder than when I was 25 or 30. I find that I do dress more feminely than I did when I was younger, and with a bit more care.

Not sure if or when that feeling will end--I sure hope not. I know it didn't for my mother, she was sexy until the day she died at 80.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 11:50 AM

16,042 posts, read 22,031,625 times
Google search:

Celebrities Without Makeup

Have fun!

Old 08-02-2011, 11:54 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,510,983 times
With 115 degree heat indexes regularlay forecast for the SHADE, it is definitely sundress and sandal weather or shorts and sleeveless/tank style shirt ( or a skort or sometimes a skirt). When I go out I wear a matching short sleeved cotton camp shirt to loosely go over the tank since I don't wear a bra. Ever since reading Dressed to Kill and hearing an interview with the author about how bras mess up your lymphatic system in your chest, I stopped wearing them (except for dressy or important occasions).

I also have acquired over the years colorful floral pareos and find wrapping those to make a shift are very comfortable. The scorching temps is a good excuse to wear them. Sometimes I'll where a camp shirt over it when I go out since my shoulders are bare and my tan has worn away. This look may not be the greatest fashion statement but oh, well.
http://www.ipolynesia.com/pareo/
http://www.pareoisland.com/?gclid=CI...FeVx5Qodtm5a_Q

I guess I should add I'm a little under 55.

Last edited by emilybh; 08-02-2011 at 12:06 PM..

Old 08-02-2011, 12:06 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,551,485 times
Add me to the list of people who are allergic to synthetic materials. All my clothes whatever style are 100% cotton or rayon. One thing that drives me nuts is that it seems to be the trend to add spandex in most cotton clothing. Ugh! I dislike the feel of it.

I used to wear makeup but I find as I get older my skin doesn't like it very much. Lipstick "feathers" and eyeliner and mascara runs. Also it saves me a little money not to invest in cosmetics. I stopped coloring my hair but I don't like the grey so I will probably go back to doing that again.

Other than the hair, the world will just have to take me as I am.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:40 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,967,148 times
I am very interested in the question of make-up. When I go out of the house, I have to have some color on my lips - I use a lip pencil and then some organic lipstick - the ones that you get in health food stores that come in the thin tubes . . . I would like to not wear eye make-up but I think I need eyeliner most of the time. I don't trust that it looks good because I can't completely see what I am doing!!! I think that is a lot of the problem with make-up.

My hair: I am growing it long and mostly wear it in a ponytail. It is shoulder length at the moment (maybe a little longer). I don't like "hair-do's" . . .

Old 08-02-2011, 12:40 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,103,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Add me to the list of people who are allergic to synthetic materials. All my clothes whatever style are 100% cotton or rayon. One thing that drives me nuts is that it seems to be the trend to add spandex in most cotton clothing. Ugh! I dislike the feel of it.

I used to wear makeup but I find as I get older my skin doesn't like it very much. Lipstick "feathers" and eyeliner and mascara runs. Also it saves me a little money not to invest in cosmetics. I stopped coloring my hair but I don't like the grey so I will probably go back to doing that again.

Other than the hair, the world will just have to take me as I am.
I am so with you on the spandex - it doesn't breathe and I don't like the feel of it either. I love cotton, linen and woven silk.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:59 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,967,148 times
Since we are such a large segment of society and could have huge buying power, how can we get companies to cater to our interests, re: natural fabrics and clothing with style?

Old 08-02-2011, 01:55 PM

419 posts, read 760,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Since we are such a large segment of society and could have huge buying power, how can we get companies to cater to our interests, re: natural fabrics and clothing with style?
We are a large segment of society but we do not spend money and probably never will like the young people do. So unless we loosen the purse strings, the designers will contine targeting teeny-boppers & young women. Remember we were young people when we were buying all of that neat clothing from the 50's & 60'S. So the designers probably catered to us too.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:48 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,748,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post

My hair: I am growing it long and mostly wear it in a ponytail. It is shoulder length at the moment (maybe a little longer). I don't like "hair-do's" . . .
When I finally ditched the long hair (and frequently therefore, ponytails) about 6 0r 7 years ago, I couldn't believe the difference. I looked younger, and felt younger. I had never been into "hair-do's" before in my life, but boy I am now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
We are a large segment of society but we do not spend money and probably never will like the young people do. So unless we loosen the purse strings, the designers will contine targeting teeny-boppers & young women. Remember we were young people when we were buying all of that neat clothing from the 50's & 60'S. So the designers probably catered to us too.
I believe this is incorrect. I believe that the boomers are one of the largest, if not the largest, spending segments in our society.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:04 PM

17,607 posts, read 39,343,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
With 115 degree heat indexes regularlay forecast for the SHADE, it is definitely sundress and sandal weather or shorts and sleeveless/tank style shirt ( or a skort or sometimes a skirt). When I go out I wear a matching short sleeved cotton camp shirt to loosely go over the tank since I don't wear a bra. Ever since reading Dressed to Kill and hearing an interview with the author about how bras mess up your lymphatic system in your chest, I stopped wearing them (except for dressy or important occasions).

I also have acquired over the years colorful floral pareos and find wrapping those to make a shift are very comfortable. The scorching temps is a good excuse to wear them. Sometimes I'll where a camp shirt over it when I go out since my shoulders are bare and my tan has worn away. This look may not be the greatest fashion statement but oh, well.
The Pareo, Tahitian Fashion and Wearable Art
Pareo Island Sarongs

I guess I should add I'm a little under 55.
Ooooh - thanks for the pareo idea and links! Those are exactly what I need!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement