Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 04:05 PM

1,471 posts, read 1,417,441 times

Advertisements

What other Nevada towns would it compare to? I see some affordable homes there...
I like the idea of being 65 miles to Reno or Carson. I would appreciate your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2023, 01:19 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,720,909 times
Check out Dayton, Nevada. It's even closer to Carson City and Lake Tahoe.

Fallon has a Naval Air Station. There might be competition for housing with the military.

Old 07-30-2023, 02:31 PM

I just checked water/sewer in Fallon...water base charge 58, sewer 62....before you use a drop. Ouch. I wonder how it tastes. Otherwise, seems like quite a bit going on...even got a Ford-Toyota dealership.

Old 07-30-2023, 03:29 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,289,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
I just checked water/sewer in Fallon...water base charge 58, sewer 62....before you use a drop. Ouch. I wonder how it tastes. Otherwise, seems like quite a bit going on...even got a Ford-Toyota dealership.
We live North of Reno about 18 miles so I know the area a bit. Fallon is a smaller town where Top Gun training is done. Come a little further west to Fernley and it is probably as cheap and you'd be closer to the Reno metro. Blows me away standing in line at Costco how far some of these people drive. Anywhere in Northern Nevada is nice but does have 4 seasons. I know because I moved here from the San Francisco bay area.

Old 07-30-2023, 06:58 PM

There was a fixer,estate home in Fallon listed for 85k...gone after three days..subject to court approval. Likely sold for over, but that is way less than anything in Fernley, CC, or Dayton. What about the I80 towns going east..lovelock, winnemucca, battle mountain? I think the gold boom has lasted longer than most envisioned..so good for them, but dang, things seem inflated.

Old 08-02-2023, 10:59 AM

783 posts, read 837,709 times
Fallon is military families and retired folks, it’s cute and clean overall. It’s also a ranching town and some areas have the smell associated with that plus lots of mosquitoes if near standing water. Most residents do not drink the water even if from a well. It has long been thought that the water is contaminated in that region from jet fuel piped in for the military base or ? it’s a long running debate.

Keep in mind some of these smaller towns have limited amenities and health care options. Fallon has the basics as does Fernley and Elko. I have family retired in Fallon. They like it and its definitely more affordable. They do need to come into Carson for some hospital and advanced healthcare. There is a hospital and military healthcare care in Fallon, but cancer etc, you will come to Carson or Reno.

Fernley is cute and clean, developed and nice stores. Being on I80 and close to Reno has caused it to suffer some crime you wouldn’t expect in a small, quaint town. Fernley has some water issues that are not completely sorted out right now and can also be impacted by unexpected flooding, something to look into.

Last edited by ChrisMT; 08-02-2023 at 11:45 AM..

Old 08-03-2023, 02:06 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,007,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Check out Dayton, Nevada. It's even closer to Carson City and Lake Tahoe.

Fallon has a Naval Air Station. There might be competition for housing with the military.
I concur with you 100% on this and would check out Dayton and Stagecoach.
Then Fernley would be a second choice.

Fallon is a bit further out there but what I would be concerned about is the sounds of the jets, odor of aviation fuel and stability as far as movement of military families of not being a stable town as regular civilian towns.

Good to be not too far away from Reno or Carson City for any major medical/dental/chiropractor treatments as well as shopping at Costco etc.

Old 08-03-2023, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
We live North of Reno about 18 miles so I know the area a bit. Fallon is a smaller town where Top Gun training is done. Come a little further west to Fernley and it is probably as cheap and you'd be closer to the Reno metro. Blows me away standing in line at Costco how far some of these people drive. Anywhere in Northern Nevada is nice but does have 4 seasons. I know because I moved here from the San Francisco bay area.
Are the LINES at Costco as long as the ones here in SF Bay Area with no parking with too much traffic in SF Bay Area on the public streets and public freeways compared to Northern Reno/Dayton areas?:

There is also a Costco in Carson City but I don't know how it compares to the SF Bay area Costco and the traffic in Northern Reno in comparison to SF Bay Area.

Since you are from SF Bay Area do you find life is much better in Northern Reno in comparison?

In my searches for newer single family homes in Dayton, Fernley, if I am interpreting what I see for sale for newer single family homes, the property tax appears to be REASONABLE if there is such a thing in Nevada compared to California?

Last edited by nowhereman427; 08-03-2023 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: clarification/grammer

Old 08-03-2023, 05:15 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,289,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Are the LINES at Costco as long as the ones here in SF Bay Area with no parking with too much traffic in SF Bay Area on the public streets and public freeways compared to Northern Reno/Dayton areas?:

There is also a Costco in Carson City but I don't know how it compares to the SF Bay area Costco and the traffic in Northern Reno in comparison to SF Bay Area.

Since you are from SF Bay Area do you find life is much better in Northern Reno in comparison?

In my searches for newer single family homes in Dayton, Fernley, if I am interpreting what I see for sale for newer single family homes, the property tax appears to be REASONABLE if there is such a thing in Nevada compared to California?
We bought here in June of 2011 and got our home for $107,500 (now over $400,000) and they can only increase my property tax 3% per year. Right around $1500 a year now.
Traffic was great when we got here but Governor Sandoval help to attract business and growth. Still not as bad as the bay area.
I retired from the Carpenters union when I came here. Line at Costco isn't bad here but I didn't go much when working in the bay area. I'm right where 395 goes back into California 2 miles east of the border. It's called Cold Springs. You can get a decent place here for 400k to 500k or cheaper if willing to settle for less.

Old 08-03-2023, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
We bought here in June of 2011 and got our home for $107,500 (now over $400,000) and they can only increase my property tax 3% per year. Right around $1500 a year now.
Traffic was great when we got here but Governor Sandoval help to attract business and growth. Still not as bad as the bay area.
I retired from the Carpenters union when I came here. Line at Costco isn't bad here but I didn't go much when working in the bay area. I'm right where 395 goes back into California 2 miles east of the border. It's called Cold Springs. You can get a decent place here for 400k to 500k or cheaper if willing to settle for less.
That's still good news as long as it isn't as bad as this area has got to be in cost of living and price increases on everything. It isn't getting any better here.

As you already know we have Proposition 13 here. The assessed value of a property is limited to an increase no greater than 2% each year unless a change in ownership or new construction occurs.(plus additional voter-approved taxes). So you are at 3% which is 1% more than here.

Cold Springs I am not familiar with where that's at but I will look it up to see how close it is relative to Dayton, NV.

I would prefer to get new/newest single family home with less people and traffic than what we have here.

I will also consider Idaho from Pocatello, Idaho Falls to Parma to Fruitland as these areas have more new construction single family homes. I will not consider Boise as it's too expensive and the traffic is increasing from all the development going on there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area