Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2007, 04:39 PM

3 posts, read 17,538 times

Advertisements

Can you describe the Fallon (including the Fallon NAS) area to me?

I'm writing a book and have my character there for a short time. I think I have a sense for it from info gathered off the net but having never actually been there myself, I'd like a local's description. I don't need the town, just the area.

Am I right to say it is in the Lahontan Valley? And there are alkali flats there? What's it like to walk on these? (do they crunch? I'm from MO and we aint got no alkali flats 'round here.) Google Earth shows a mt terrain, is it rock or ??? Is it all desert or is there vegetation? I know the heat is dry, so do you sweat, as in dripping? Is it the kind of heat that drys your mouth?

And Sand Mountain... Are people constantly 4 wheeling there? I heard the sand makes noise (sings). Does this happen on its own or just when you swipe your foot across it? Walk across it? Does the sand blow with the wind? I read that it's windy there. Does the sand get too hot to walk on like at a beach? What's the area smell like? Anything? Do you feel gritty or covered in dirt after a day there (I'm sure sandy but is it a dusty sand, dry sand, etc)?

As you can tell, I'm looking for specific info-so I can get it right and no one calls me on it. I want the reader to think I've been there.

Thanks! You can email me privately if you want-I know I've asked a lot.

Best wishes,
Jane
jmpdk3@go.com

mod cut: reference to cross post deleted

Last edited by scirocco22; 04-25-2008 at 10:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 11:54 PM

8 posts, read 38,122 times
Fallon isn't like most other parts in Nevada. It's known as "Nevada's Oasis" because part of the Truckee River was diverted there by the Derby Dam to irrigate the alfalfa and hay they grow there. The Fallon High School mascott is the "Green Wave", named after what one might see when the wind blows over the alfalfa fields. One thing about them is that it's interesting to see the thick fields abruptly give way to stark desert.
It does get hot there in the summer, but it's not brutal like Vegas. The town itself is quaint with older, somewhat sparsely seperated buildings and "shoppes". There isn't really any alkali flats there since that particular area was never under water.
The air there smells clean and earthy at the same time. If you were to spend a day outdoors in Fallon you would probably get somewhat dusty...

I hope this helped, ask if you have any more questions!

Old 04-29-2008, 09:42 AM

357 posts, read 1,619,593 times
Default There's a huge salt flat out there

East of NAS Fallon, and south of Sand Mountain, there is a huge salt flat. You drive through it as you drive east on US-50.

It is one of the features that contributes to the formation of Sand Mountain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada