Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 11:08 PM

8 posts, read 46,473 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move to Reno in Jan 2013. I have read gobs of threads that ask the same questions, and consequently, get the same answers, but nothing seems current, so forgive me if I am redundant. I just want some current answers.

I have learned to give info first to avoid questions coming back at me, so let me give you all a quick snapshot. I am retired military (33 years of service) and a fairly successful author. My wife is a federal employee and retires in Jan 2013.

We actually wanted to live in northern California or Southern Arizona, but both states tax my military retirement and have higher taxes and housing prices, so we figured Reno is a good locale to be able to day trip to California whenever we want to.

I am also into gold prospecting. Let me clarify that. I do not have gold fever - I like to hike and am a herpetologist, so I figured while I am out I could do something else that seems enjoyable - metal detect. I have joined the local club in Reno already and will have access to their claims, but sure would like to meet or hook up with some folks who can teach me. I am book smart - have all of Delos' books and many others - but not very field savy.

What worries me most is the wind. I hate wind. I don't know anyone who likes it except those whose hobbies depend on it, i.e. kite fliers, wind surfers and watermelo pit spitters, etc. I understand the east side of Reno gets less wind - is that so and if so, what sections are best. And is the wind constant. I lived in Kansas (which is a native american word for wind) and we have had days where it blows at 45 mph for 3 or 4 days - so I am used to it, but don't like it.

The other question is about the cold. How bad does it get? I have lived in cold climates and been buried in 50 plus inches of snow, but did not like it. It appears like the weather moderates in the afternoons in the Reno area, which would allow me to get out and hike, but when the sun goes down it looks like it cools off fast. Would appreciate a confirmation of my assessment.

Also appreciate any feedback. If I can give you any info on where I live (San Antonio) please let me know.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 04:51 PM

10 posts, read 44,661 times
Default Reno area

I'm also looking to move to Dayton from climate that gets snowy in the winter. I was told Reno's snow days burn off relatively fast.

I'm also kind scared of scorpions, but I don't believe they are nearly as prolific as they are in AZ.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:51 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,225,282 times
It snows - some years more than others. I've seen Reno come to a stand still due to several feet of snow that did not melt but thats rather rare. The winter storms that dump a lot of snow come and go and rarely stop things for more than a day or 2. Getting over the mountains to California in the winter is hit and miss, it really just depends on the weather.

It can be very cold in the winter, I have experienced below zero on numerous occassions.
Even in the summer, when that sun goes down the temp can really drop.
This past winter was very mild as far as cold/snow go. The summers are short, the fall and winter seem like they go on for forever

Its windy, the N. Valleys and Washoe Valley can be brutal, I don't know about all the other areas, the closer one gets to the mountains the windier it seems to be but I have no data to support that. I hate the wind.

The area is brown, rain is rare and its just icky brown until you get up into the tree line or some of the really well established neighborhoods that have trees etc, otherwise its a desert and it looks like one.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:34 AM

Default Thanks

Thank you for the feedback. I hope to get more. I usually am not such a whiner about moving somewhere - my father was career military and so was I, so I have moved no less than 30 times in my life. I have never been so apprehensive about making a mistake until now. I guess that is because wherever I go, it is going to be my retirement home - no more move - so I have to get it right.

Thank you for your tolerance and patience.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:05 AM

42,862 posts, read 26,322,713 times
It gets windy. It's worse in some areas than others. We live fairly high up (5k ft) in southwest Reno and while we have a great view from our west facing deck, there are times when we can barely stand up out there because of the wind.

And, it's fairly isolated from other metropolitan areas. We convinced ourselves that living 3 or 4 hours from the SF Bay area was just great until the reality set in that if we wanted to go there we could well be held hostage by weather or road work in the pass, and now- the price of gas. It's hard to justify spending $60 on gas to drive to Sacramento to "save money" at Ikea.

I grew up in the SF bay area and after over a decade of Reno, I long to be back there but that's not likely since Reno was so devastated by the recession, I have lost all of the equity in my home and am pretty much stuck here, probably until I die, surrounded by dismal shopping centers where half the stores have gone out of business in the last 3 years.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:34 PM

Default For 2sleepy

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds a bit dismal. I don't have to worry much about shopping unless NAS Fallon closes down and that is not likely. I will be travelling a lot though and gas is a concern - but for me the cold is the worst factor. I don't mind cold, but it seems to last a long time at that elevation. I might have to reconsider this. I am trying to get the wife to move home to Hawaii, but then we have the housing expense thing. Guess we won't be able to tell our grandkids about the good ole days - cause they sure aint.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:59 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,361,635 times
Its very windy year round not as much in the summer. but that wind is nasty and scarry.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:22 PM

148 posts, read 545,966 times
It's NOT that windy here. Jeez. There are a few wind days when it blows crazy and knocks over my garbage can, but for the most part, it's not windy. There are City wind turbines here that can't even pay themselves off. As for the cold, it's dry cold, so unlike NYC or Missouri it doesn't go through your clothes and your bones. There's silver in these hills, not as much gold. I heard you can find more gold in the cracks of sidewalks of NYC or the beaches of South Beach, Miami. There are gold-diggers and herpesologists here but mostly in our bars. Haha, couldn't resist. Reno is nice and laid back, but if I retired today, I'd go to Hawaii. It's not as dismal as that dude above said. Maybe where he lives but Midtown just opened a bunch of bars and restaurants and is planning more. Of course we have the worst unemployment but most are just living with their parents now and waiting out the storm. Crime is very low.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:28 PM

843 posts, read 2,218,317 times
I'd have to say even the panhandlers are nice... We walked around quite a bit when we came out to find a house, stayed at Harrah's... saw some panhandlers.. but they didn't seem all that aggressive...

I'm rather large and to some a bit scary looking which may have had something to do with it, but I didn't notice them accosting anyone..

Old 03-30-2012, 02:23 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,361,635 times
heare are a few storys about the bad wind we get and how it has distroyed so many homes and land if you google you can find about 15 more links about the bad wind and problems it causes in N. Nv
http://abcnews.go.com/US/reno-wildfi...ry?id=14985112

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MNJC1MSCN6.DTL

http://www.wunderground.com/US/NV/003.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area