Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 01:33 AM

29 posts, read 84,324 times

Advertisements

I remember very well the first week of January 2005 when close to five feet of snow fell here in Dayton and was still around in mid March. Parts of Reno, especially the NW (summerset) area got closer to seven feet. This past winter, 2011-2012 only a few inches.
I remember December of 2009 when it got down to -14 in Dayton. Reno was around -5 at the airport.
As well as the last weekend of April 2000 and six inches of snow.
This past Memorial Day weekend for the umteenth time it snowed, hailed, sleet.
We went to the Reno Aces game on Sunday of Memorial Day 2011 (un-scheduled double header) and we got all four seasons in the first seven innings of the first game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 03:09 AM

29 posts, read 84,324 times
I haven't seen one in a few years, but there are scorpions in northern Nevada as well.
Threre are panhandlers in many areas. Freeway off ramps, stripmall driveways etc. 4th St in Reno is a ghetto. I don't belive in evolution, but when I drive on 4th St, which is a few times a month, I almost change my mind.
As far as wind not being destructive, just a few words: Caughlin Ranch fire, November 2011 and Washoe Drive fire January 2012

Last edited by KrazyKatMan; 06-18-2012 at 03:11 AM.. Reason: skiped a word

Old 06-18-2012, 08:26 AM

42,812 posts, read 26,502,502 times
I live in Caughlin Ranch and can tell you for a fact, in the winter it is usually at least 10 degrees colder here than elsewhere in Reno and while the snow may well melt quickly in other areas, we have to do a lot of shoveling here and even though we pay HOA dues, those do not include snow shoveling (or much of anything else for that matter). I love gardening but I only have a small area where I can plant a garden so I use containers, unfortunately it is so windy up here that when I tried to put plant on my deck the plants were virtually stripped bare of leaves by the wind. In Reno, the adage is that you don't plant your tomatoes until the snow melts from Peavine, but this year that didn't hold true, I had to cover all my veggies in the first week of June when it snowed.
I like Hidden Valley, it is generally less windy than the SW of Reno and is home to the best public dog park in town =). OSW has a lot of character and is very nice, it feels more like a Portland neighborhood than it does Reno. I know many people who like Spanish Springs, but to me it lacks character and is just a sea of virtually identical houses.
Honestly, as much of a mess as California is, I would return in a heartbeat if the price of houses stablilized enough that I could at least sell my house for what I paid for it 13 years ago. I miss year round gardening, being able to drive to an Ikea store or Fry's electronics without making it an all day adventure, and the proximity to the bay and the ocean that I enjoyed in the bay area. Don't get me wrong, Reno has some great attributes - it's just that after 13 years I think I would prefer Reno in smaller doses, maybe a weekend once a month.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:01 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,766,369 times
Make sure you have saved enough money. At least enough to live on for one year. Mind you that Reno, or all of Nevada got destroyed by the recession. In fact, Nevada has high unemployment. The highest in the nation. If you don't like it here, make sure to have enough for relocation.

I do enjoy it here. However, I only think of Reno as a "Weekend Getaway". Or a visit during Hot August Nights, Reno Rodeo, Rib Cook Off and Street Vibrations. Even though California has problems, I'd rather be there. But, I'm stuck here until I die. Or I'm lucky to win a great deal of money.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:08 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,766,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKatMan View Post
4th St in Reno is a ghetto. I don't belive in evolution, but when I drive on 4th St, which is a few times a month, I almost change my mind.
You've never driven down Oddie? 4th St is nowhere near as bad as Oddie. That area between I-80 and McCarran, west of Pyramid and east of 395 is a dump. Most of the bad areas are in the McCarran loop.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:58 PM

140 posts, read 335,503 times
It is windy and it does get cold and snow. Wind picks up around 3 or so and dies down around sundown.
It is brown and high desert. The beautiful parts are the treelines, and Lake Tahoe being right there.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:55 PM

4 posts, read 8,021 times
Scorpions are a non-issue. I have lived in Reno almost 20 years and have only ever seen one. If you go hiking out in the desert you are much more likely to encounter a rattlesnake than a scorpion. Also, the snow does often melt off due to the sunlight, but not always. It does get cold enough in the winter for snow to stick around for a while. But even if there is snow on the ground it will still probably be sunny

Old 10-31-2012, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,936 times
Reno is a great retirement location if you are retired and don't need to work, or travel, or enjoy cultural events and locations. You are isolated here and walled in on all 4 sides. Going in any direction other than West from here involves barren wasteland for what feels like days. Going West requires a trip across some beautiful mountains but to where? Sacramento? OK if you like it or have family there. If you are retired and like to watch TV, shop at Costco, and eat at buffets, we've got you covered. There are generally two seasons: Winter and Summer. Winter from late October to April, Summer the rest. Winter is cold, windy, brown, and dead with occasional snow. Summer is hot, dry, windy, and brown. By dead, I mean, no moisture, no precipitation, to allow trees and landscaping to thrive in the spring and summer. By August, many trees have given up and let their leaves get crispy brown before turning for fall. Fall and Spring last about a week or so due to wind blowing every leaf or blossom off. I do concede that some people love it here. You may be one who does.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:36 PM

7 posts, read 11,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
None?? I'd think one would still want to use some form of flea/tick protection?
Fleas and ticks require a certain amount of humidity to survive. It takes temperatures of 60 degrees or more for fleas to breed and a humidity of around 50 percent for the flea larvae to hatch.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:11 PM

18 posts, read 44,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKurz View Post
We are planning to move to Reno in Jan 2013. I have read gobs of threads that ask the same questions, and consequently, get the same answers, but nothing seems current, so forgive me if I am redundant. I just want some current answers.

I have learned to give info first to avoid questions coming back at me, so let me give you all a quick snapshot. I am retired military (33 years of service) and a fairly successful author. My wife is a federal employee and retires in Jan 2013.

We actually wanted to live in northern California or Southern Arizona, but both states tax my military retirement and have higher taxes and housing prices, so we figured Reno is a good locale to be able to day trip to California whenever we want to.

I am also into gold prospecting. Let me clarify that. I do not have gold fever - I like to hike and am a herpetologist, so I figured while I am out I could do something else that seems enjoyable - metal detect. I have joined the local club in Reno already and will have access to their claims, but sure would like to meet or hook up with some folks who can teach me. I am book smart - have all of Delos' books and many others - but not very field savy.

What worries me most is the wind. I hate wind. I don't know anyone who likes it except those whose hobbies depend on it, i.e. kite fliers, wind surfers and watermelo pit spitters, etc. I understand the east side of Reno gets less wind - is that so and if so, what sections are best. And is the wind constant. I lived in Kansas (which is a native american word for wind) and we have had days where it blows at 45 mph for 3 or 4 days - so I am used to it, but don't like it.

The other question is about the cold. How bad does it get? I have lived in cold climates and been buried in 50 plus inches of snow, but did not like it. It appears like the weather moderates in the afternoons in the Reno area, which would allow me to get out and hike, but when the sun goes down it looks like it cools off fast. Would appreciate a confirmation of my assessment.

Also appreciate any feedback. If I can give you any info on where I live (San Antonio) please let me know.

Thanks.
after you buy your house since your a vet, be sure to sign up for the property tax exemption in washoe county.

http://www.co.washoe.nv.us/assessor/exempt.htm

Last edited by donkin; 11-13-2012 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: updated link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area