Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 12:04 AM

433 posts, read 587,791 times

Advertisements

What is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 05:36 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,252,400 times
wich deity are you talking about because some are personifications of different qualitys of God-

Old 04-14-2010, 06:08 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,112,716 times
Generally speaking, I think we decided long ago that certain things weren't acceptable in a civilized society. We made up gods and made up the idea that these rules come from him (usually a him). That sorta gave those beliefs, his beliefs, a little more punch to them. Doing something to tick off the gods is a lot more scary than doing something wrong in the eyes of your fellow man. Why, you might even call it a sin

His morals come from whatever we assign to him.

You'd be surprised at how many cultures have/had similar fables to the ones some believe in today. One of the main ones is that god, being mad at men and his sinful ways, sent a teacher to earth in order to straighten us out, or save us if you're a christian.

It's an amazing coincidence how similar some of these are, especially when there's almost no way all of them borrowed from each other.

I don't personally see anything wrong with myths if people take good lessons from them and live good, morals live because of such things. The problem is always when some think their god is the one true god/way and that all heretics can either convert or die.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:16 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,252,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
Generally speaking, I think we decided long ago that certain things weren't acceptable in a civilized society. We made up gods and made up the idea that these rules come from him (usually a him). That sorta gave those beliefs, his beliefs, a little more punch to them. Doing something to tick off the gods is a lot more scary than doing something wrong in the eyes of your fellow man. Why, you might even call it a sin

His morals come from whatever we assign to him.

You'd be surprised at how many cultures have/had similar fables to the ones some believe in today. One of the main ones is that god, being mad at men and his sinful ways, sent a teacher to earth in order to straighten us out, or save us if you're a christian.

It's an amazing coincidence how similar some of these are, especially when there's almost no way all of them borrowed from each other.

I don't personally see anything wrong with myths if people take good lessons from them and live good, morals live because of such things. The problem is always when some think their god is the one true god/way and that all heretics can either convert or die.
dont forget only SOME think that-what about the ones who understand that all expansions of God are the same God-just different moods and energy's and charictaristics and stuff of the same supreme personality of Godhead.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:15 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,055,262 times
I think morals are basically what allow us to live together as a society and are necessary so that, in such close quarters (at least as compared to some other animals, anyway), we don't wind up just completely killing one another, since living very closely can cause serious animosity over any number of things and we will definitely indulge in our instincts over this animosity unless we have these rules. And that would be counter-survival in the long run.

If we lived more of a solitary existence we wouldn't need them as much.

Notice that other societal animals (such as dogs) also have what appear to be morality rules and are very strict in observing them, and they also have hierarchy rules as we do.

I don't think that in itself is either proof for or against God.

I believe these rules are basic in any number of religions because they just are common sense; they just really are rules we need to observe in order to be able to live together...whether we're religious or not, and no matter what religion our particular community or culture or what-have-you primarily follows.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:38 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,641,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
What is it?
I'm curious to see how many people chime in to speak for a Deity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality