Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:27 PM

573 posts, read 2,061,946 times

Advertisements

If your child told you that he was someone else in a previous life and gave you specific information like names of people and places, and other information that would lead to solve the case? AND to make his claims stronger, he has at least 1 birthmark on his body he says was a wound he suffered and later died from in his past life.

Would you ignore all of this and just tell yourself that it's part of his imagination?

Would you pray for him because this belief is not part of your religion?

or

Would you investigate to see if his claims are true? If so, what would your reaction be if the conclusion was that his statements are true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 09:18 PM

13,813 posts, read 28,553,390 times
I'd spank him and send him up to his room.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:45 PM

783 posts, read 1,328,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
Would you ignore all of this and just tell yourself that it's part of his imagination?
No.

Quote:
Would you investigate to see if his claims are true? If so, what would your reaction be if the conclusion was that his statements are true?
Yes. We investigate many things, this wouldn’t be any different than most of them.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:49 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,900,758 times
I am not a Christian parent. In fact I am an atheist parent. I wouldn't believe he was reincarnated even if I did verify the names of people and places. After all, he could have read it in the library or saw it on tv, just as easily as I could look it up online or at a library.

But, what I would do is talk a lot with my son. I would find out what is stressing or bothering him. What unmet emotional needs he has, and attempt to figure out why he would claim to be reincarnated? I'd show love and compassion, but I would not believe he was actually reincarnated. I'd suspect that either the kid is making it all up for attention or something like that or he has some psychiatric problems.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:06 AM

33,593 posts, read 37,230,635 times
How old is your child? If quite young it may have been just a dream he had....I can remember being confused by dreams when I was a kid.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:40 AM

48,502 posts, read 97,029,878 times
Basically I say he is much like many now and influenced by what he sees and hears being a child. How are you going to seriously investigate this unless your a time travelr in reality. Remember it common for kids to actaully have invisible friends they talk to also.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:15 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,253,943 times
Quote:
If your child told you that he was someone else in a previous life and gave you specific information like names of people and places, and other information that would lead to solve the case? AND to make his claims stronger, he has at least 1 birthmark on his body he says was a wound he suffered and later died from in his past life.

or

i remember watching a program one time about this and there was a kid who was only 4 years old and claimed to be his mother's father in his past life=he was able to explain how he died and give details of what and where it happened-he was a cop and got shot-the parents were shocked at what this little kid was telling them because they had never spoken to him about it and the detail he could give-

but sometimes the hypnotist are only opening up the imagination of the child-so i dont know-you'd have to look into it-but there are some real cases where people can remember certain detail's of their past lives

Old 04-14-2010, 06:24 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,900,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
i remember watching a program one time about this and there was a kid who was only 4 years old and claimed to be his mother's father in his past life=he was able to explain how he died and give details of what and where it happened-he was a cop and got shot-the parents were shocked at what this little kid was telling them because they had never spoken to him about it and the detail he could give-
There are many possible explanations for that. Although no one may have directly told the child how his grandfather died, he may have overheard bits and pieces that he put together.

Furthermore, people tend to remember and be amazed by the hits and forget the misses. Without an actual recording of the details the child provided, we cannot depend on the memories of the conversation by those who heard it. He could have got some details wrong which the amazed family members overlooked or brushed aside (getting any details wrong would demonstrate that he was not his grandfather). He may have said some things that sound specific, but would apply to many people who are killed; the family members then say to themselves the child must be referring to this or that detail, and again be amazed. That is how the crooks who pretend to talk with dead people deceive others. I am not saying the child was trying to deceive, but he may have benefited from his family members' brains' tendency to make information fit into expected patterns.

By 4-years-old, the child has surely been exposed to cops getting killed in the media (news, tv shows, etc) no matter how careful the parents are to screen what the child sees. And, I bet the kid knew his granddad had been shot and killed while working as a cop, even if the family never shared the details. I bet he imagined what it would have been like, and perhaps mistake his imagining for a memory.

We'll never know which possible explanation is right. But, our brains make so many logical errors when processing information and have so many biases and heuristics, that we just can't depend on them as a reliable source for evidence of the supernatural. We need video or audio recordings, actual police reports and crime scene photos, etc. Skeptics reviewing the data, not someone who emotionally wants to believe, etc.

I don't believe anyone is willfully lying about this boy and the details he told, but I do believe that brains are prone to tricking themselves and the miraculous story as told is unreliable.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:07 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,054,497 times
What would you do Christian parents?

Quote:

or

Maybe the Christian forum is a better place to ask this question as that is where most of them hang out....... You will probably get lots of interesting answers.....

Old 04-15-2010, 02:04 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,781,555 times
Quote:

or

Drive the demons out of the possessed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality