Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 11:06 PM

433 posts, read 587,342 times

Advertisements

Since religious people think everyone in the universe worship something. Following their logic, for those who do not worship Gods, are there anyone worshiping nature? What would be nature's moral values and worldviews?

Is there any nature's second coming, rapture? Does nature repent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 03:59 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Because nature tends to generally look pretty or impressive at least, there has been this view that it is Very Good so God mustha dunnit, and so, 'nature' is to be seen as a huge Alpha Course poster: 'Another triumph for the God administration'.

In fact it is not too nice with competition, extinction, the killing of cubs so as to make the females fertile and the targeting of the young or feeble as they are easier to catch. It is what we'd expect from Natural selection which generally places survival of the individual above anything else, with the immediate tribal group coming a close second.

But, as I say, it all looks pretty if one ignores the war to the death of the termites in the grass and shugs off the squeal in the thrashing bushes and the sound of rending flesh. Even volcanoes, Tornadoes and earthquakes are at least, impressive and, if they kill a few people, the theology of Sin will probably do to explain that away, provided one doesn't ask too many questions.

Similarly, since it all looks quite nicely restful with not too many humans about, when they get together it's easy to sniff at the clamour and bustle and tell yourself that the human way is not so pretty as God's would be in the 'Last days' leaflets with just a modicum of humans to play with the Lions in a perfect world and never mind the problem of overcrowding in a world without family planning.

So it was easy for St. Francis to hear in the twitter of the birdies screaming 'Stay off my patch or I'll scrag you' the praises of the Lord by his creation, and to see in the flurry of famished beaks as he tossed unsuitable breadcrumbs to the starlings a reflection of letting little children come unto Him instead of the frenzied competition of evolution.

And he probably would have dismissed it all with a saintly smile, if you'd have explained it to him.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:17 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
I think Nature's mantra would be: "If you run fast enough, I won't eat you."

Old 04-12-2010, 01:41 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Because nature tends to generally look pretty or impressive at least, there has been this view that it is Very Good so God mustha dunnit, and so, 'nature' is to be seen as a huge Alpha Course poster: 'Another triumph for the God administration'.

In fact it is not too nice with competition, extinction, the killing of cubs so as to make the females fertile and the targeting of the young or feeble as they are easier to catch. It is what we'd expect from Natural selection which generally places survival of the individual above anything else, with the immediate tribal group coming a close second.

But, as I say, it all looks pretty if one ignores the war to the death of the termites in the grass and shugs off the squeal in the thrashing bushes and the sound of rending flesh. Even volcanoes, Tornadoes and earthquakes are at least, impressive and, if they kill a few people, the theology of Sin will probably do to explain that away, provided one doesn't ask too many questions.

Similarly, since it all looks quite nicely restful with not too many humans about, when they get together it's easy to sniff at the clamour and bustle and tell yourself that the human way is not so pretty as God's would be in the 'Last days' leaflets with just a modicum of humans to play with the Lions in a perfect world and never mind the problem of overcrowding in a world without family planning.

So it was easy for St. Francis to hear in the twitter of the birdies screaming 'Stay off my patch or I'll scrag you' the praises of the Lord by his creation, and to see in the flurry of famished beaks as he tossed unsuitable breadcrumbs to the starlings a reflection of letting little children come unto Him instead of the frenzied competition of evolution.

And he probably would have dismissed it all with a saintly smile, if you'd have explained it to him.
Well written, Arequipa. You have eloquently expressed the major difficulty I have with this physical reality . . . "red in tooth and claw". . . that troubles me still. The consciousness I encounter in deep meditation has not provided me with any satisfactory answers (since I have to formulate them as Yes/No questions). My imagination has been insufficient to produce a suggested rationale for it that has received a "Yes" response. It is a huge stumbling block to my full understanding and acceptance of our animalistic reality. The stark contrast with the pure love and acceptance I encounter is a complete enigma.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:34 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,004,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Well written, Arequipa. You have eloquently expressed the major difficulty I have with this physical reality . . . "red in tooth and claw". . . that troubles me still. The consciousness I encounter in deep meditation has not provided me with any satisfactory answers (since I have to formulate them as Yes/No questions). My imagination has been insufficient to produce a suggested rationale for it that has received a "Yes" response. It is a huge stumbling block to my full understanding and acceptance of our animalistic reality. The stark contrast with the pure love and acceptance I encounter is a complete enigma.
When the prey (rabbit) is a part of God and the predator (wolf) is also a part of God,then there is no conflict.There is only conflict and a sense of unfairness and cruelty if we try to separate the physical universe from God and formulate them as beings totally separate from God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality