Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Religion trains people to have high moral standards, or low moral standards?
High standards 11 23.40%
Low standards 15 31.91%
No effect 21 44.68%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 02:52 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
It can swing either way.

There's no reason to think religious people live by a higher moral standard than atheists though. There are bad apples in all crowds.
I can't speak for Christians, I can only speak to the behaviors that I have seen.

I grew up in the south, the land of fundamentalism. I have never been around a group of hypocrites bigger than many of the so-called Christians I knew. Talk about Sunday morals! It certainly made me re-think organized religion.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying they're ALL bad, but I haven't met enough of the good ones to fill a church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 03:00 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Religions have the lowest standards for becoming one of the herd.
When is the last time you heard a religious authority lecturing about morals that were not a phase of sexual behavior?

Old 05-11-2011, 03:06 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,075 times
Uh,let me think. Never.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:28 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
I think each individual has their own reaction to religion. Religion defines and instills morality for some and does just the opposite for others.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:35 PM

659 posts, read 1,101,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I think each individual has their own reaction to religion. Religion defines and instills morality for some and does just the opposite for others.
Well said. People are people. Give them any belief system or moral schema and some will use it for self-improvement, while others use it for self-justification.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:56 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,325,365 times
The question is irrelevant. One does not need religion, spirituality, or lack of either in order to have morals. It all depends on the individuals upbringing(both parental and social) and mental state.

A persons moral level has little to do with religion.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:20 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,423,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustNobody View Post
It depends on the religion. Some have little to no effect. Some result in usually low moral standards, like Islam. Some result in usually higher standards like Buddhism. Christianity tends to be around no effect, though it has some effect, and it depends on the Christian and what parts they choose to focus on if they focus on anything in the bible at all.
Ha ha, wow. Absolutely no evidence for any of that.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:01 PM

5,901 posts, read 3,789,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
The question is irrelevant. One does not need religion, spirituality, or lack of either in order to have morals. It all depends on the individuals upbringing(both parental and social) and mental state.

A persons moral level has little to do with religion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Ha ha, wow. Absolutely no evidence for any of that.
It's obvious you didn't read this post so I'll post it again for ya. And this is a thread from 2011.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:07 PM

652 posts, read 873,548 times
High moral standards.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:09 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
I think it does aim, train and argue for high moral standards. It is arguable that all social systems other than those that represent a group that rejects social standing (and there are some religious in there, too) aim at high moral standards. As an atheist i am concerned with improving moral standards and, while I have to concede that religion has a sort of monkey press button - monkey get peanut type of encouragement to lead a good life, it often seems to lack effectiveness and can so easily go off the rails.

I think there are better and more effective ways of accomplishing higher moral standards and they are to be found in humanism, reasoning and education rather than in religion.

That said, yes, religion does train people to have high moral standards - though those moral standards were in fact already identified before the religion adapted them.

Well, I seem to be in the minority. I could be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality