Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 11:27 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,511,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackalackish View Post
Actually, the proles rise up because they become educated and learn the truth of life instead of taking the spoon-fed information given to them. Just ask the French Revolutionists and more recently, the Russians. And soon to be the Chinese. Why do you think these govts or leaders only succeed if they only give their people one source of information and repress anything else (or teach that the "others" are the enemy and are evil and only want to kill your way of life)? Because that's the only way they keep their followers and believers.

The modern day religious leaders are becoming more hysterical because someone is telling their followers that they are wearing no clothes and they have to make the world even worse to hang onto their followers. Because all of a sudden there is more info out there and their followers are no longer in the church's little coccoon. They are being exposed to new ideas and seeing that it really is OK to rebel against what they see as wrong instead of just humping up and taking it because they don't see any other way.

It's simple, and you are right, it has been seen throughout history...but blaming individuals for making a rational decision about their lives and about leaving their spoon feeders is just another way to "spread the hysteria" that no way should anyone pay attention to the man behind the curtain.
Well said. Education has always been a motivating factor in change, but this should be obvious. Once people realize what is going on is wrong, they move to change it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 07:25 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,189,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
No attacks. That thread's a prime example of why many people become atheists, something that Haaziq readily denies.
You clearly missed the point of what I stated.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:44 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,795,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
You clearly missed the point of what I stated.
I didn't miss it. I get your point that atheism is not always driven by strife. A prime example is the researcher who finally thinks he knows too much.

But I'm more a statistics guy driven by numbers. Theories look good on paper, but badly out of way with pragmatics.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:13 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,189,485 times
Quote:
I didn't miss it. I get your point that atheism is not always driven by strife.
No, the point is that atheism based on emotions has a weak basis.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:14 PM

598 posts, read 918,947 times
Quote:
Theist: So, why are you an atheist?
Atheist: My whole life sucked, I am deep in dept and mortgages are killing me. I used to go to church. I prayed for money to rain in thru my roof. And I didn't get it
Theist: Oh Go on....
Atheist: I got laid off. And I went to school and got deeper into debt. And I still make 75K per annum My life still sucks. I can't even buy myself clothes I like. I still shop in clearance, ggrrr
Theist: The verdict
Atheist: Your God's a psycho. Look at all the suffering in the world. I got a second job in starbucks. I'm gonna go make coffee, and you can go take a hike, fundie!

Good enough, bud?
Antlered Chamataka is a typical Christian. Yes, Good.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:50 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,144,873 times
Antlered Chamataka

Oh, puleeze! Now that is one serious case of projection.

When an alcoholic is in the depths of despair they always seek the atheist 12 steps? Puleeze!

When a person is on their death bed after living a life of religious conviction turns to atheism? Puleeze!

Who do parasite priest and pastors pray upon? The poor, those experiencing personal hardship, those who are depressed or so damned oppressed down looks like up to them!

No my friend, being downtrodden isn't that path to atheism, that is the sole turf of the theist.

Last edited by ovcatto; 03-02-2010 at 09:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality