Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 01:10 PM

303 posts, read 569,963 times

Advertisements

the problem elmer is that evolution is based on survival of the fittest
and death & destruction is part of that process which mean God created death when infact Paul says "death came into the world through one mans sin"
" all of creation groans" for its redemption
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 01:24 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,184,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caucazhin View Post
the problem elmer is that evolution is based on survival of the fittest
and death & destruction is part of that process which mean God created death when infact Paul says "death came into the world through one mans sin"
" all of creation groans" for its redemption
But that doesn't change the fact that God uses death and destruction to give birth to life. In fact, without the process that death brings about, you don't have the necessary refinement that holiness and immortality requires.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:05 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
As long as carnal minds are focused on our carnal bodies and physical vessels . . . there can be no understanding of our "spiritual creation" as "living souls." God is a Spirit and we are made in His image (as Spirit) . . . NOT the carnal physical bodies that serve as the vessels for our souls. This leaves all the "forming from the dust of the ground" to physical evolution as the method . . . and the "creating of our living souls" as the event of our creation.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:05 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,620,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Any god that uses evolution and death to make us is extremely cruel.
This idea is not even one one billionth as cruel as eternal torment (if you believe in such a thing).

I would be more inclined to throw a fit about that (if I believed in such a thing).

So (if you believe in such a thing) I would suggest a different angle to make your case instead of the 'it's cruel' angle. Maybe a scientific argument against evolution would better hold water?

Old 02-02-2010, 04:08 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,775,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Ok, you've given more credit to Satan than he deserves... he deserves none.

God is not stagnant, and neither is His creation. I do not consider it blasphemy to think that He can rule over a creation that changes as forces dictate - is not man himself forced to change as His spirit invades?
I dont have a clue what you mean by saying 'ive given credit to Satan....' , and, I would encourage you to carefully study the Bible and make sure youre attending a local Church that holds Gods Word in high esteem ; otherwise you will be tossed around like the waves of the sea by following non biblical / false doctrine.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:19 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,184,699 times
Quote:
I dont have a clue what you mean by saying 'ive given credit to Satan....' , and, I would encourage you to carefully study the Bible and make sure youre attending a local Church that holds Gods Word in high esteem ; otherwise you will be tossed around like the waves of the sea by following non biblical / false doctrine.
When you state a certain opinion is "from the pit of hell", it sounds like you esteem one power over Another.

As far as doctrine, one thing many on this board do is lower their opinion of the King - like you've done. Is He in charge, or not?

Old 02-02-2010, 05:07 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,764,385 times
Quote:
I came across this short treatise on the subject and thought it would make for some discussion on this often misled belief amongst Followers of Christ to try and make God fit our cultures philosophy :

The Cruel God of Evolution

1 Corinthians 15:22
For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive.
Some people think that they can believe in Jesus Christ as their Savior and at the same time believe God created through evolution. These people are called theistic evolutionists or progressive creationists. What kind of nature would a god have who creates through the death that is essential to evolution?

First, death would have to have begun from the very moment of creation. Death, disease, pain and suffering would have had to originate with this god. Long before man, according to evolution, dinosaurs were eating other dinosaurs, and entire species were dying out. Rather than loving us, such a god would be indifferent and capricious. The god that would use evolution to make living things would have no right to punish sin. He would have had no right to bring a worldwide Flood to punish sinful man. This kind of god would be nothing more than a bully. Such a god would not be likely to have given us his word. And nothing the Bible says about him could be true. If the Bible really is from him, it is full of untrue claims. Any god who created using evolution is not the God of the Bible. If you think about it, the god of evolution sounds surprisingly like the devil.

What's wrong with believing that God created through evolution over millions of years? Any god that uses evolution and death to make us is extremely cruel. More importantly, if there was no first Adam to bring sin and death into the world, there was no need for Christ, Whom the Bible calls the last Adam, to die and save us from sin and death.

Prayer: I rejoice, dear Father, because you are gracious and merciful to me. Amen.

References: Creation, 9-11/99. pp. 42-45, "The god of an old Earth."
Death has always been a part of Gods plan, it is not as if God made a mistake or had an accident and then all the sudden everything went to hell. God always intended mankind to know sin and thus to die, we cannot know good without evil. Before Adam ate the fruit of the tree of Knowledge, he had no knowledge of good or evil. After all it was the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, not just the tree of the knowledge of evil. God always knew we would sin and planned on it, thus he subjected us to the vanity of death in hope ...

Romans 8:20

For the creation (nature) was subjected to [a]frailty (to futility, condemned to frustration), not because of some intentional fault on its part, but by the will of Him Who so subjected it--[yet] with the hope(A)

God created evil for a purpose, it was not simply on account of an accident or a mistake made by God or man ...

Isa 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil(Heb. - ra`): I the LORD do all these things.

Evil in the above verse is the same word found in Gen 2:9, used in reference to the tree of knowledge ...

Gen 2:9
And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil(Heb. - ra`).

Pro 16:4
The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil(ra`).

Old 02-02-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Death has always been a part of Gods plan, it is not as if God made a mistake or had an accident and then all the sudden everything went to hell. God always intended mankind to know sin and thus to die, we cannot know good without evil. Before Adam ate the fruit of the tree of Knowledge, he had no knowledge of good or evil. After all it was the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, not just the tree of the knowledge of evil. God always knew we would sin and planned on it, thus he subjected us to the vanity of death in hope ...

Romans 8:20
For the creation (nature) was subjected to [a]frailty (to futility, condemned to frustration), not because of some intentional fault on its part, but by the will of Him Who so subjected it--[yet] with the hope(A)

God created evil for a purpose, it was not simply on account of an accident or a mistake made by God or man ...

Isa 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil(Heb. - ra`): I the LORD do all these things.

Evil in the above verse is the same word found in Gen 2:9, used in reference to the tree of knowledge ...

Gen 2:9
And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil(Heb. - ra`).

Pro 16:4
The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil(ra`).
Im afraid you have a very skewed comprehension of God and The Bible. God never intended death nor evil on the earth. You have adopted some misconceptions which demote the very character of our wonderful Creator ; IE: Isaiah 45:7 with God 'creating evil' --- here is the correct context of that passage : Why does Isaiah 45:7 say that God created evil? .

Old 02-02-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
When you state a certain opinion is "from the pit of hell", it sounds like you esteem one power over Another.

As far as doctrine, one thing many on this board do is lower their opinion of the King - like you've done. Is He in charge, or not?
Any teaching that denounces Gods character of being infinitely holy, completely perfect in all he does , all loving, full of compassion, etc...is from the pit of hell. My opinion of the biblical Creator is based on his inspired Word to all of Mankind ... specific instructions on how he created everything , how sin entered the world, the results of sin and what he did to redeem our sin, and what he will do to redeem the physical Earth from the decay that it is currently in. The mistake which many make, is that their truthsource isnt the Bible and is instead based on feelings or what someone has taught them without verifying it to be sound doctrine by checking The Bible .

Old 02-03-2010, 07:43 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,718,173 times
Quote:
God was entirely justified in practicing his infinite justice in destroying all but 8 people with animals when looking back on the willful rebellion / heinous acts that people had committed thru the suppression of their moral consciences .
And he'd also be entirely justified in guiding natural selection through death, unless you think that sin has somehow magically disappeared. Or maybe you think that some people can choose not to sin - but I thought most orthodox Christians rejected the idea of salvation through works alone so that can't be true. So killing people because they're evil or killing them because they're not part of the plan (or more accurately, because their death at a certain time is part of the plan) is morally equivalent in God's eyes.

But beyond that, he's God - anything he does is justified and good by definition. So it wouldn't be cruel to use evolution to guide man's development any more than it is cruel to kill off nearly every living thing in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality