Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 09:16 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,303,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsvmom View Post
I don't know if I'd boycott starbucks over this - but I really don't think that the above quote would make my latte go down smooth.

That's about my sentiment too. The particular quote in question seems a bit negative as well as anti-religious- "causing our own catastrophes?"

Maybe Starbucks would be well advised to just drop the philosophical "quotes" and stick to selling lattes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 11:28 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,022,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Is it possible she thought she was in St.Arbucks?
Oh Alpha...I just love waking up to some of your grand humor
You are so quick and witty it isn't even funny (oh, oops...yes, IT IS FUNNY)...lol Thank you for the laugh!

I will just say that it would be better to put nothing on the cups than to put something on that may offend. If they were to put something derogatory on there realting to Muslim, Budhist or other beliefs there would be H E double hockey sticks to pay. It's better to not put anything IMHO

Old 05-09-2007, 11:33 AM

646 posts, read 1,612,337 times
The lady is just way too picky. It is just a quote. Who cares.

I do not patronize some businesses because of their political affiliations, but that is a much bigger issue than a quote on a cup.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:45 PM

633 posts, read 2,545,104 times
well, i guess that's her choice. In fact, that's everyone's CHOICE. That's why we live here. I'm sick of being PC all the time. If you don't like what's on tv, change the channel. If you don't like what's on the radio, turn it to something else or listen to a CD. That doesn't mean you have the right to limit someone else's choices because it bothers you.

I happen to like Starbucks on occasion. If someone doesn't like what they do regarding their business, then they have other choices of places that sell those types of drinks.

It amazes me how some people think they can change every business/person to be in line with their way of thinking. As was said earlier, we are all different, and that's the way it should be.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:37 PM

562 posts, read 662,506 times
Well did the lady ever think about the meaning of the Starbucks symbolism which promotes a Goddess on the side of the cup with stars overhead? The owners of Starbucks aren't Christian, they are from an Earth based religion.

Freedom of religion, freedom of choice... Let her drink coffee from MacDonalds

Old 05-09-2007, 03:47 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,911,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
Let her drink coffee from MacDonalds
I think it's actually better coffee and certainly more affordable!

Old 05-09-2007, 04:27 PM

212 posts, read 860,058 times
I can see the anti-religious sentiment in the statement, however when I first read it, I saw how it can go both ways. Why would we look to God instead of ourselves? Some might say that it's innate in every human being that there's a God...my thought how it's just a basis for discussion as the cup intended.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:55 PM

562 posts, read 662,506 times
Quote:
I think it's actually better coffee and certainly more affordable!
I think you're right!

Old 05-09-2007, 09:36 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,911,014 times
Quote:
Is it possible she thought she was in St.Arbucks?
I wish I could take credit....sadly I heard this through a devotional in which the writer frequently had 'God moments' in a Starbucks. Can't take credit but I sure thought it fit.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:43 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,204,987 times
She's right when she says they should just stick to selling coffee. I read many of the other quotes they put on cups some are realy stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality