Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 09:21 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,830,023 times

Advertisements

Kids and church can be both trying and incredibly funny at times.

One day I brought my nephew to church he was 5 and very hyper. He is also being raised Wiccan so he had never been to a church before and didn't really know what was expected. Well after telling him to calm down several times I finally told him that he was being direspectful in God's house and he was to sit silent in time out until mass ended. I didn't hear another word from him for the 20 minutes left until church let out.

He was unusually quiet on the ride home so I asked if he was angry I had put him in time out. His response, "No I'm mad that you didn't tell me we were going to God's house before we left, I would have been good if I knew that!"

I just thought that was too cute. He's never acted out in church again to this day when he comes with us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 09:26 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,910,454 times
Great story.

Mine aren't nearly that cute.

My oldest son, when we was about 5, used to call our preacher the 'creature'. I guess he thought we were saying "Shhh, you need to listen to the creature." While I can appreciate the case of mistaken identity, I still thought it was cute.

Also, while watching a Panthers game, my youngest thought someone got called for "roughing the pastor."

While I've verbally been guilty of that, I thought it was hilarious.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:27 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,217,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Kids and church can be both trying and incredibly funny at times.

One day I brought my nephew to church he was 5 and very hyper. He is also being raised Wiccan so he had never been to a church before and didn't really know what was expected. Well after telling him to calm down several times I finally told him that he was being direspectful in God's house and he was to sit silent in time out until mass ended. I didn't hear another word from him for the 20 minutes left until church let out.

He was unusually quiet on the ride home so I asked if he was angry I had put him in time out. His response, "No I'm mad that you didn't tell me we were going to God's house before we left, I would have been good if I knew that!"

I just thought that was too cute. He's never acted out in church again to this day when he comes with us.
I guess he just needed the point of reference
even though raised Wiccan I am glad to see he does have the respect that many adults lack

Old 05-07-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Great story.

Mine aren't nearly that cute.

My oldest son, when we was about 5, used to call our preacher the 'creature'. I guess he thought we were saying "Shhh, you need to listen to the creature." While I can appreciate the case of mistaken identity, I still thought it was cute.

Also, while watching a Panthers game, my youngest thought someone got called for "roughing the pastor."

While I've verbally been guilty of that, I thought it was hilarious.
LOL @ creature!...

My son used to think everyone was praying to Grandpa...He always thought that they were saying...
"Our Father who are in Heaven, Hal be thy name.."...his Grandpa's name is Hal...LOL

Old 05-07-2007, 09:32 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,910,454 times
Quote:
LOL @ creature!...

My son used to think everyone was praying to Grandpa...He always thought that they were saying...
"Our Father who are in Heaven, Hal be thy name.."...his Grandpa's name is Hal...LOL
LOL That's hilarious.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
I guess he just needed the point of reference
even though raised Wiccan I am glad to see he does have the respect that many adults lack
Actually he was taught to respect everyone's beliefs as all in our family are taught. It just never occurred to me that the thought of being in God's house would make any difference to him. Kids are truly amazing to me at times.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:28 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,629,734 times
Quote:
Actually he was taught to respect everyone's beliefs as all in our family are taught. It just never occurred to me that the thought of being in God's house would make any difference to him. Kids are truly amazing to me at times.
I think it's cool that your nephew knew he should be respectful in the church, even if he is being raised in a different religion. Methinks we adults could take a lesson from the little man. Out of the mouths of babes, ehh?

Old 05-07-2007, 10:37 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,302,133 times
Quote:
LOL @ creature!...

Those are cute! I've got another one-we used to sing the song in church that said, "The Lord, the Lord is a rock eternal..." My little boy thought they were saying "The Lord, the Lord is a rocky turtle!" I asked him why he thought that? I said, "what kind of sense does that make?" He said emphatically, "it doesn't make ANY, but that's what I thought ya'll were saying!"

Old 05-07-2007, 11:00 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,629,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Those are cute! I've got another one-we used to sing the song in church that said, "The Lord, the Lord is a rock eternal..." My little boy thought they were saying "The Lord, the Lord is a rocky turtle!" I asked him why he thought that? I said, "what kind of sense does that make?" He said emphatically, "it doesn't make ANY, but that's what I thought ya'll were saying!"
That's a young'un for you! It doesn't have to make sense. They just go with the flow!

Old 05-07-2007, 11:13 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,134,696 times
Irishmom--I love this post!

I have two favorite stories right off the top.....

When my youngest daughter was 3 she had a favorite missionary, and the two of them would sometimes share glances and giggles during sacrament service. She had a favorite stuffed animal at the time (actually STILL!) and when he would come to the house for dinner she offered to let him hold "Turtle". This particular meeting our missionary sat a few rows behind us, and I saw her turning around and giggling at him. Then, out of the blue and from the corner of my eye, I saw Turtle fly up into the air toward him! It was so comical to all of a sudden see this stuffed animal flipping through the air and everyone started laughing!

Then a friend of mine was trying to teach her daughter how to tell when a blessing or prayer was over. She told her that when she heard "Amen", she could raise her head back up. One Sacrament meeting the closing prayer was a little lengthy....and you could her her daughter, in a quiet but firm voice, saying, "Amen",...."Say Amen!"

don't you just love it?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality