Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 06:24 AM

646 posts, read 1,612,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromcenFL View Post
Worldwide changes?? Genesis mentions 4 rivers flowing out from the Garden of Eden, one of which named as the Euphrates. Where are the other 3 now? The only other river that could qualify to be one geographically is the Tigris river, which means the landscape of the earth changed enough for 2 rivers to cease to exist, or join together to leave only the Tigris and Euphrates. Why would the writer of Genesis have made such an obvious mistake if he was going to great lengths to document other small details? Its out of character. And massive runoff channels??? Like maybe the Grand Canyon?? Formed by a little bit of water and a long time, or a lot of water in a much shorter amount of time. Not touting this as fact just putting the idea out there.
First, the writer of Genesis made many mistakes, so not being able to count to 4 is completely within character.

Secondly, saying that the flood must be true because the writer talks about 4 rivers, and now there are only two, is silly. There is no external validation for any other rivers, nor for the flood. That is a lot like me saying that when I went to sleep, I had 11 children. When I woke up, I only had 3. Therefore space aliens must have come and taken the other 8.

The Grand Canyon thing has been refuted a thousand times. Here is a quick list of problems with flood theory forming the canyon.

Plus, if the flood story were true, where did all the water go after the flood?

Old 05-09-2007, 12:20 PM

85 posts, read 415,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromcenFL View Post
What IS scientific fact, is that a gene pool of any species can not add new genes on its own.
That is completely wrong. Numerous studies have proven the opposite. You can go to PubMed to see the published research for yourself, and read this link for references: http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CB/CB102.html

Old 05-09-2007, 01:35 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,478,940 times
No one has answered my question yet; maybe I'm posting in the wrong forum.

Using the 7 days = 7 thousand years theory for the age of the earth and so on and so forth, it is my understanding that scholars believe the use of the word is implied. HOWEVER, not too long after that IN GENESIS it talks about people living hundreds of years. So, how in the heck is the earth 7k years old, but Noah lives to be 982 YEARS old. With that same sort of numerology wouldn't that put him in the hundreds of thousands of years old range??? How can you say the word "day" is implied to mean one thousand years, but the word YEAR is still just a year. Come ON! Give me a break!

Old 05-09-2007, 01:47 PM

111 posts, read 596,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Why would an explanation be owed to an all-knowing; all-powerful God???????
Because you're a sinner (wicked) by the things you do in this world, and God is Holy and Perfect (sinless and pure righteous). We cannot be in his presence because of our wicked ways, so as you're going through your life living wicked (doing unrighteous things), God is giving you opportunities to accept him... Now if you don't accept him (simply by believing that Christ died for your sins, and rose three days later), then it's you who must take the responsibilty of your decision to live your life based on your ideology.

God knows what you're thinking, and believing, because he is all-knowing, but he also gave you the power to accept him, or deny him. But in the end, when it's all said and done, you'll have to own up to your decision.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:49 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,909,089 times
Quote:
No one has answered my question yet; maybe I'm posting in the wrong forum.

Using the 7 days = 7 thousand years theory for the age of the earth and so on and so forth, it is my understanding that scholars believe the use of the word is implied. HOWEVER, not too long after that IN GENESIS it talks about people living hundreds of years. So, how in the heck is the earth 7k years old, but Noah lives to be 982 YEARS old. With that same sort of numerology wouldn't that put him in the hundreds of thousands of years old range??? How can you say the word "day" is implied to mean one thousand years, but the word YEAR is still just a year. Come ON! Give me a break!
You are correct. The Genesis account can not have the day=1000 years argument attached to it.

It's a literal 7 day creation. Sorry Christians, if ya can't stand the ridicule, you've picked the wrong religion.

I have no problem with that at all. IF GOD IS GOD, then there's nothing He couldn't do in one day, much less 7. This same thing came up in a discussion here in this thead....https://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...-theory-8.html

All the posts on that page are very good but I draw your attention to the last two....between me and another poster.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROMCATOGA View Post
Because you're a sinner (wicked) by the things you do in this world, and God is Holy and Perfect (sinless and pure righteous). We cannot be in his presence because of our wicked ways, so as you're going through your life living wicked (doing unrighteous things), God is giving you opportunities to accept him... Now if you don't accept him (simply by believing that Christ died for your sins, and rose three days later), then it's you who must take the responsibilty of your decision to live your life based on your ideology.

God knows what you're thinking, and believing, because he is all-knowing, but he also gave you the power to accept him, or deny him. But in the end, when it's all said and done, you'll have to own up to your decision.

I hate to sound so nonchalant but do you remember when the second Iraqi war started and the Iraqi Information Minister was getting on TV telling us how close Saddam's army was to defeating the Americans and how wonderful it was to be an Iraqi? etc. etc.

Just thought I'd throw that out there, I'll let you make the connection.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:55 PM

954 posts, read 815,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
You are correct. The Genesis account can not have the day=1000 years argument attached to it.

It's a literal 7 day creation. Sorry Christians, if ya can't stand the ridicule, you've picked the wrong religion.

I have no problem with that at all. IF GOD IS GOD, then there's nothing He couldn't do in one day, much less 7. This same thing came up in a discussion here in this thead....https://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...-theory-8.html

All the posts on that page are very good but I draw your attention to the last two....between me and another poster.
If the Christian god is omnimax, why did he need 7 days anyway...why not 'poof' and there it was?

Old 05-09-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
If the Christian god is omnimax, why did he need 7 days anyway...why not 'poof' and there it was?
I dunno, when you meet Him I hope He'll let you ask....

Old 05-09-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
I think a better question would be why he needed rest?

Old 05-09-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I think a better question would be why he needed rest?
To set an example for us. What's this got to do with the 7 day thing you begged for a response on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.