Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 11:56 AM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times

Advertisements

[quote=irishmom;671352]Do you live this as part of your lives? I mean do you think about it all the time or do you just think you are ready and when it happens it happens?

I believe the end times began the moment Jesus's feet left the ground when he ascended into Heaven. I don't think about all the time, but the violence I see around the world tells me it's closer than we think. I believe in the rapture so I won't be here during the seven years of tribulation, either I'll go to be with Lord before that or I'll be raptured so I have no need to worry for myself, just the unbelievers I am concerned about. What I know for sure is as a believer God will provide for me today and tomorrow. He is in control and knowing that I have nothing to fear whatever the future holds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 11:58 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
No it isn't!

He tells his followers that he will return and establish his kingdom within their lifetime.

Amen, I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation. (Matthew 23:36 NAB)

"Immediately after the tribulation of those days, the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming upon the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And he will send out his angels with a trumpet blast, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other. "Learn a lesson from the fig tree. When its branch becomes tender and sprouts leaves, you know that summer is near. In the same way, when you see all these things, know that he is near, at the gates. Amen, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have taken place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away. (Matthew 24:29-35 NAB)
???? He's talking about the generation AFTER the tribulation. What you highlighted actually does a pretty good job summing it up.

In a verse right before that he's talking about the temple being rebuilt and the 'abomination' spoken of by Daniel being in the temple...what gives???

Also, what's an NAB? I'm not familiar with that but I know that the Greek word there for generation is also translated 'race'. So, I don't know what that version is and I haven't looked it up in other versions...I'm sure it's the same and says generation as well...but still loook at the first phrase of what you copied/pasted. I've looked at that before but really, you should be able to see more than that, plad.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:24 PM

954 posts, read 812,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
???? He's talking about the generation AFTER the tribulation. What you highlighted actually does a pretty good job summing it up.

In a verse right before that he's talking about the temple being rebuilt and the 'abomination' spoken of by Daniel being in the temple...what gives???

Also, what's an NAB? I'm not familiar with that but I know that the Greek word there for generation is also translated 'race'. So, I don't know what that version is and I haven't looked it up in other versions...I'm sure it's the same and says generation as well...but still loook at the first phrase of what you copied/pasted. I've looked at that before but really, you should be able to see more than that, plad.
Well as far as I can see, he is talking to the disciples on the Mount of Olives and clearly say that some of them will see the second coming. No mention whatsoever of the next generation.

Also: he claims those standing RIGHT BEFORE HIM shall see the Armageddon.

Matthew 16:28 “There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.

NAB = New American Bible

Old 05-05-2007, 12:30 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
Well as far as I can see, he is talking to the disciples on the Mount of Olives and clearly say that some of them will see the second coming. No mention whatsoever of the next generation.

Also: he claims those standing RIGHT BEFORE HIM shall see the Armageddon.

Matthew 16:28 “There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.

NAB = New American Bible
Maybe I need to go back and look a little closer....but if it's coming IN His Kingdom...that'd be the assention after the crucifixtion. The Second Coming will have Him coming FROM His Kingdom.

I need to find that Bible. I've heard of the NASB, but no the NAB. Might be the same thing. Are you copying/pasting from a website, and, if so, which one???

Old 05-05-2007, 12:46 PM

954 posts, read 812,860 times
[quote=Alpha8207;672885]

Quote:
I need to find that Bible. I've heard of the NASB, but no the NAB. Might be the same thing.
Yes, it's the same one. Sorry, missed out the S

Quote:
Are you copying/pasting from a website, and, if so, which one???
www.biblegateway.com

Old 05-05-2007, 06:00 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,387 times
[quote=I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA;672771]
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Do you live this as part of your lives? I mean do you think about it all the time or do you just think you are ready and when it happens it happens?

I believe the end times began the moment Jesus's feet left the ground when he ascended into Heaven. I don't think about all the time, but the violence I see around the world tells me it's closer than we think. I believe in the rapture so I won't be here during the seven years of tribulation, either I'll go to be with Lord before that or I'll be raptured so I have no need to worry for myself, just the unbelievers I am concerned about. What I know for sure is as a believer God will provide for me today and tomorrow. He is in control and knowing that I have nothing to fear whatever the future holds.
First off, this must be the longest "end times" in history! Yes, I know the verses about Jesus coming like a thief in the night; no one knows when he will come, etc. But, this does seem to going on a little long.

Secondly, if one reads some of Jesus' words more carefully, it certainly seems to come across as though he was speaking about the apostles' lifetime, as to when he would return. Not 2000 or more years. There is definitely some room for interpretation, here.

Thirdly, and I don't mean to sound ugly about this, but why is it that Christians are so convinced that they will be okay, (via the Rapture), that everything else takes a back seat? I mean, how can everything be alright, believing that one will leave loved ones and friends behind? The believer's future may be secure, but those other folks are kind of screwed, so doesn't that give pause for some concern? I'm not trying to be entirely flip about that. It is something I've always wondered about. Kind of goes back to the idea that God is either going to have to "convince" (brainwash?), the believers that all will be well, and things are as they should be, etc., even while the unbelievers are roasting in hell, or he's going to have to do some major revamping on people's memories!

Old 05-05-2007, 06:22 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
Quote:
Immediately after the tribulation of those days, the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from the sky,
I couldn't help noticing this passage from the Bible which was mentioned. There are some glaring errors concerning what we know about astronomy that I'd like to point out. This is from an age when people didn't realize that the sun was just a medium sized star and they still thought the earth was flat. The words "the stars will fall from the sky" seem to indicate that the author believed that the stars were not very large objects and they were apparently just perched high up above the earth. Having the stars fall from the sky wouldn't be that big of a deal if that were the case but it isn't. We all know that the stars are objects like our sun that are located extremely long distances away from the earth. The statement doesn't make any sense.
Also, the second coming or end days is the most postponed event in human history. People living in the time of Jesus did expect his return within their lifetimes and he didn't show up. There's been a whole series of sometimes amusing spectacles when thousands of people gathered for the predicted event and absolutely nothing happened. If you happen to attend one of these future gatherings where the faithful are assembled on a hilltop or some other suitable place I would advise you to pack a lunch.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:25 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,744 times
[quote=CelticLady1;673907]
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post

Thirdly, and I don't mean to sound ugly about this, but why is it that Christians are so convinced that they will be okay, (via the Rapture), that everything else takes a back seat? I mean, how can everything be alright, believing that one will leave loved ones and friends behind? The believer's future may be secure, but those other folks are kind of screwed, so doesn't that give pause for some concern? I'm not trying to be entirely flip about that. It is something I've always wondered about. Kind of goes back to the idea that God is either going to have to "convince" (brainwash?), the believers that all will be well, and things are as they should be, etc., even while the unbelievers are roasting in hell, or he's going to have to do some major revamping on people's memories!
I believe that people will have the opportunity to be saved even during the tribulation period. There are others who disagree with me...but then why else would God send his 2 prophets if not to convice people that Jesus Saves? Rev. 11:3

And we are promised that God will wipe away all tears when we are with him in heaven. Rev. 7:17 So we certainly won't remember all those left behind and the heartache of knowing they were lost...actually there's a lot I don't want to remember!

Old 05-05-2007, 06:51 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
I believe that people will have the opportunity to be saved even during the tribulation period. There are others who disagree with me...but then why else would God send his 2 prophets if not to convice people that Jesus Saves? Rev. 11:3

And we are promised that God will wipe away all tears when we are with him in heaven. Rev. 7:17 So we certainly won't remember all those left behind and the heartache of knowing they were lost...actually there's a lot I don't want to remember!
Well, at least you are giving folks more of a chance than alot of other Christians do.

I have to ask, though, doesn't it bother you, to believe that your memories of your loved ones would be taken away? I still contend that our life experiences, and our memories are what make us who we are. Frankly, this doesn't sound like much of a plan, although I suppose it's better than the idea that Christian folks would be perfectly fine, going along with God's "plan" of of hell, as though they were almost as righteous as God, himself. And yes, I have heard people say this sort of thing. So, I guess it would be better not to be the same person, if it kept you from thinking about your lost loved ones, in a "too bad you weren't saved; now we understand" smug sort of way.

Old 05-05-2007, 07:04 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Well, at least you are giving folks more of a chance than alot of other Christians do.

I have to ask, though, doesn't it bother you, to believe that your memories of your loved ones would be taken away? I still contend that our life experiences, and our memories are what make us who we are. Frankly, this doesn't sound like much of a plan, although I suppose it's better than the idea that Christian folks would be perfectly fine, going along with God's "plan" of of hell, as though they were almost as righteous as God, himself. And yes, I have heard people say this sort of thing. So, I guess it would be better not to be the same person, if it kept you from thinking about your lost loved ones, in a "too bad you weren't saved; now we understand" smug sort of way.
If you knew some of my family, you'd understand why I'd rather forget some! There are some people who believe we'll be with our husband/wife and will know our family and friends in heaven just as we do here. I see it a little differently...and I've been married more than once and I sure don't want to be in that situation! And I don't want to know about those who aren't in heaven. I sincerely wish I could find something in the Bible to convince me that only the devil and his angels would be in hell and even if the others didn't make it to heaven, at least they'd just stay asleep forever. Hell is a scary thing and I surely don't want to know it if anyone I love goes there. I cannot imagine anyone being smug about "I'm in heaven and you're not...too bad" sort of way. What kind of Christian could possibly think that way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality