Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 07:20 PM

112 posts, read 128,133 times

Advertisements

Most religions typically believe that a God of some sort took nothing and made it into infinite proportions. Atheists usually believe the Big Bang started the Universe as we know it. Although then comes the question- what is nothing? To mankind thus far, everything can be identified and "nothing" is only a metaphor to something we don't understand. But how did "nothing" become everything, and when does everything end? The way I see it, nothing must be something and even an infinite body must reach to an end. What I'm trying to get to is- How is there an absolutely nothing, or absolutely everything? Is the notion of absolute proportions beyond human understanding? It baffles me indeed. How do you view the dimensions of the origins of creation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 09:32 PM

239 posts, read 403,096 times
First, I don't think religions assume that it was made into infinite proportions. I'm not sure atheist believe the big bang started the universe, but rather that was the initial condition of the universe, essentially a more dense, hotter version, where the galaxies and stars and such were closer together than they are now. This conclusion is mainly derived from the observed red shift of light from their normal spectral lines. Thus the galaxies are moving apart. As far as what nothing is, it is the absence of some kind of something. You have 10 apples in a basket. You take out the 10 apples, now the basket is empty, there is your nothing. I think you are getting caught up in the semantics of words, in extremes, in absolutes, which is confusing yourself. What is "notion of absolute proportions" mean for you in this context? In calculus, 0 and infinity have a meaning. They are used in integrals and such. If you still have a question, maybe you could further clarify what you are trying to understand.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:26 PM

22,626 posts, read 19,334,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Progressive" Liberal View Post
Is the notion of absolute proportions beyond human understanding?
yes

it is correct that Creator made something from nothing, ex nihilo
our limited human understanding is generally stretched in trying to comprehend this

it's like the concept of time...time is an artificial linear construct that is dummied down for humans to understand. Time in fact does not exist, there is no past, there is no future, it is all contained in the now moment, in the present.

keep living in the question though, you are bound to grow and expand in that process. the people who stop trying to figure it out or make sense of it are the ones who stagnate and rot

eternity does go on forever, there is no end
just like you, the part of you that is eternal also goes on forever.
in asking these questions, a part of you is trying to remember what you already know

wild ride, eh!

Old 07-06-2009, 01:31 PM

206 posts, read 234,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustNobody View Post
I'm not sure atheist believe the big bang started the universe, but rather that was the initial condition of the universe, essentially a more dense, hotter version, where the galaxies and stars and such were closer together than they are now.
How can this be the 'initial condition'?

How did these supposed galaxies and stars get there in the first place?

Old 07-06-2009, 03:33 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,652,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

Time in fact does not exist, there is no past, there is no future, it is all contained in the now moment, in the present.

keep living in the question though, you are bound to grow and expand in that process. the people who stop trying to figure it out or make sense of it are the ones who stagnate and rot

If "it is all contained in the now moment, in the present", then that means we never die, we never age, in fact nothing would ever change or happen. So, how would there be any "ones who stagnate and rot"? Remember, you said, "it is all contained in the now moment, in the present."

Old 07-06-2009, 05:07 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,646,231 times
The OP is asking one of those questions that none of us can answer. It's an interesting question and we've had various threads about it in the past but mankind at this point in our history doesn't have a clue what started the big bang and all we can do is speculate. Many religious people believe that this automatically leads to the conclusion that there must have been a creator but I disagree and just acknowledge the fact that this is something we don't yet understand and in fact might not ever understand.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:56 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,740,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Progressive" Liberal View Post
Most religions typically believe that a God of some sort took nothing and made it into infinite proportions. Atheists usually believe the Big Bang started the Universe as we know it. Although then comes the question- what is nothing? To mankind thus far, everything can be identified and "nothing" is only a metaphor to something we don't understand. But how did "nothing" become everything, and when does everything end? The way I see it, nothing must be something and even an infinite body must reach to an end. What I'm trying to get to is- How is there an absolutely nothing, or absolutely everything? Is the notion of absolute proportions beyond human understanding? It baffles me indeed. How do you view the dimensions of the origins of creation?
Boy, i've never read a post that screams for this reply so much.
Delve into Buddhism!!!!!!!!!
There are many streams of Buddhism and you might want to find the one that suits you and plunge in.
As i see it, you will find no better spiritual stream to address your very essential question ... if i'm reading you and your question correctly that is, and assuming that i'm not overestimating your state of awareness.
If you're truly sincere about this, i would not waste time and energy listening to people, myself included, who have not had direct experience regarding emptiness and who have not attained a state of non-dualistic awareness.
What you seek (again, if i'm reading you correctly) cannot come from people ruminating and conjecturing and speculating about it intellectually.
It will all be a bunch of dribble and if you're into that, then fine but if not, and you really want to get at this, find a way to enter into the Buddhist stream if you are so inclined.
Good luck. You may be a budding Buddhist.
"All sentient beings have Buddha nature"

Old 07-06-2009, 08:03 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,887,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustNobody View Post
First, I don't think religions assume that it was made into infinite proportions. I'm not sure atheist believe the big bang started the universe, but rather that was the initial condition of the universe, essentially a more dense, hotter version, where the galaxies and stars and such were closer together than they are now. This conclusion is mainly derived from the observed red shift of light from their normal spectral lines. Thus the galaxies are moving apart. As far as what nothing is, it is the absence of some kind of something. You have 10 apples in a basket. You take out the 10 apples, now the basket is empty, there is your nothing. I think you are getting caught up in the semantics of words, in extremes, in absolutes, which is confusing yourself. What is "notion of absolute proportions" mean for you in this context? In calculus, 0 and infinity have a meaning. They are used in integrals and such. If you still have a question, maybe you could further clarify what you are trying to understand.
Well...... actually..... "You have 10 apples in a basket. You take out the 10 apples, now the basket is empty, there is your nothing" Uhhhhhh, not exactly, You still have the basket. But, you are right about 0 and infinity having meaning.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:14 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,652,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Well...... actually..... "You have 10 apples in a basket. You take out the 10 apples, now the basket is empty, there is your nothing" Uhhhhhh, not exactly, You still have the basket. But, you are right about 0 and infinity having meaning.
I thought the exact same thing. Also there's still the space within the basket.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:17 PM

239 posts, read 403,096 times
c'est la vie

"How can this be the 'initial condition'?" Perhaps you should get a book on astronomy. Redshift of galaxies, radioactive dating of isotopes and the fluctuations of microwave background radiation all point to this initial condition.

"How did these supposed galaxies and stars get there in the first place?" Well first of all they aren't "supposed" unless you somehow believe that everything out in space isn't real or is heaven or whatever. Secondly even positing a creator of said big bang, you don't solve or explain anything. You also don't even know whether such creator isn't a created being itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality