Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 10:17 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,381,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
It surely has, and in some ways we have drawn closer than ever before.
Other LDS may not share my view but I personally think that today is a time of sifting. The Lord is separating from the righteous those whose choices have proven that they are so wicked they cannot abide the change this world will experience when the prophesied Millennium is ushered in. (Sheep from the goats, wheat from the tares, right hand/left hand, etc.)

I think all Christian churches work to lift people from a state of wickedness to a state of righteousness. Mormons believe that they are commissioned to add to that righteousness (for those who so choose) the apostolic sealing power to create eternal families.

No church needs to give up the doctrines and religious practices that specifically define them, but all Christians in my opinion should cooperate to teach the whole world about Jesus Christ, his atonement for us, and the lifestyle "love thy neighbor as thyself" teachings in the Beatitudes.

http://jesuschrist.lds.org/SonOfGod/eng/

Old 12-20-2008, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Does the church pres require any kind of prerequisite lineage to qualify for the job?
There is no prequisite lineage to qualify to be an Apostle of the Lord, such calls come by revelation to the living Prophet and Quorum of Twelve Apostles.

Faithful Latter-day Saints are entitled to a personal revelation from an ordained patriarch that reveals among other things specific gifts and foreordinations (things they were sent to this world to accomplish), and their lineage. In America most LDS are either descendents of or adopted into the tribe of Ephraim or Manasseh, with some exceptions. These blessings are always contingent on faithfulness.

Interestingly there is scripture that a descendent of Levi could serve as a bishop without needing to be ordained to that office, though there would obviously be worthiness qualifications and some other considerations; I don't know of anyone currently serving in that category.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
I really appreciate your comments. What with a Catholic bishop defending the Saints who supported Proposition 8 in California and a Rabbi writing because of the same event "we are all Mormons" it has been quite pleasant in some ways lately.
I found links to the Catholic bishop and the Rabbi remarks mentioned above regarding the LDS stand for traditional marriage:

http://www.lawatchdog.com/RabbiShifren-WeAreAllMormons112008.html

http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/news-releases-stories/catholic-bishop-decries-religious-bigotry-against-mormons

Old 12-20-2008, 09:11 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,084,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMcNabb View Post
My answer to that one was no.

So it IS true that a good mormon can become a god on his own planet with his wife and make lots of babies to populate the planet?

Old 12-20-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
So it IS true that a good mormon can become a god on his own planet with his wife and make lots of babies to populate the planet?
I don't think you have that quite right but we're looking for a few more good recruits if that appeals to you.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:08 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,615,918 times
Is it true mormons believe God used to be a man on a planet called Kolob (sp?)? And that we can become Gods ourselves someday?

Is it true that mormons believe that women can only enter heaven if married?

Is it true that Joseph Smith put a rock on his head to see and dictate the book of mormon?

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 12-20-2008 at 10:17 AM..

Old 12-20-2008, 10:16 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,615,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOKThe1stTime View Post
Actually the evidence does suggest that Joseph Smith was a con man. He was convicted in 1826 of FRAUD for his magic treasure seeking. It is on public record. You can look it up.
When I was in college, I took a very interesting religion course. We looked at four religions. Christianity, Jehovah's witnesses, mormons and Islam but instead of looking at the religions, we studied the lives of the founders from a perspective of whether or not they were credible. I left this course just shaking my head WRT Joseph Smith. There is no way I'd follow that man nor would I follow Mohamad.

I was suprised to find that, while I still disagree with the interpretations and beliefs, I can actually understand where the Jehovah's witnesses get their beliefs from. Joseph Smith's revelations from rocks on his head are just too wacky for me. Especially since some are so self serving for him.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
I don't think you have that quite right but we're looking for a few more good recruits if that appeals to you.

Glad to see you own up to that wild one.

And as a mormon, you'd consider yourself to be Christian?

Old 12-20-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
And as a mormon, you'd consider yourself to be Christian?
Everything religious that members of The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints do is centered around our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and his teachings.

But we are Restoration Christians, not Trinity Christians. We do not accept the non-biblical manmade creeds of the 3rd and 4th century that are commonly accepted by some other Christian churches today. By those standards even the original apostles called directly by the Lord would not qualify as "Christians".

Have a look at what Latter-day Saints have to say about Jesus Christ:

http://jesuschrist.lds.org/SonOfGod/eng/

Old 12-20-2008, 11:08 AM

You don't think the nature of who God is, is pretty basic to the definition of your religion? I mean...I can call my dog Jesus, and claim to follow his teachings, and it all sounds pretty good....until we define who Jesus is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality