Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 02:14 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,659,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Every mormon temple is found in an expensive part of town and on a big acreage. why is this? is it some sort of tenet of your religion? how come there appears to be no "modest" temples?
Why worship in a garden shed when you can worship in a Mormon Taj Mahal? Seems pretty logical to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 03:14 PM

100 posts, read 196,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happynoodleboycey View Post
Why worship in a garden shed when you can worship in a Mormon Taj Mahal? Seems pretty logical to me.
Ya, and really, what does it matter what a church, whose members voluntarily give, do with their funds? We don't critize those who worship in the great wide open (which we do as well). I think there is a lack of understanding of the true purpose of the temple that causes people to think that it is excessive and waste.

Also, no one has talked about the fact that, in general, where there is a temple built the property values around the temple go up.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:17 PM

36,692 posts, read 67,707,925 times
Oakland California Temple

London England Temple

Manila Phillipines Temple

Orlando Florida Temple

Curitiba Brazil Temple

Apia Samoa Temple

Stockholm Sweden Temple

Santo Domingo Dominican Republic Temple

Hong Kong China Temple

Panama City Panama Temple

Taipei Taiwan Temple

Old 12-04-2008, 04:50 PM

328 posts, read 566,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacano View Post
Why? It makes sense that the money would go to a central fund. Giving money to the poor on the streets (who many times don't end up being poor at all) isn't necessarily the best way to help. I love that I can give to the organization that I trust to get the funds where they belong.
I agree. SuSuSushi doesn't seem to have thought it through very carefully. It seems to me that randomly passing out money to people who appear to need it is a recipe for NOT getting it where it belongs except by accident. Does a person walk down the streets at night looking for homeless people and give them $100 bills? Not only is that pretty inefficient (though there are certainly great benefits to actually meeting people face to face rather than helping from a distance), but why pick THAT particular family over the next. You can't give $100 bills to all the poor in your state, so how are you going to choose the ones that really need it now for critical things like food or medicine instead of ones that might buy a lottery ticket or a bottle of wine? Wouldn't it be much better to give your money to an unpaid volunteer who knows all the homeless families and who can go give the money to the families that need it the most right then? Or better yet, a volunteer who will take your money and go buy what the poor need and deliver it to them?

Quote:
I love giving to an organization whose operating costs are relatively low compared to other organizations because the majority of the church functions are carried out by volunteer or lay members. For example, my Bishop does not receive a dime for his services. He is the person responsible for providing aide to local members who need it.
Not only does the bishop not receive any money, NO ONE receives any money for administering that fund. 100% of the money you donate in that way gets spent on food or medicine or housing. There is ZERO overhead. Try finding another organization that helps the poor where when you give a dollar, somewhere a dollar worth of goods is given to the poor.

Over the last 20 years, the Mormon Church has given over $1 billion to help the poor and those suffering from disasters. This does NOT include other funds, such as the Perpetual Education Fund, some internal welfare funds, and some in-kind donations. This also does not include the millions of man hours of service given both to the poor and to disaster relief, such as Katrina and the Christmas Tsunami. And the rate of growth in those donations is growing rapidly.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:52 PM

328 posts, read 566,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happynoodleboycey View Post
Or both places! Why only one?

Old 12-05-2008, 12:25 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,703,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
There are modest temples. The vernal temple is acuatlly a converted church building and is nothing spectacular to look at. The point is that we believe the temple to be a house of God and it is a sign of respect and reverence to give our best to God. Before a temple is dedicated unto the Lord anyone is free to enter and see the insides. There are usually several different times for open houses.
Are you telling me that if I am not a Mormon I can't go inside one of your temples?

Old 12-05-2008, 12:27 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,703,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Yes the active and devout mormons do fast once each month and donate what they would have spent on meals and many donate a lot more than that. There is also a humanitarian donation which many donate to. The church has always been one of the first organizations to help when there is a national or worldwide tragedy.
The church is also very involved in helping those malnuritioned in Africa by providing a substance called atmeat (or something like that) which helps provide needed nutrients until the body is ready to eat solid foods.
Big deal. You don't eat for one day and you donate those 10 bucks to charity. At most churches every body eats and they donate more than $10 a month to charity. It is ridiculous.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:38 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,149,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Are you telling me that if I am not a Mormon I can't go inside one of your temples?
Not unless it is at an open house before the temple is dedicated. Even then only members who receive a temple recommend can enter the temple.
(I get the feeling though these really are not sincere questions just another chance to jab at the mormons)

Old 12-05-2008, 12:39 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,149,934 times
Quote:
Big deal. You don't eat for one day and you donate those 10 bucks to charity. At most churches every body eats and they donate more than $10 a month to charity. It is ridiculous.
No it is not ridiculous but it is disrespectful to make fun of one's beliefs. And by the way many other churches practice fasting too.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:51 PM

36,692 posts, read 67,707,925 times
Quote:
Actually its more then just not eating. Its called FASTING and its something Jesus Christ himself did.

You dont care? Big Deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality