Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 09:12 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Have you seen the Dallas Temple?

I have. Its understated, one of the smaller temples, but its built extremely well as they all are. When the ground is dedicated for a new temple, that building is sacred and is dedicated to God and his purposes. They are 100% paid for prior to construction. This is the greatest organization on Earth, if only our government was run this well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 11:19 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
They are 100% paid for prior to construction. This is the greatest organization on Earth, if only our government was run this well.
How so? Because it is run more like the military and demands the highest tithes of any other US religion? Also, I'd like to know why we can't visit a temple? It implies that those who are not LDS, and not up to a certain level in the LDS religion, are almost lesser beings. With all other religions in the US, you are able to see their main places of worship.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:27 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
A temple is not the main place of worship for a majority of Latter Day Saints. You are more than welcome to attend any church service at a Mormon church. The temple is holy to LDS folks. Not all Mormons even go to the temple.

I have personally seen how much charity the LDS faith gives to other countries. And helps out folks who are not LDS.

If they want to build temples....let them. It is their money, their religion.

I am not welcomed into any Mikvahs...same thing.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:17 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
How so? Because it is run more like the military and demands the highest tithes of any other US religion?
Run like the military? I don't know about that. Granted, it is highly organized, which makes it possible for us to accomplish a great deal of good in the world. With respect to the Church demanding "the highest tithes" of any US religion, you really ought to know that a tithe is not a variable percent. It means 10%. Period. The tithes you say the LDS Church "demands" are based on the same percentage as the tithes people paid in biblical times. In other words, there is no such thing as an 8.75% "tithe."

Quote:
Also, I'd like to know why we can't visit a temple? It implies that those who are not LDS, and not up to a certain level in the LDS religion, are almost lesser beings.
Like our regular churches (i.e. chapels or meetinghouses), our temples are places where we go to learn and to worship. Unlike our regular churches, they are places where only those who have demonstrated their willingness to live their lives according to a particular standard of worthiness are allowed. In other words, you might think of a temple as sort of an “institute of higher learning” with respect to spiritual knowledge. I'm sorry you feel like a "lesser being"; that certainly is not our intent. You must understand that from the time a temple opens in the morning (often as early as 5:00 A.M.) until it closes at night (at around 10:00 P.M.), worship services are being held. It's not like a Catholic cathedral, where there may be masses held a few hours each week. You wouldn't like it if people were wandering around a mass, sightseeing, and talking (if even in whispers) while you were praying or otherwise trying to worship. Well, neither do we. And whether you're willing to admit it or not, there are certain parts of any Catholic cathedral where the public is not permitted to go. I know there are a number of places in a Catholic cathedral I would not be allowed to wander through. All of our "off-limits" areas are in one building; that's the difference. Walk into any LDS Church and you can pretty much see any room you want to see. Since you didn't feel it worth your while to even visit Temple Square when you were in Salt Lake City a number of years back, one has to wonder why you have such a nagging interest in going inside a temple.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:24 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I have. Its understated.
That's my point. In fact one hardly notices it until you are right on it. Not quite up to the architectural impression of San Diego's. You can drive down Churchill, which is a half a block to the north of the Dallas one and you will completely miss it. The photo was taken when it the landscaping was just put in. The trees all around are are growing in nicely. I've been in this one.

Last edited by PanTerra; 05-13-2012 at 12:46 PM..

Old 05-13-2012, 04:05 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Since you didn't feel it worth your while to even visit Temple Square when you were in Salt Lake City a number of years back, one has to wonder why you have such a nagging interest in going inside a temple.
Why? Because ecclesiastical architecture is interesting. Those brick and mortar churches in the suburbs are vanilla...and all look alike. Your temples seem like they pack more punch. I love to wander through churches and cathedrals in Europe and South America...and take pictures. In a Catholic cathedral, the only places you could NOT walk into are a few private offices and possibly the sacristy, where vestments and chalices (expensive stuff) are kept. If the maintenance person accompanied you or you were on a tour, you could probably see those. I've been in the sacristy to talk to an usher and whatnot as they were getting ready for Mass, and I am not involved in any of the active parishioner stuff at church.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:45 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Those brick and mortar churches in the suburbs are vanilla...and all look alike.
Yup, totally vanilla and not particularly visually impressive. There is a reason for this, though. The LDS Church does not believe in incurring debt, so whenever they build a new church (or a temple, seminary building, or anything at all, actually), it's 100% paid in full before it is dedicated for use. When you consider the fact that a new LDS church is completed somewhere in the world every sixteen hours, there's some good financial sense in not making them extravagantly beautiful.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:52 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
How so? Because it is run more like the military and demands the highest tithes of any other US religion? Also, I'd like to know why we can't visit a temple? It implies that those who are not LDS, and not up to a certain level in the LDS religion, are almost lesser beings. With all other religions in the US, you are able to see their main places of worship.
It's run with great organization and discipline. Members are taught self reliance and financial stability. The church definitely practices what it preaches. Also when I talk organization, I also mean the way the church operates, there is no infighting, doctrinal debate or political strife that is common in other protestant churches.
As far as the temple. You or I can go freely until its dedicated. After that you have to be worthy to enter the doors of the Temple. You can visit the grounds and visitors center, as lots of people do, especially in Salt Lake. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with that. Everybody makes their own choices.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:55 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,089 times
Quote:
How so? Because it is run more like the military
i actually agree with you to a point there, but i don't think that this is a bad thing. the church has a very clear chain of command, which makes it easier on everyone, and ensures that the organization is run with minimal clerical hiccups, and it helps to dissuade people from stealing church funds for personal use and other scandals.

also, we mobilize quickly, which is a great thing when it comes to giving aid to people affected by local disasters and far away disasters alike. give the church a day or two (or sometimes even less) after we learn that large numbers of people are suffering, and we can have cargo planes inbound full of supplies.

Quote:
and demands the highest tithes of any other US religion?
as katz mentioned, a tithe is by definition 10%. on top of that though, we believe that God has given us the commandment to take care of the poor and needy (hence the disaster aid, fast offerings, etc). and even beyond the church's official charity work, we are encouraged to give as much as we can to the charities that we trust and can support.

so the church does in a way ask for us to give away a lot of money, and then on top of that we believe that God wants us to give of our time as well to church and charity. but all of this goes to good causes, and we believe that it is a test of our faith, and that God will bless us for giving of ourselves, and even more importantly, God will bless others through us for giving of ourselves.

Quote:
Also, I'd like to know why we can't visit a temple? It implies that those who are not LDS, and not up to a certain level in the LDS religion, are almost lesser beings. With all other religions in the US, you are able to see their main places of worship.
i don't see it as insulting or condescending, though i can understand that some people would feel that way. all we can say is that it is not intended to be negative, just private.

and i'm pretty sure that there are other religions that have sacred buildings and areas within buildings that are off-limits to the non-initiated.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,122 times
As I see it, would you rather be married in a so-so building or a beautiful temple that like the Mormon's do. And I believe they pick the nice parts of town so their temples stay nicer, You wouldn't want to open a temple in the Bronx and have it destroyed from teens. And for the why can't people walk through anytime, is because bottom line people don't like Mormon's, Stuff would be getting ruined, and It's kind of a payoff of being a Mormon. I am 17, raised a Mormon, In Utah and it's a pain in the ass. My family is not the idea of Utah Mormons so a lot of people will judge you for everything you do, But that is just because they believe you should know better? I'm not really sure how that works. But if you ever get the chance to go to an open house I would recommend it, the architecture is beautiful and very high class materials, It would be a truly beautiful place to get married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality