Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 04:19 PM

51,004 posts, read 24,497,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
This is the Religion forum. The title of the thread is Lincoln and Religion. Lincoln was not just a pol. He was human. We don’t know all that he was motivated by, but his action to stop the spread of slavery indicates a moral center.
Another excellent post in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 04:21 PM

Quote:
So you want to ignore the elephant in the room, Hinduism which has influenced thoughts all over the world, as both dualism and non dualism? Where do you think Karma and reincarnation comes from which is being discussed extensively in these threads? Is it just ignorance or simply your aversion to it?
Remember in a post a couple of days ago and you yourself mentioned how blunt you could be?

Old 05-07-2024, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it's not discussing their thought processes.
it is discussing the progress and development of the soul over a series of reincarnations. carrying on what was being discussed in the preceding series of posts regarding the same soul as a Himalayan yogi and subsequently also as Abraham Lincoln and also as Lindbergh, along the theme of reincarnations to specifically address growth development progress around dealing with race.
No, some people have been explaining how Lincoln and Lindbergh thought.

Old 05-07-2024, 04:31 PM

16,085 posts, read 7,093,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Remember in a post a couple of days ago and you yourself mentioned how blunt you could be?
Thank you for the alert. But it turns out it IS ignorance! So it is merely an accurate assessment no? There is nothing wrong in not knowing about Hinduism. My fault taking that for granted as it is discussed quite often here.

Old 05-07-2024, 04:42 PM

63,949 posts, read 40,236,649 times
Quote:
no, reincarnation does not "come from" Hinduism.

it is an element that is present in many paths of religion and spirituality.
including those that are older than Hinduism.
Syncetism is rampant in the spiritual fossil record, Tzaph. Discerning the origin of any specific beliefs is problematic. But Reincarnation is a very ancient concept in Brhamannism.

Old 05-07-2024, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the alert. But it turns out it IS ignorance! So it is merely an accurate assessment no? There is nothing wrong in not knowing about Hinduism. My fault taking that for granted as it is discussed quite often here.
Technically you're correct. Reminds me of another poster who often points out that certain words are pejorative, even though their real definition is not.

Old 05-07-2024, 05:06 PM

22,605 posts, read 19,315,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Syncetism is rampant in the spiritual fossil record, Tzaph. Discerning the origin of any specific beliefs is problematic. But Reincarnation is a very ancient concept in Brhamannism.
Reincarnation is present in many indigenous traditions.
No religion can claim ownership or originator.

It is inaccurate to say that reincarnation came from Hinduism, or from whatever else is mentioned specifically in post above.

Old 05-07-2024, 05:23 PM

11,156 posts, read 7,221,368 times
Quote:
But it turns out it IS ignorance! So it is merely an accurate assessment no?
Another vindictive and emotional outburst on your part. That's twice now you've thrown the 'ignorance' label my way.

I don't know about nuclear fusion either, but that shouldn't constitute "ignorance" (which is a strong and loaded word that people abuse). These are subjects I haven't studied - as of yet - not reasons for mudslinging and insults. But continue on if that's how you like to operate. Don't fool yourself that it isn't getting noticed.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 05-07-2024 at 05:41 PM..

Old 05-07-2024, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Reincarnation is present in many indigenous traditions.
No religion can claim ownership or originator.

It is inaccurate to say that reincarnation came from Hinduism, or from whatever else is mentioned specifically in post above.
I'm not going to get into who owned it first, but I thought this was interesting from Pew Research: "Reincarnation is a mainstream teaching in Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism and Jainism. But fewer than half of Indians in each of these groups say they believe in reincarnation. For example, 40% of India's Hindus believe in reincarnation."

I also have to say that, despite being Buddhist myself, some of things we're asked to believe seem a bit fantastic to me. Such as:

"In the Theravada Buddhism of Thailand, you can be reborn into any one of 31 planes of existence, not only the human realm. Thais tend to focus on not falling into an animal realm, hungry ghost realm, or hell realm..."

Who really knows there are 31 "planes of existance"
Or that there is a "hungry ghost realm"

This is an example of "my religion" going too far in its beliefs with NO evidence

Old 05-07-2024, 06:09 PM

63,949 posts, read 40,236,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Technically you're correct. Reminds me of another poster who often points out that certain words are pejorative, even though their real definition is not.

An example of taking the word ignorance (i.e., lack of knowledge about something) pejoratively is below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Another vindictive and emotional outburst on your part. That's twice now you've thrown the 'ignorance' label my way.

I don't know about nuclear fusion either, but that shouldn't constitute "ignorance" (which is a strong and loaded word that people abuse). These are subjects I haven't studied - as of yet - not reasons for mudslinging and insults. But continue on if that's how you like to operate. Don't fool yourself that it isn't getting noticed.
QED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality