Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 04:16 AM

16,762 posts, read 4,971,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Why are we arguing navels when the true question is why was Adam created with a small dink?
Technically it was also the largest at that time for a human.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 05:12 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,790,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Has anyone ever questioned this?
Because people who draw/paint those pictures are stupid. I mean, a white Jesus?

Old 03-27-2024, 08:28 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,704,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Also the absence of a belly button would probably have looked weird to their audience and the artist might be blamed / questioned / criticized for "overlooking" the belly button. Sometimes when you are a creator of things you have to play to your audience's (and patron's) expectations. Besides in thinking about the creation stories, it isn't like people particularly WANT to think through the details like that.
I give artists more credit than this and there are lots of examples that demonstrate why I do...

Any good artist knows how to cover, hide or leave unseen any part of the subject they wish to paint. Whether it might be a hand that is painted over the area, a strategically placed tree branch, dove that happens to be flying by in the picture representing peace...

"Where there is a will there is a way."

Old 03-27-2024, 08:35 AM

19,958 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I give artists more credit than this and there are lots of examples that demonstrate why I do...

Any good artist knows how to cover, hide or leave unseen any part of the subject they wish to paint. Whether it might be a hand that is painted over the area, a strategically placed tree branch, dove that happens to be flying by in the picture representing peace...

"Where there is a will there is a way."
There's also a will and a way for subsequent arbiters of propriety, such as those who placed fig leaves over private parts during certain eras of time.

The fact remains that artists need funding, and they will not offend or challenge their patrons. It is best to merely delight them with pleasing forms that they want to see. Yes, artists can be subversive and devious in getting around those limitations, but the limitations still exist.

Old 03-27-2024, 09:44 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,704,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
There's also a will and a way for subsequent arbiters of propriety, such as those who placed fig leaves over private parts during certain eras of time.

The fact remains that artists need funding, and they will not offend or challenge their patrons. It is best to merely delight them with pleasing forms that they want to see. Yes, artists can be subversive and devious in getting around those limitations, but the limitations still exist.
Duly noted, and I have no reason to disagree with you on those counts. I was just pointing out that artists have a great deal of flexibility when it comes to how they present their art. Some entirely focused on how to appeal to their patrons. Others who could care less. As one who LOVES to read the biographies, auto biographies and/or histories of artists (of all kinds), now many such readings under my belt, I always marvel at the manner in which they have produced their art and how it has been received in all manner of ways since the first attempts at art began. Often in the face of significant limitations that so many found a way to somehow overcome.

Lack of appreciation for their art during their time just one of the limitations...

Old 03-27-2024, 09:51 AM

11,066 posts, read 7,139,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Has anyone ever questioned this?
Back to the original question, why would people draw it that way? Too little attention and focus? Why assume humans could get it right in the first place, and then run with it? The OP is skipping that crucial first step.

Old 03-27-2024, 10:29 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Probably because there were no photographs taken at the time to show the actual people and the models who posed 1500 years later had belly buttons.

Or maybe god was checking to see how it would look on the finished product. For all you know, he tested several possible sites to find what looked the best.

Old 03-27-2024, 01:17 PM

46,940 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Technically it was also the largest at that time for a human.

A well-made point, again.

Old 03-27-2024, 02:33 PM

13,602 posts, read 4,927,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Adam and Eve is not a story. Literally have the decedents down to Noah, and Jesus. Noah also took Adam's and Eve's clothes, they were handed all the way down to Isaac’s son Esau (12 generations past Noah). Even Nimrod had possession of Adam and Eve's clothes at one point, which gave anyone who wore them superpower.
What in the actual h-e-double hockey sticks are you babbling about? Nimrod wore magical clothes? Now I’ve heard everything!

Of course Adam and Eve is a story. It was never intended to be taken literally, but rather to teach some lessons. And if you count the generations down to Jesus you get the age of the earth as around 6000 years, which is only about 6 billion years off!

Old 03-27-2024, 10:43 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
What in the actual h-e-double hockey sticks are you babbling about? Nimrod wore magical clothes? Now I’ve heard everything!

Of course Adam and Eve is a story. It was never intended to be taken literally, but rather to teach some lessons. And if you count the generations down to Jesus you get the age of the earth as around 6000 years, which is only about 6 billion years off!
The Jacob/Esau/Isaac birthright story he mentioned cracks me up as well.

Isaac "recognizes" Jacob's voice but feels goat fur on his arms and figures it is Esau's hairy arms.

Anybody who isn't a complete idiot is going to deduce that this is Jacob and that Jacob is wearing some sort of goat fur thing on his arms. And that true even if Esau WAS some kind of werewolf type of dude.

A normally witted person would say. Jacob, why are you wearing these furry things on your arms pretending to be Esau?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality