Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 02:21 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times

Advertisements

BTK Killer ---what a good example of a facade.
'Thoughts make a man'...if you think evil - as in, wish others harm, like that...I don't think that's a good thing for a soul.

HOWEVER, if your last life was as a Serial Killer....then bad thoughts are a step in the right direction!!
And when you die - you could get many pats on the back!!! "Hey, man, you did way better this life!"
So I guess it's all relative!

But yes, it would be an intelligent Narcissist knowing how to 'make it in this world, faking it'.
I think a step in the right direction would be ''Feeling sorry for the bad thoughts''...even tho, they may be hard to control.
Most people that hate others act it out. Imo, it's gotta slip out of them at some point. Yikes.

Thoughts are the thing. Would God not like you to have those thoughts? ''...the secrets of the heart are laid bare...''

My sister beats herself up that she has a good friend that bugs her SO much she wants to scream*.
Why. She must feel or have a sense, a belief that God is listening in her head.
I should ask her. I can't rem if we were taught that as Catholics.

* 1 thing is she says, "I'm sorry" 20 times in an hour. Makes my sis batty!

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 12-09-2023 at 02:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2023, 04:52 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
1 thing is she says, "I'm sorry" 20 times in an hour. Makes my sis batty!
My prior / late wife did this somewhat ... not as much as you're describing but it was a sort of verbal tic. I managed to break her of it by asking her "why?" every single time she said it, lol.

Old 12-09-2023, 06:10 PM

8,175 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
No matter what religion or no religion...what do you think about a person that seems a pillar of humanity:
Gives to charities, tithes, volunteers at soup kitchens, smiles, opens doors, attends church,
mows the old lady's lawn.
BUT: In his mind...he thinks how stupid people are, lazy, good for nothings, hates the Arabs, Jews, Asians, blacks, homeless, Christians, too -
even women, kids, pets, liberals and conservatives -hates it all, wishes most ill...in his thoughts criticizes everything.
He just wants to appear as a 'good person'. Why?...mostly for his business reputation.

Any comments?
He is cheating himself.

Old 12-10-2023, 03:31 AM

8,343 posts, read 272,638 times
Quote:
No matter what religion or no religion...what do you think about a person that seems a pillar of humanity:
Gives to charities, tithes, volunteers at soup kitchens, smiles, opens doors, attends church,
BUT: In his mind...he thinks how stupid people are, lazy, good for nothings, hates the Arabs, Jews, Asians, blacks, homeless, Christians, too -
even women, kids, pets, liberals and conservatives -hates it all, wishes most ill...in his thoughts criticizes everything.
He just wants to appear as a 'good person'. Why?...mostly for his business reputation.

Any comments?
When reading this, I immediately thought of of Francis Underwood(House of Cards).

Old 12-10-2023, 02:39 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiSea View Post
When reading this, I immediately thought of of Francis Underwood(House of Cards).
Good example. Claire, too.

Old 12-10-2023, 03:35 PM

8,343 posts, read 272,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Good example. Claire, too.
There's another series next October.

Old 12-10-2023, 03:53 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiSea View Post
There's another series next October.
Really?!

Old 12-10-2023, 09:41 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,007,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It's not unheard of.

One of my favorite lines from a parody political ad is where the candidate mentions that part of what he does in his ads is "to be seen talking to elderly people as if I didn't find them loathsome and irrelevant".

That encapsulates the sociopath's approach to life. They are usually capable of being charming, but it's all in the service of their career, whatever it is. They lack empathy but have learned to mimic it based on people's responses over time.
Sounds like the last man I dated. The real person inside surfaced after around a year and a half, and I was shocked and crushed. It didn't make sense and took me a long time to drop him from my life completely. Your comment about patronizing elderly people is especially relevant. These types will stop at nothing to make some money, if that's their goal. Despicable.

Old 12-11-2023, 12:19 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
I don't think I've ever encountered such a person, or at least to that extreme. But I always try to see the inner person. Outward appearances, deeds, status, etc. are nothing compared to who the person really is, inside.

I'll always value a poor person with wisdom and integrity over some rich person who seems to have it all together, but who has no depth / soul.

Old 12-11-2023, 01:27 PM

501 posts, read 168,541 times
Quote:

Any comments?
I don't believe you describe a realistic scenario. No one who was as internally misanthropic as you describe this person could mask those attitudes to the extent you describe. "The only thing you can't hide is when you're crippled inside." - John Lennon.

If he could do so, I'd say: "Great! I don't care who you are inside or what your motivations may be if you're actually leading an exemplary life." Why would I care? That would be between the individual and God (or whatever the individual's belief system may be.)

I would say my own external life is far more God-pleasing than my internal one. I am extremely generous, financially and otherwise (not as a result of my earnings from teaching, I assure you, but because my paternal grandfather was obscenely wealthy). Yet I realize my motivations aren't entirely pure - I get self-gratification from being generous ("Hey, I must be a good person!") and enjoy knowing others are pleased and impressed.

It's unavoidable. One of my little thought exercises was to try and think of an act that was truly, unequivocally altruistic. I don't think there is such a thing. Even the most stunning acts of self-sacrifice are tainted by at list a tinge of self-satisfaction. The person you describe is just an extreme example.

But so what? I'd much rather have the person you describe live his exemplary life for all the wrong reasons than have him put his internal turmoil into practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality