Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2024, 08:59 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
LOL — you put those very words in your mouth — I just repeated them back to you — and you didn’t like it….
More insults and disrespect from you toward Christians coming now?

….
You don't like it when an atheist (or other non-christian) questions the faith you have, but you question the faith I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2024, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
For this one, a drop of rain is certainly not a sign, but if God were to stand in front of me, I can't imagine why I would not see it!

This kind of "reason and logic" well proves what you explain about faith, and the manner in which to have strong conviction something is true without rational support perfectly well demonstrated.
For christians to suggest that their ALL-POWERFUL god could not convince people that he was god if he was standing in front of them...seems rather insulting to that ALL-POWERFUL god.

Think of all the miracles described in writing (therefore not proof) contained in the bible. If they occurred today by a figure...people wouldn't believe it? You know...like he could go part Lake Michigan. He could turn a politician into a pillar of salt. Do it tomorrow on CNN, let Wolf Blitzer announce that there was "breaking news". And he could keep on rerunning all those old miracles he did before he started hiding. I'm looking out my back window right now to where my saguaro cactus used to be...before last summer's oppressive heat wave (which he must have caused, btw)...if he restored that saguaro right before my eyes...I'd believe. Ah, these christians of little faith.

Old 04-04-2024, 09:19 AM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You don't like it when an atheist (or other non-christian) questions the faith you have, but you question the faith I have.
Nope — only said I respected and have learned things from your faith.
You disrespected and insulted mine…..

Read my posts more slowly without all the strong negativity filters…..

Old 04-04-2024, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Nope — only said I respected and have learned things from your faith.
You disrespected and insulted mine…..

Read my posts more slowly without all the strong negativity filters…..
Gee, I always appreciate your lecturing down to me.

But do you think your mini-lectures are going to improve (from your perspective) my attitude towards you and christians, in general?

Last edited by phetaroi; 04-04-2024 at 09:34 AM..

Old 04-04-2024, 09:28 AM

3,104 posts, read 1,000,279 times
I did not believe, I needed proof. My rational mind needs real, hard proof. I don't believe anything if I don't test it/experiment it.

So I enrolled in Kriya yoga lessons and started practicing them. (This yoga is thousands of years old and comes from India). This was in 1993. I wanted to see it personally, would I get any proof or not. Is there a God or not. Again, I do not believe anyone/anything if I can't experiment it myself.

My testimony: yes, there is a God, or a higher power and I can make contact.

If I could do it, anyone can. But one has to practice these techniques daily.

Just don't believe me, you experiment with it and see. ("you" in general)

Old 04-04-2024, 09:39 AM

16,757 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
if someone chooses not to participate in a relationship then that is their choice.
for a person to get anything out of any relationship entails engaging in the relationship.

or they can walk away. that is each person's choice. the extent and degree to which they participate in the relationship.
any relationship.
Which did not answer my post, it just repeated the same old mantra that presumes there is something to have a relationship with.

Was this a deliberate evasion because you can not answer the questions?

Old 04-04-2024, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I'm tired of repeating myself.
FAITH is not based on evidence. Faith is strong conviction that something is true, without rational support.
All this give me sign thing is moot. For one in faith, even a drop of rain is sign.
1) again, this does not answer my questions.
2) a sign that is valid for all options (a drop of rain) is not a sign.
Edit - 3) If you have no evidence, then you are more likely to be wrong than correct. With no evidence, you can either be right or wrong, a 50/50 chance at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
For one, who has none, even if god will stand in front of him, he won't see it.
Do you mean your god can only send signs that could be confused for not being a sign? That he can not send obvious signs, only confusing ones?

Last edited by Harry Diogenes; 04-04-2024 at 10:00 AM..

Old 04-04-2024, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post
I did not believe, I needed proof. My rational mind needs real, hard proof. I don't believe anything if I don't test it/experiment it.

So I enrolled in Kriya yoga lessons and started practicing them. (This yoga is thousands of years old and comes from India). This was in 1993. I wanted to see it personally, would I get any proof or not. Is there a God or not. Again, I do not believe anyone/anything if I can't experiment it myself.

My testimony: yes, there is a God, or a higher power and I can make contact.

If I could do it, anyone can. But one has to practice these techniques daily.

Just don't believe me, you experiment with it and see. ("you" in general)
Here's the problem with that scenario:

Other people have used various means of looking for their own proof and they found:

Buddhism
Hinduism
Devil worship
Islam
Folk religions
Shintoism
Taoism
Voodoo
Sikhism
Judaism
Confucianism
Bahai
Jainism
Egyptian gods
Greek gods
Roman gods

Old 04-04-2024, 09:50 AM

Quote:
No. You just have to get desperate and yell at God, scream at him, cry and agonize. As Dave said a few comments ago, get angry at God. This is the first contact. It was like that in my case, I don't know about others. I said:"I give up, you do something God, I can't do it anymore!"
So we have to get angry at a god we do not believe in, because we have seen no signs?

Quote:
As someone else mentioned, you have to know God, to get acquainted with him. It's like in any relationship. You see a beautiful woman, you introduce yourself, you start talking to her, you start knowing her etc. etc. The same with God.

You also have to give, not just to ask for x and y and z from God. You give loyalty, you give to others, you serve others, you introspect and give up your bad habits, you give up your giant ego, you surrender etc.

Imagine you have a friend that never thinks of you, never. But he always asks you to give him this, to give him that. But never thinks of you, never calls you on the phone etc. The same is with God. How would you feel to be treated like that? God feels the same, just that he says:"OK my child, I will wait."

God gave me many signs in my life but I was blind. Now I think about this or that that happened decades ago and I can see God's help in so many instances. But God is a shy God, he's very humble.

Getting angry at him is great.
So a non-believer in gods must simply get angry at any god, and then that god will send a sign? Do you have any recommendations?

Old 04-04-2024, 09:54 AM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Which did not answer my post, it just repeated the same old mantra that presumes there is something to have a relationship with.

Was this a deliberate evasion because you can not answer the questions?
Yes, Harry — there is SOMETHING to have a relationship with.

I know your post wasn't written for me, but it’s getting too silly now not to respond.
Millions and millions of people on this planet have a relationship with God. If you want to say this is all bogus —fine — then it’s bogus TO YOU — why keep provoking others with your discomfort?

…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality