Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 06:39 AM

317 posts, read 496,190 times

Advertisements

I'm doing some research about near death experiences. If anyone here has ever had a near death experience then please answer these questions.

1) Did you experience heaven or hell in your near death experience?

2) If you experienced hell, what do you think the main reason was for why you were sent there?

3) At the time of your near death experience, did you consider yourself to be "saved" or "not saved"? And do you think that being "saved" or "not saved" was the primary factor which determined whether you went to heaven or hell, as opposed to your behaviors?

4) At the time of your near death experience, what religious affiliation did you have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2023, 08:24 AM

29,543 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpow View Post
I'm doing some research about near death experiences. If anyone here has ever had a near death experience then please answer these questions.

1) Did you experience heaven or hell in your near death experience?

2) If you experienced hell, what do you think the main reason was for why you were sent there?

3) At the time of your near death experience, did you consider yourself to be "saved" or "not saved"? And do you think that being "saved" or "not saved" was the primary factor which determined whether you went to heaven or hell, as opposed to your behaviors?

4) At the time of your near death experience, what religious affiliation did you have?
May I ask why you are doing this research?

I'm tempted to have a little fun with your questions, but I think you are serious, so I'll not have that fun. Instead I'll just point you in the direction of another thread where a few of us discussed this subject at some length. Given your interest, you may like to scan that thread while waiting for respondents who might more seriously answer your questions.

The name of the thread is "After Death, the documentary."

Good luck with your research in this forum!

Old 11-05-2023, 09:26 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,789,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

I'm tempted to have a little fun with your questions, but I think you are serious, so I'll not have that fun. Instead I'll just point you in the direction of another thread where a few of us discussed this subject at some length. Given your interest, you may like to scan that thread while waiting for respondents who might more seriously answer your questions.

The name of the thread is "After Death, the documentary."

Good luck with your research in this forum!
Ditto!
(*waves to LearnMe*! Nice to see you, guy!)

Old 11-05-2023, 11:42 AM

317 posts, read 496,190 times
Quote:

Well it's pretty self explanatory. I've always wanted to know if people's afterlife experiences have a direct correlation to their religious beliefs. I've looked all over the internet to find that data, but I wasn't able to find very much information at all.

Last edited by dpow; 11-05-2023 at 12:04 PM..

Old 11-05-2023, 08:11 PM

19,979 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Well it's pretty self explanatory. I've always wanted to know if people's afterlife experiences have a direct correlation to their religious beliefs. I've looked all over the internet to find that data, but I wasn't able to find very much information at all.
One must always remember that these are NEAR death experiences. If you have a death experience without the NEAR then you aren't going to talk about it to the living, because you're permanently gone. None of these people have died, despite some breathless accounts of "dying and coming back". They had a dramatic and likely traumatic experience and in extremis they saw Interesting Things.

That said, an NIH study (sample size of 40) concluded no correlation with pre-NDE religious "orientation" (their term), but DID find a significant correlation between the "depth" of the NDE and subsequent increase in the importance of religion to the experiencer, and an increase in religious activity.

Another study found a correlation between a proneness to fantasy and the "depth" of NDEs.

Another found a lot of general common features (OBE, bright lights, meeting people, sense of peacefulness) though not all experienced by everyone and not in any fixed sequence. Also some negative sounding features (racing thoughts, 5% of experiencers).

If you're getting at the question of "does a Buddhist invariably experience an NDE as meeting the Buddah rather than Jesus or experiencing Nirvana rather than heaven", well, what self-respecting Buddhist is going to admit to having a Christian NDE even if they did? When you put this together with how difficult it is to objectively assess NDEs (due to the unpredictability of whether they will happen and the difficulty of getting comprehensive telemetry without interfering with life-saving efforts, the reluctance of some to talk about it afterwards, etc) it seems to me that you're going to be eternally disappointed with getting any statistically valid info about such topics. There was a very well-funded study in the UK lasting many years and nothing conclusive came of it other than that trying to seriously study NDEs is expensive and fraught with problems.

In the end most studies are really just educated guesses and really hearsay.

Old 11-06-2023, 09:11 AM

Quote:
What you further explain here was not so "self explanatory" to me, so thanks for clarifying...

I'm surprised you are having trouble finding information having to do with the relationship between NDEs and religion. Over the course of time this subject has been raised in this forum, yet again by you, I have often found information linking the nature of NDEs to one's religion. For example, here's another I just looked up for you...

Along with the increase in reported religious or mystical experiences, there has been an upsurge in reports of near-death experiences (NDEs) (Badham 1997). Similar to religious experiences, NDEs produce profound and life-changing effects that share many characteristics of religious or mystical experiences found in many of the world’s religions (Badham 1997; Facco et al. 2015; Greyson 2010, 2015). In general, individuals who have experienced an NDE report a variety of experiences, such as out-of-body experiences, looking down at themselves during their resuscitation, feeling a sense of life-review, meeting deceased relatives and friends, or enjoying a mystical experience with a figure identified in a person’s own religious traditions (Badham 1997; Facco et al. 2015; Greyson 2010, 2015). As a result of modern resuscitation techniques, thousands of patients routinely report experiencing NDEs during traumatic injury or emotionally traumatic events. According to a random survey in the United States (US) and Germany, four percent of the total population in the Western world have reported experiencing an NDE (van Lommel 2014). Other clinical studies have estimated the prevalence of NDEs to occur in 10% to 20% of patients who have come close to death (Greyson 1998). More recent estimates estimate NDEs occur in 4–9% of general community members and up to 23% of critical illness patients (Cant et al. 2012). These experiences share many of the characteristics of the deepest religious experiences known to humanity (Badham 1997; Facco et al. 2015; Greyson 2010, 2015).

The descriptions of NDEs appear routinely across religious traditions, cultures, or worldviews (Badham 1997). As Daniel Van Egmond explained,

“It is highly probable that some types of (religious) experience suggested to man that he is able to exist independently of his physical body. For instance, the so-called near-death experiences, out-of-the-body experiences, and shamanistic trances are easily interpreted this way. Indeed, the occurrence of altered states of consciousness is such a common feature in most cultures that it is very probable that such experiences were interpreted as perceptions of so-called “higher worlds””.

https://www.mdpi.com/2077-1444/13/2/156

There are a good many other interesting facts and figures to consider in this link as well...

Old 11-06-2023, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Ditto!
(*waves to LearnMe*! Nice to see you, guy!)
Wasup?

Wasn't it you who swore never to engage me in this forum again? Or was that someone else who was tweaked about having their thoughts and opinions scrutinized a bit? Good to see you again in any case. Where ya been?

Old 11-06-2023, 10:36 AM

11,073 posts, read 7,142,399 times
I think you're better off viewing videos on YouTube Shaman Oaks channel, and books, for research, than asking questions here. It's just going to be a wasteful taunt and tease-a-thon.

Old 11-06-2023, 10:45 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,789,236 times
Quote:
Wasup?

Wasn't it you who swore never to engage me in this forum again? Or was that someone else who was tweaked about having their thoughts and opinions scrutinized a bit? Good to see you again in any case. Where ya been?
LOL! No, that wasn't me. I've always had a pretty healthy respect for you, along with a few others of the "atheist persuasion"

But the reason I "dittoed" your post is because I feel that if someone has questions about a certain subject, it's probably best to go to a better 'source' than to simply throw a question out to others. As you so eloquently pointed out, there's a thread (or two...) on the subject of NDE's. A quick search can bring one to that (those) thread(s).

In any case, good to 'see' you! Keep that lil' ol' heart pumpin'!

Old 11-06-2023, 02:01 PM

12,033 posts, read 6,564,574 times
Quote:
This may help you.

It is the archive to thousands of NDE stories over decades and there is a long questionnaire each NDEr fills out.
There is a whole section on religion questions— what their religion was before the NDE and how it was affected .most of them say they are less “religious” now but way more spiritual. Many of them gave up religion totally but have a strong spiritual life after NDE. Many atheists and agnostics became spiritual as in believing in God or whatever word they are comfortable calling it, but they are not religious at all.

https://www.nderf.org/Archives/archivelist.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality