Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2023, 08:04 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,944,262 times

Advertisements

"Chief among the new doctrines is the idea that God rewards “seeding”—that is, the “sowing” of financial donations to churches, or favored online preachers—with a material harvest in return."

This of course is the notorious "prosperity gospel" we all know taints the Christian faith and has for the last 70 years since the days of Oral Roberts, but what interesting about this is the extent to which it has skyrocketed in churches in the last six years from 2017 when 32% of churches preached prosperity all the way up to 52% of churches today.

"A recent survey by Lifeway Research found that 52 percent of American churchgoing Protestants say their church teaches God will bless them if they give more money to their church and charities. That figure is up from 38 percent of churchgoers in 2017. It’s an almighty leap, according to Lifeway’s executive director, Scott McConnell, who attributes the shift to the pandemic."

"The Evangelicals Calling for War on Poor People

A new, antisocial strain of the prosperity gospel is making its way into pulpits and breeding new hostility toward the least fortunate Americans."

https://newrepublic.com/article/1761...stian-war-poor

My thoughts on this are that with churches, except the mega-Churches, closing their doors by the thousands every year, desperate pastors are trying any teaching that has proven itself to bring in $$$$$'s to keep the doors open and the light and electric bill paid.

"Jesus loves you" doesn't get the bills paid but "Give a buck to God and get a hundred bucks back" apparently does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2023, 08:30 AM

43,185 posts, read 18,342,538 times
Well I go to one of the churches that don't have their hand out for money.
I'm quite happy with it.

Old 10-24-2023, 09:47 AM

20,443 posts, read 12,807,765 times
My Southern Baptist mega-church does not teach this. We have an $8 million budget and are debt-free.

Old 10-24-2023, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well I go to one of the churches that don't have their hand out for money.
I'm quite happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
My Southern Baptist mega-church does not teach this. We have an $8 million budget and are debt-free.

What are your churches doing right that the thousands of others are not?

Old 10-24-2023, 10:34 AM

7,082 posts, read 8,958,239 times
I have a KJV bible believing independent Baptist church in my neighborhood that is in a very modest older building and I never see high dollar luxury vehicles parked there so I doubt they are preaching believe and you will receive or the name it and claim it doctrine. There is a mega church in my town that has a parking lot that looks like a luxury car dealership every Sunday morning and they even have a basketball court, I would imagine that when they hug people after receiving Jesus they are looking at the labels in their clothes. I guess they never saw the part of the Bible that says not to lay up treasures.

Old 10-24-2023, 10:56 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,043,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
"Chief among the new doctrines is the idea that God rewards “seeding”—that is, the “sowing” of financial donations to churches, or favored online preachers—with a material harvest in return."

This of course is the notorious "prosperity gospel" we all know taints the Christian faith and has for the last 70 years since the days of Oral Roberts, but what interesting about this is the extent to which it has skyrocketed in churches in the last six years from 2017 when 32% of churches preached prosperity all the way up to 52% of churches today.

"A recent survey by Lifeway Research found that 52 percent of American churchgoing Protestants say their church teaches God will bless them if they give more money to their church and charities. That figure is up from 38 percent of churchgoers in 2017. It’s an almighty leap, according to Lifeway’s executive director, Scott McConnell, who attributes the shift to the pandemic."

"The Evangelicals Calling for War on Poor People

A new, antisocial strain of the prosperity gospel is making its way into pulpits and breeding new hostility toward the least fortunate Americans."

https://newrepublic.com/article/1761...stian-war-poor

My thoughts on this are that with churches, except the mega-Churches, closing their doors by the thousands every year, desperate pastors are trying any teaching that has proven itself to bring in $$$$$'s to keep the doors open and the light and electric bill paid.

"Jesus loves you" doesn't get the bills paid but "Give a buck to God and get a hundred bucks back" apparently does.
You've been corrected on this numerous times, but I'll say it again. The Word of Faith heresy is not Biblical Christianity. If you want to identify them as "Evangelical", ok. But the prosperity Gospel is not consistent with Christianity.

The fact that you continue to spout your anti-Christian nonsense based on the observations of people practicing teachings Christians oppose is crazy.

My pastor has explicitly condemned the idea that God blesses based on giving. We don't even pass an offering plate.

Old 10-24-2023, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You've been corrected on this numerous times, but I'll say it again. The Word of Faith heresy is not Biblical Christianity. If you want to identify them as "Evangelical", ok. But the prosperity Gospel is not consistent with Christianity.

The fact that you continue to spout your anti-Christian nonsense based on the observations of people practicing teachings Christians oppose is crazy.

My pastor has explicitly condemned the idea that God blesses based on giving. We don't even pass an offering plate.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Old 10-24-2023, 02:45 PM

43,185 posts, read 18,342,538 times
Well if you look at the actual survey they add the "strongly agree" and "somewhat agree".
That's like counting "yes" and "maybe" as all yes.

They did that for all the questions.

Only 24% "strongly agree".
Here's the survey:
https://research.lifeway.com/wp-cont...pel-Report.pdf

Old 10-24-2023, 03:22 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,179,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
What are your churches doing right that the thousands of others are not?

Big evangelical churches take members from small evangelical churches. It's the same effect Wal-Mart has on mom & pop stores.

In America, it's "go big or go home," whether it's housing, retail, entertainment, or religion.

Old 10-24-2023, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Big evangelical churches take members from small evangelical churches. It's the same effect Wal-Mart has on mom & pop stores.

In America, it's "go big or go home," whether it's housing, retail, entertainment, or religion.

Well, in the OT God demanded the biggest, baddest temples the Jewish architects could muster. I suppose he hasn't changed 3000 years later. No small wonder the mega-churches the size of Staples Center in LA get his blessings while the small ones get stepped on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality