Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2023, 01:07 AM

3,807 posts, read 3,011,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I have a KJV bible believing independent Baptist church in my neighborhood that is in a very modest older building and I never see high dollar luxury vehicles parked there so I doubt they are preaching believe and you will receive or the name it and claim it doctrine. There is a mega church in my town that has a parking lot that looks like a luxury car dealership every Sunday morning and they even have a basketball court, I would imagine that when they hug people after receiving Jesus they are looking at the labels in their clothes. I guess they never saw the part of the Bible that says not to lay up treasures.
I’d imagine the so called “mega church” is some sort of Pentecostal group.
These smaller KJV only churches I am not overly familiar with in my life experiences.
Of course, they all isolate themselves with quotes such as “we are not of this world” etc, which keeps the members away from secular influences.
But on the OP, prosperity is still always at the core of the belief systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2023, 06:49 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,063,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Speak for yourself. There are plenty of people who are so good, they surely should go to heaven (if there is one-I kind of doubt it).
Good compared to what? What's the standard?

Last edited by BaptistFundie; 10-28-2023 at 07:00 AM..

Old 10-28-2023, 09:17 AM

7,084 posts, read 8,969,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
I’d imagine the so called “mega church” is some sort of Pentecostal group.
It’s a southern Baptist church, they started out in a really small building back in the 1960s and moved into a much larger building in the 1990s and now are in a massive building out in the cornfields the size of a sports arena.

There are a lot of things in the Bible that certain groups choose to ignore, the love of money being the root of all evil, the widow and the two mites, the rich man and Lazarus, not laying up treasures, etc. I expect better from these so called “Bible believers” leave the greed to the fringe cultists, I don’t consider them to be Christians anyway.

Old 10-29-2023, 01:13 PM

18,255 posts, read 16,965,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Speak for yourself. There are plenty of people who are so good, they surely should go to heaven (if there is one-I kind of doubt it).

I should know. I'm one of them.

Old 10-31-2023, 07:09 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,564,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
My Southern Baptist mega-church does not teach this. We have an $8 million budget and are debt-free.
I'm curious: since your church is debt-free, what do you guys DO with that $8 million?

Old 11-01-2023, 07:01 AM

18,255 posts, read 16,965,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
I'm curious: since your church is debt-free, what do you guys DO with that $8 million?

Isn't it obvious? Top-of-the-line junkets to Ken Ham's Creation Museum and Ark Encounter plus a hefty donation to Ken Ham for doing God's work.

Old 11-01-2023, 07:04 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,063,850 times
Quote:
There's lots of things. I used to attend a mega church that literally built a hospital in Mali. They were debt free and they would put huge amounts of money to missions.

Then there is the honest truth that it simply costs a lot to run a megachurch. Besides having 30 pastors on staff and all the support staff, heating and cooling a massive building along with the production of the Sunday morning event just cost money.

Old 11-01-2023, 01:36 PM

7,603 posts, read 6,108,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
My Southern Baptist mega-church does not teach this. We have an $8 million budget and are debt-free.
And nothing wrong with having money. Flaunting it does not impress me, I do not begrudge those who have earned more nor do I belittle or condescend to those who have less. After all, Jesus loved the poor, right?

My question is accountability. Most churches will, if requested, provide a budget sheet that lists all assets, debits, and transactions. There is a degree of transparency so that anyone could request an audited annual budget to see how this $8 budget is spent and maintained. IF I went to your church and requested an audited copy of the budget , would they provide me with one?

Now try getting that from Robert Tilton, or from some of these INDY Megachurches or wanna be megachurches that are not there yet....Mini-Churches?

Thing is, I do not donate to churches. If I meet up with a friend who is pastor of a church for lunch, I pay. I make more than he does (I read the budget sheet)

If they need money to provide school supplies for a neighborhood school in a low income area, then I give it to them for that event. Anything to help kiddos have the materials they need to learn and stay in school.

If they are having a food drive, well, yeah, I will load up as much as I can afford and bring it to them.

But I know that these churches, according to their audited accounting reports, are in fact using the money to pay for what they are claiming.
And I have no problem paying for things which are important, but I would rather pay directly to those sources.

Old 11-01-2023, 03:17 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,825,448 times
Quote:
Preach, teach and charity work. We run a free medical and dental clinic for the poor, build other churches, send missionaries both near and far, give away coats, groceries and toys to the poor during the holidays, do light construction for the elderly and handicapped, run a free after-school program for at-risk students and their families…

Old 11-01-2023, 03:24 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,825,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
And nothing wrong with having money. Flaunting it does not impress me, I do not begrudge those who have earned more nor do I belittle or condescend to those who have less. After all, Jesus loved the poor, right?

My question is accountability. Most churches will, if requested, provide a budget sheet that lists all assets, debits, and transactions. There is a degree of transparency so that anyone could request an audited annual budget to see how this $8 budget is spent and maintained. IF I went to your church and requested an audited copy of the budget , would they provide me with one?

Now try getting that from Robert Tilton, or from some of these INDY Megachurches or wanna be megachurches that are not there yet....Mini-Churches?

Thing is, I do not donate to churches. If I meet up with a friend who is pastor of a church for lunch, I pay. I make more than he does (I read the budget sheet)

If they need money to provide school supplies for a neighborhood school in a low income area, then I give it to them for that event. Anything to help kiddos have the materials they need to learn and stay in school.

If they are having a food drive, well, yeah, I will load up as much as I can afford and bring it to them.

But I know that these churches, according to their audited accounting reports, are in fact using the money to pay for what they are claiming.
And I have no problem paying for things which are important, but I would rather pay directly to those sources.
Yes. They are placed in the main foyer every month. Besides having staff in charge of our finances, we have a church treasurer (a lay person), a finance committee (lay persons) and our deacons who keep an eye on our money. Our books are audited once a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality