Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 11:30 AM

1,003 posts, read 795,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And all those things that he sees -- murders, starvations, kidnappings for sex slavery, child abuse, and on and on...and all he does is watch? Shame, shame, shame.
54:0.1 (613.1) EVOLUTIONARY man finds it difficult fully to comprehend the significance and to grasp the meanings of evil, error, sin, and iniquity. Man is slow to perceive that contrastive perfection and imperfection produce potential evil; that conflicting truth and falsehood create confusing error; that the divine endowment of freewill choice eventuates in the divergent realms of sin and righteousness; that the persistent pursuit of divinity leads to the kingdom of God as contrasted with its continuous rejection, which leads to the domains of iniquity.

54:0.2 (613.2) The Gods neither create evil nor permit sin and rebellion. Potential evil is time-existent in a universe embracing differential levels of perfection meanings and values. Sin is potential in all realms where imperfect beings are endowed with the ability to choose between good and evil. The very conflicting presence of truth and untruth, fact and falsehood, constitutes the potentiality of error. The deliberate choice of evil constitutes sin; the willful rejection of truth is error; the persistent pursuit of sin and error is iniquity.

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book...ifer-rebellion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2023, 12:44 PM

50,961 posts, read 24,459,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRoadg View Post
54:0.1 (613.1) EVOLUTIONARY man finds it difficult fully to comprehend the significance and to grasp the meanings of evil, error, sin, and iniquity. Man is slow to perceive that contrastive perfection and imperfection produce potential evil; that conflicting truth and falsehood create confusing error; that the divine endowment of freewill choice eventuates in the divergent realms of sin and righteousness; that the persistent pursuit of divinity leads to the kingdom of God as contrasted with its continuous rejection, which leads to the domains of iniquity.

54:0.2 (613.2) The Gods neither create evil nor permit sin and rebellion. Potential evil is time-existent in a universe embracing differential levels of perfection meanings and values. Sin is potential in all realms where imperfect beings are endowed with the ability to choose between good and evil. The very conflicting presence of truth and untruth, fact and falsehood, constitutes the potentiality of error. The deliberate choice of evil constitutes sin; the willful rejection of truth is error; the persistent pursuit of sin and error is iniquity.

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book...ifer-rebellion
I'm not talking about what man does. So you can put away the proselytizing about how evil we are.

Old 08-14-2023, 01:16 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,819,767 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about what man does. So you can put away the proselytizing about how evil we are.
Is man evil, in your opinion?

Old 08-14-2023, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
Is man evil, in your opinion?
Some become evil*.

* using this definiton: "morally reprehensible"

Old 08-15-2023, 02:35 AM

529 posts, read 185,375 times
Quote:
You are Truly A Child of God in the Kingdom of Heaven.
Thanks so much RockyRoadg that means so much to me! Hugs!!!

Old 08-15-2023, 08:44 AM

Quote:
What ever gave you the idea that I was trying to convert you?

To be imperfect or partial in natural endowment is not sinful. Man is indeed subject to evil, but he is in no sense the child of the evil one unless he has knowingly and deliberately chosen the paths of sin and the life of iniquity. Evil is inherent in the natural order of this world, but sin is an attitude of conscious rebellion which was brought to this world by those who fell from spiritual light into gross darkness.

Last edited by RockyRoadg; 08-15-2023 at 08:54 AM..

Old 08-15-2023, 09:02 AM

Quote:
What ever gave you the idea that I was trying to convert you?

To be imperfect or partial in natural endowment is not sinful. Man is indeed subject to evil, but he is in no sense the child of the evil one unless he has knowingly and deliberately chosen the paths of sin and the life of iniquity. Evil is inherent in the natural order of this world, but sin is an attitude of conscious rebellion which was brought to this world by those who fell from spiritual light into gross darkness.
Well, you're not putting all those quotations up for your own amusement and edification.

Old 08-15-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Well, you're not putting all those quotations up for your own amusement and edification.
maybe

Old 08-15-2023, 09:53 AM

501 posts, read 170,983 times
Although this is the Religion & Spirituality forum, the OP articulates no religious or spiritual position at all - none. What he articulates, in a nutshell, is his dissatisfaction with the Christian perspective and why he disagrees with the assumptions he believes Christians make. (To take the broadest possible view, I suppose the OP could be viewed as saying "I live according to what seems intuitively right to me" - but that is a pragmatic perspective that has nothing to do with ultimate Truth, not a religious or spiritual perspective.)

I pointed out, quite fairly I believe, that his understanding of the Christian perspective is badly flawed. It isn't what Christians believe or teach. I have no problem with intelligent criticism of a Christian perspective, but let's at least get the basic fundamentals correct and not set up straw men.

Predictably, of course, my posts - which I don't believe any rational individual with minimal reading comprehension skills could view as proselytizing or insisting upon the Truth of Christianity - brought out the peanut gallery of knee-jerk screeches about my ego, my proselytizing and the obvious falsity of my Christian beliefs and the Bible on which they are based. All completely irrelevant to the original post or my responses, but haters gonna hate.

Both the OP and some of the responses suggest to me one of the key difficulties with the Religion & Spirituality forum. A disproportionate number of the contributions, it seems to me, amount to little more than uninformed diatribes on "Why we hate orthodox Christians" and "Why we think orthodox Christian beliefs are silly" rather than positive contributions to intelligent discussions of Religion & Spirituality.

Old 08-15-2023, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Darby View Post
Although this is the Religion & Spirituality forum, the OP articulates no religious or spiritual position at all - none. What he articulates, in a nutshell, is his dissatisfaction with the Christian perspective and why he disagrees with the assumptions he believes Christians make. (To take the broadest possible view, I suppose the OP could be viewed as saying "I live according to what seems intuitively right to me" - but that is a pragmatic perspective that has nothing to do with ultimate Truth, not a religious or spiritual perspective.)

I pointed out, quite fairly I believe, that his understanding of the Christian perspective is badly flawed. It isn't what Christians believe or teach. I have no problem with intelligent criticism of a Christian perspective, but let's at least get the basic fundamentals correct and not set up straw men.

Predictably, of course, my posts - which I don't believe any rational individual with minimal reading comprehension skills could view as proselytizing or insisting upon the Truth of Christianity - brought out the peanut gallery of knee-jerk screeches about my ego, my proselytizing and the obvious falsity of my Christian beliefs and the Bible on which they are based. All completely irrelevant to the original post or my responses, but haters gonna hate.

Both the OP and some of the responses suggest to me one of the key difficulties with the Religion & Spirituality forum. A disproportionate number of the contributions, it seems to me, amount to little more than uninformed diatribes on "Why we hate orthodox Christians" and "Why we think orthodox Christian beliefs are silly" rather than positive contributions to intelligent discussions of Religion & Spirituality.
You act as if all christians believe the same thing(s). Really? Is that why we have methodists, baptists, catholics, mormons, and on and on and on...and subgroups within those groups. Maybe you ought to really take a look at this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._denominations

So all of your posts are simply for your own edification?

Well, if everyone who disagrees with your beliefs are contributing to "uninformed diatribes on "Why we hate orthodox Christians" and "Why we think orthodox Christian beliefs are silly"", perhaps you ought to start contemplating why so many people in the world take such a dislike to you folks. Maybe it's your attitude -- the holier than thou attitude -- that turns people off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality