Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 06:17 AM

1,754 posts, read 754,475 times

Advertisements

Much of our spiritual outlook is inside of us and determined by how we choose to view the world each day.

My family and I were traveling in northern rural Michigan in the Upper Peninsula. And we stopped at a place to eat - it was lovely, but not a lot for vegetarians, but prominently displayed on the wall of the restaurant were two sayings:

"It's a Great Day to Have a Great Day"

and

"In God We Trust"

The guy running the cash register was extremely friendly and informative about the menu and latter revealed himself as the owner of the small, but busy restaurant. He only had 1 arm.

He was constantly working. Helping make the fries, running the register, asking customers if everything was okay.

He chit chatted with us and other customers. It came up that he had lost his arm, because he had stopped to help someone who was in an accident during bad weather and then a semitruck "jack knifed" and hit him taking his arm.

He had owned a small sheet metal business, but could no longer do that work with 1 arm, so he opened up the restaurant business. You could tell he had great pride in the place and bragged about he and his son had made the nice log picnic tables you eat on and that the beef comes from his brother's farm and the fish are locally caught.

He credits the two sayings on his wall to turning his life around and his spirituality after being depressed losing an arm.

Often times we can wake up in the morning and simply choose to have a positive view and that makes the difference. Sometimes, you can be handed lemons and choose to make lemonade. A lot of the choice to be positive or negative is within us. Perhaps this can even work with anxiety too. Every day features an opportunity to make a choice for the better, to reach out to others, to help someone in need, etc.

"In God We Trust"

It's helpful and comforting to know that at the end of it all, we are God's children that he loves and we will be taken care of in the end. All he wants from us is for us to love others and use our freewill to help others. He'll do the rest in the end. Just make a life plan, try hard, and love and serve others.

It would probably be inappropriate to mention the exact location and name of the restaurant, but it is in the middle of nowhere Michigan and my husband loved their hamburgers so much he wanted me to try it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2023, 09:10 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Much of our spiritual outlook is inside of us and determined by how we choose to view the world each day.
Yes, it is a choice to be excercised. Great post.

Old 06-29-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post

My family and I were traveling in northern rural Michigan in the Upper Peninsula. And we stopped at a place to eat - it was lovely, but not a lot for vegetarians, but prominently displayed on the wall of the restaurant were two sayings:

and

"In God We Trust"

The guy running the cash register was extremely friendly and informative about the menu and latter revealed himself as the owner of the small, but busy restaurant. He only had 1 arm.

He was constantly working. Helping make the fries, running the register, asking customers if everything was okay.

He chit chatted with us and other customers. It came up that he had lost his arm, because he had stopped to help someone who was in an accident during bad weather and then a semitruck "jack knifed" and hit him taking his arm.

He had owned a small sheet metal business, but could no longer do that work with 1 arm, so he opened up the restaurant business. You could tell he had great pride in the place and bragged about he and his son had made the nice log picnic tables you eat on and that the beef comes from his brother's farm and the fish are locally caught.

He credits the two sayings on his wall to turning his life around and his spirituality after being depressed losing an arm.

Often times we can wake up in the morning and simply choose to have a positive view and that makes the difference. Sometimes, you can be handed lemons and choose to make lemonade. A lot of the choice to be positive or negative is within us. Perhaps this can even work with anxiety too. Every day features an opportunity to make a choice for the better, to reach out to others, to help someone in need, etc.

"In God We Trust"

It's helpful and comforting to know that at the end of it all, we are God's children that he loves and we will be taken care of in the end. All he wants from us is for us to love others and use our freewill to help others. He'll do the rest in the end. Just make a life plan, try hard, and love and serve others.

It would probably be inappropriate to mention the exact location and name of the restaurant, but it is in the middle of nowhere Michigan and my husband loved their hamburgers so much he wanted me to try it.
You have told us many times that you are married to an atheist. How does he react to a board that says in God We Trust? How do YOU make this work for you? I am truly impressed and all power to you and wishing you both much happiness.

Old 06-29-2023, 11:44 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
I'd rather rely on internal desire to "have a great day" and make it productive, than rely on signs to be reminded.

As for In God We Trust, that's a personal choice and decision; not something to be mandated to others through a sign or billboard message, which only cheapens it.

Public and glaring cheerleading for religion and belief is divisive and counter-productive. Same goes for political statements.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 06-29-2023 at 12:01 PM..

Old 06-29-2023, 12:00 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I'd rather rely on internal desire to "have a great day" and make it productive, than rely on signs to be reminded.

And as for In God We Trust, that's a personal choice and decision; not something to be mandated to others through a sign or billboard message, which only cheapens it.

Public and glaring cheerleading for religion and belief is counter-productive, and not unifying. Same goes for political statements.
The bolded -- that's for sure.

Old 06-29-2023, 12:16 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:

As for In God We Trust, that's a personal choice and decision; not something to be mandated to others through a sign or billboard message, which only cheapens it.

Public and glaring cheerleading for religion and belief is divisive and counter-productive. Same goes for political statements.
Normally your posts are quite reasonable, but this one is way too cynical and off-putting. There is nothing wrong with public acknowledgment of belief in God as long as it has no potential to be imposed on others. The banning of public expressions of belief in God is anathema to both free speech and religious liberty!!! Besides it is a douche-bag attitude, IMO!

Old 06-29-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Normally your posts are quite reasonable, but this one is way too cynical and off-putting. There is nothing wrong with public acknowledgment of belief in God as long as it has no potential to be imposed on others. The banning of public expressions of belief in God is anathema to both free speech and religious liberty!!! Besides it is a douche-bag attitude, IMO!
Where -- exactly -- did he say anothing about "banning" expressions of religion?

Old 06-29-2023, 12:39 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Phet's correct; I said nothing about banning. I'm all for freedom, though some freedoms tend to get in the way, and are counterproductive.

If public expressions like this are good for the goose, political statements would be good for the gander. I say we'd all be better off without each of them and their cheerleading. But it's only a suggestion.

Old 06-29-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Phet's correct; I said nothing about banning. I'm all for freedom, though some freedoms tend to get in the way, and are counterproductive.

If public expressions like this are good for the goose, political statements would be good for the gander. I say we'd all be better off without each of them / both sides. But it's only a suggestion.
Yes.

I've told this story before, but I'll relate it again.

Had some friends when living back in Virginia who were quite religioius. If I went to their house, before dinner there would be a group christian prayer...even though they knew I was Buddhist. So I decided to return the favor, and at my house gave a sort of Buddhist blessing before dinner, and the response was that "We're uncomfortable with a Buddhist blessing". So, it's okay for the majority to make the minority uncomfortable, but not okay for the minority to make the majority uncomfortable. So very American.

Old 06-29-2023, 01:16 PM

Quote:

I think the owner is proclaiming that he trusts God. His shop, his sign. I like seeing a board wishing me a good day. Moderator cut: Unnecessary and provocative.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-29-2023 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: Beginning of thread derail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality