Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 09:00 PM

77 posts, read 18,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes.

I've told this story before, but I'll relate it again.

Had some friends when living back in Virginia who were quite religioius. If I went to their house, before dinner there would be a group christian prayer...even though they knew I was Buddhist. So I decided to return the favor, and at my house gave a sort of Buddhist blessing before dinner, and the response was that "We're uncomfortable with a Buddhist blessing". So, it's okay for the majority to make the minority uncomfortable, but not okay for the minority to make the majority uncomfortable. So very American.
I think you are looking at it the wrong way.

It's not so much about "majority", but that lots of religious types are narcissistic minded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2023, 10:24 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evenstar View Post
I think you are looking at it the wrong way.

It's not so much about "majority", but that lots of religious types are narcissistic minded.
Okay...I can agree with that...but not toss away the affect of being a minority or a majority.

Old 06-29-2023, 10:45 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Stay on topic. The thread is supposed to be about positive attitude.

Old 06-30-2023, 08:41 AM

17,776 posts, read 13,665,953 times
I'd like to get Elvin Bishop to go to the UP and play this song for the one armed restaurant owner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBwfp0k-GvI

Old 06-30-2023, 10:13 AM

529 posts, read 181,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
"It's a Great Day to Have a Great Day"

and

"In God We Trust"
Thanks for a wonderful and positive story it really is a testament of one's character to be able to smile even in the most dire of situations.

I remember we were in a bay miles from shore in my father's boat. We were overloaded with people and fishing equipment, while a vicious storm came out of nowhere. The boat was tossing and turning blindly out in the sea and everyone had worried looks on their faces except me.

I was giggling and having the time of my life while my sisters were looking at me in astonishment. "What are you smiling at sis, we're all going to DIE!". I replied with a smirk on my face "No we're not, because I'm having too much fun!" ha-ha, I was a strange and unique girl that didn't seem to grasp the danger we were in that day, but somehow I knew were we going to be safe and we were ha-ha, it's all in the attitude!

I love storms but I didn't want to get wet the day I went walking so I was running home as fast as I could in a rural field our home bordered on. I was at least a mile away using my witchcraft to keep the rain from falling as I ran home, but couldn't concentrate anymore as I grew tired so the dark cloud that formed over me out of nowhere couldn't hold the water anymore and a violent downdraft of 60mph winds fell on me as the cloud collapsed on top of me. It wasn't rain that fell on me it felt like a giant ocean of water dumped on me all at once and I was instantly drenched and soaking wet. It was a miracle I didn't fall to the ground from such a powerful and violent storm but it was all over in less than a minute. I was shaking and trembling after it was all over and then I just burst out laughing. WOW! To be able to experience the power of a downdraft storm was so AWESOME! My poor parents just looked up in the air and then at me when they saw me laughing as I reached the front door. My hair looked like a wet mop but there was a happy smile on that mop!

I flew from one side of a mountain to the other on one faithful day of my life. It wasn't by choice, I kind of got lost in some of the densest fog I ever seen that came out of nowhere. These out of nowhere theme's really seem to be the story of my life lol. Well anyway the fog lifted and I found myself clinging to a cliff about to fall over a hundred feet to my death, but as I looked around I saw that if I could fly 20 feet away from the other side of the cliff I would be safe. So I let go of the cliff I was so desperately holding on to and flew to the other side. As I was walking down the "safe side of the mountain I came across a man and his son that had such strange looks on their faces so I said hi to them but they quickly walked past me. When I got to the park restroom to clean myself up I looked like a total wild woman, there were a thousand tiny droplets of water on my hair, mud on my face and a few scrapes where I slipped on some rocks earlier. I looked totally wild but I had such a peaceful and happy look on my face it was a great day to be alive, but there was one thing I regretted asking the father and son when they hurried past me. I regret asking them if they saw me fly, ha-ha because I don't know how I did it?

I feel so bad about this last story but I had good intentions. A friend of mine named Samantha, yes her name came from the Bewitched character lol and my friend is a witch, asked if I could go with her to a park because she thinks a lady might have died there that needed our help. So we walked many parts of several unmarked trails and actually saw a few hikers walk by that gave me scary looks. I smiled at them and said "I'm looking for a friend, want to join us in searching for her?" as I held up a small shovel I was carrying with me lol. They kind of ran away and I didn't realize the gravity of what I said until Samantha said "Do you know how creepy that sounded?" As we both laughed and kept looking for our deceased friend.

We never found her that day, but we did have a moment of silence and short prayer for her to let her know we love her. Oh the life of a witch, would you like to join me on some of my adventures darling?

If there is anything I learned about life, it is precious. I try to live each day as of it were my last day here. I try to keep the mentality that it is a real joy to be here and nothing is going to get me down because I truly am enjoying every moment of it. There are a lot of things that can bring us down but it's all in the attitude of how we look at things in life. I am a very strange and eccentric person but the thing I found out the most I love about life is the joy it brings me!

Old 07-01-2023, 09:29 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Where -- exactly -- did he say anothing about "banning" expressions of religion?
Right. I might raise an eyebrow at a (non-church run) burger joint proclaiming “In God We Trust,†but there’s nothing inherently intolerant or chauvinistic about it. They can trust in God all they want. If they make good burgers and don’t say or do hateful things, this atheist is happy to part with his God-entrusted bills and coinage.

Old 07-01-2023, 09:43 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times
Nice story, thanks for sharing.

Old 07-01-2023, 06:22 PM

1,750 posts, read 752,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
You have told us many times that you are married to an atheist. How does he react to a board that says in God We Trust? How do YOU make this work for you? I am truly impressed and all power to you and wishing you both much happiness.
He might be shifting to more of an agnostic now. He doesn't mind it. He was raised religious, his parents are religious and he wanted to date me and ask me out knowing that I am very religious. I told him I would only go out on a date with him if he promised me that if we ever married that our kids would be raised as Quakers and he agreed. So he knew what he was getting into when he wanted to date me and then later marry me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I'd rather rely on internal desire to "have a great day" and make it productive, than rely on signs to be reminded.

As for In God We Trust, that's a personal choice and decision; not something to be mandated to others through a sign or billboard message, which only cheapens it.

Public and glaring cheerleading for religion and belief is divisive and counter-productive. Same goes for political statements.
I am sorry if you find this thread divisive. I intended it as a positive mindset as beneficial. I found the owner inspirational.

Quote:
Yes.

I've told this story before, but I'll relate it again.

Had some friends when living back in Virginia who were quite religioius. If I went to their house, before dinner there would be a group christian prayer...even though they knew I was Buddhist. So I decided to return the favor, and at my house gave a sort of Buddhist blessing before dinner, and the response was that "We're uncomfortable with a Buddhist blessing". So, it's okay for the majority to make the minority uncomfortable, but not okay for the minority to make the majority uncomfortable. So very American.
I am sorry that your friends were hypocrites and unreasonable.

I enjoy seeing and hearing other faiths, ideas, and the like.

The important thing is that we are all connected and we need to emphasize loving and serving each other.

Old 07-01-2023, 06:45 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post

I am sorry that your friends were hypocrites and unreasonable.

I enjoy seeing and hearing other faiths, ideas, and the like.

The important thing is that we are all connected and we need to emphasize loving and serving each other.
But that doesn't require religion

Old 07-01-2023, 06:54 PM

1,750 posts, read 752,952 times
Quote:
But that doesn't require religion
You're right on that. In fact, there are times when religion can hinder that if applied inappropriately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality