Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 04:05 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
Waves are nothing but water through and through, however water is not a wave.
In this conceptualization God is but a wave. A big wave (the biggest!) but still a wave and Brahman is Water. Or God is the Universe/Cosmos and Brahman is the Unified Field.
OK, I can contemplate this tomorrow after coffee! Long day.
God wave, Brahman the water.
God Universe, Brahman the Unified Field.
Got it.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2023, 05:49 PM

551 posts, read 190,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
OK, I can contemplate this tomorrow after coffee! Long day.
God wave, Brahman the water.
God Universe, Brahman the Unified Field.
Got it.
Thanks
Either you'll attain Enlightenment or a splitting headache. LOL!

Old 06-15-2023, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
Either you'll attain Enlightenment or a splitting headache. LOL!
You know me so well...about the headache part!

Old 06-15-2023, 05:56 PM

551 posts, read 190,318 times
Quote:
You know me so well...about the headache part!
Hmm... Maybe an Enlightened headache?

Old 06-15-2023, 06:21 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Brahmaputra is one of the rivers in India, along with Saraswati, and Ghaghara streams off........ Show that the old story of Abraham, Sara and Hagar were known in India people who are people who knew God to have their names put on Rivers and streams in India
Always trying to steal from other cultures.

Old 06-15-2023, 09:49 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Quote:
Am I asking too much?
Who is God, the Creator of all, in relation to Brahman and The Absolute...and might as well toss
in the Nothingness....and comment on the relationship with Jesus' Father.
I don't come up with these things, I'm way simpler....but I'm not understanding things others talk about.
For me, I'm happy just saying 'God'.

I am NOT bringing in Krishna, Vishnu and the rest of the gang on this.
Might as well answer the diff between why some say Brahma, others Brahman. (??)
And Thanks.

This is not about questioning whether they exist.

Krishna.

Brahma is only responsible for the current universe.
Krishna is the ultimate creator. Shiva, the Krishna avatar, is ultimate destroyer. Vishnu is the protector.

Brahma is the title given to the engineer and manager of the universe. He is the first created entity (pay attention - Brahma is CREATED by Krishna) within the universe. The Supreme Person Krishna, in His role as Vishnu, creates the material world. Brahma's universe is IN the material world. So is Brahma.
In the Bhagavadgita, the chief speaker, Lord Krishna, projects himself as the ultimate reality from where the entire creation radiates. In this regard, Lord Krishna is the Brahman.

Old 06-16-2023, 01:25 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Krishna.

Brahma is only responsible for the current universe.
Krishna is the ultimate creator. Shiva, the Krishna avatar, is ultimate destroyer. Vishnu is the protector.

Brahma is the title given to the engineer and manager of the universe. He is the first created entity (pay attention - Brahma is CREATED by Krishna) within the universe. The Supreme Person Krishna, in His role as Vishnu, creates the material world. Brahma's universe is IN the material world. So is Brahma.
In the Bhagavadgita, the chief speaker, Lord Krishna, projects himself as the ultimate reality from where the entire creation radiates. In this regard, Lord Krishna is the Brahman.
Are you mixing up Brahma the deity, and Brhman the Cosmic Consciousness?
The mythologies of creation and avatars are immensely fascinating. There are puranas for every deity, padma purana, shiva purana, devi purana, skanda purana and so on.
Revelation of his self as Brhman by Krishna is an awe inspiring and amazing passage in the Gita.

Old 06-16-2023, 07:34 AM

I thought Krishna was an avatar of Vishnu! I'm not goin' there!

But because of this thread I understand way more --Brahma and Brahman.

Old 06-16-2023, 07:53 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
I am not mixing anything.
Krishna is the absolute supreme being. It created Brahma, after creation of the material world, to operate current universe, in which Brahma is the whatever supreme. Current universe will be destroyed, as ones before it, and a new one will appear and so on.
In Vedas, Krishna is THE ONE.

That's if you want to follow a sort of "creation" narrative. On my books, nothing was ever created. Everything always was, is and will be. There always is transient physical, or Nature, world and non transient Realm of Permanence.

That's it. The rest is just human attempts to describe that in terms, human can comprehend.

Namaste

Old 06-16-2023, 10:25 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
I thought Krishna was an avatar of Vishnu! I'm not goin' there!

But because of this thread I understand way more --Brahma and Brahman.
Krishna is indeed an avatar of Vishnu, the protector. Avatar literally means the one who returns to take you across the troubled waters, to re-establish Dharma, the cosmic order of the universe. Per purana, ancient story, loosely translated as mythology, there are 10 avatars. The last is yet to come, riding a white horse. Some count Buddha as one in which case there are 11.

Hindu mythologies are amazing and magnificent, the original magic realism. They are tales nested into tales nested into tales, and involve all worldly things, humans and divine beings, rishis and demons, rpyalty and peasants , animals and birds, all playing roles. Many festivals are based on these and joyously celebrated year round, every season, all over India and abroad.

That is not Vedanta. Vedanta are philosophical inquiries and appear at the ends each Veda, which are 4 in number. The inquires are collected as Upanishad and they are in the form of questions and answers. There are 100s of them. 12 of these make up Advaita, non-dual school of philosophy, and Shankara is credited with collecting them and establishing a system of inquiry. Each has an author. Shankara has written commentary on these commentaries, and also wrote countless texts on Advaita, and songs of praise on all deities as well. The Bhagavad Gita, which is well known, is not an upanishad but is considered as such. Shankara has written a commentary on that as well.

Brhman is not part of mythology. It is Vedanta, philosophy, inquiry into the nature of self.
Brhma is mythology and an amazing, wondrous one. He is not a deity as such and is not worshipped. There are no temples for Brhma, but several for all the other dieties in their various avatars.

These are not hard divisions. Everything flows into each other and creates a rich tapestry of Hinduism. It is a joyous religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality