Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 05:17 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times

Advertisements

Here’s a hypothesis: “god” is actually an emotion, not a person who lives in the sky somewhere.

It would explain why so many people believe in “god” even though there is no evidence for an actual person known as “god.”

So there is anger, fear, love, hate, happiness, and god.

How’s that for a working hypothesis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2023, 05:38 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,164,567 times
Personally I think it's more of a 'need' people have because they simply can't mentally accept the idea of a universe without it having been created by something. But then for some reason they are fine with the idea that nobody created the creator.

Old 05-31-2023, 05:45 PM

501 posts, read 168,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Here’s a hypothesis: “god” is actually an emotion, not a person who lives in the sky somewhere.

It would explain why so many people believe in “god” even though there is no evidence for an actual person known as “god.”

I don't believe that makes any sense. Emotions such as anger, fear, love, hate and happiness typically have an ontologically real source or object. We don't just go around being angry and hateful in a vacuum.

Your statement that there is no evidence is simply false. Many people have religious experiences that are highly evidential to them. Many people believe in a god as the best explanation for very large bodies of evidence, scientific and otherwise.

Old 05-31-2023, 05:54 PM

501 posts, read 168,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Personally I think it's more of a 'need' people have because they simply can't mentally accept the idea of a universe without it having been created by something. But then for some reason they are fine with the idea that nobody created the creator.
This can easily be turned around: many atheists cannot mentally accept a universe with moral accountability to a creator whose notions of morality don't mesh with their own. People are religious and irreligious for myriad reasons, but I have seen virtually no evidence of the need you hypothesize. Other psychological needs, yes.

The uncreated creator or uncaused cause is a deep philosophical concept and the foundation of one of the so-called proofs of the existence of god. The question isn't whether one is fine with it but whether it makes the most sense philosophically and scientifically and has the greatest explanatory power.

Old 05-31-2023, 05:58 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
No. And that's partly because there are very un-emotional people who sense God's presence. They also see God in nature, the complexity of living creatures, the universe, etc.

Some look for the effects of God, rather than the personality himself/itself. Like looking for the effects of wind, rather than the wind itself.

Maybe putting a name out there might be a stumbling block. Maybe it's just better to just acknowledge an intelligent presence, perhaps a force, that we can't fully understand, due to being so different than us. Once you start giving it or him a name, you start falling down the road of assumptions, trying to humanize it/him.

Old 05-31-2023, 06:00 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Dp a mental experiement.
Try as hard as you can, to imagine yourself not existing. Before you were born or, after death.
Just do your best.
can't can you? Impossible.
So that innate feeling of immortality in us makes us seek one, that gives that immortality, that assures it.

be well

Old 05-31-2023, 06:01 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post

Meh, it doesn't work for me as an explanation.

There's certainly can be an emotional response to the concept of god, and strong feelings associated with transcendent experiences from the so-called "god spot" in the brain -- feelings that can be elicited with an appropriately placed electrode just as well if not better than via certain religious practices.

But some people just don't feel all that much, too -- and some of them bemoan that, thinking there's something wrong with them -- yet they still believe in god.

The key question is whether you believe in a thing (regardless of what it is) because you need or want it to be so, or because it is actually demonstrably so. The answer is that most people affirm what they want / need / wish to be true, without actually determining what's true in the first place. That's true of god, religious or political views, assumptions or stereotypes about other people or groups ... the list is pretty much endless. What is truth and how does one legitimately come by it? For a lot of people the answer is that it "feels truthy" to them in some way, not that they've looked into it and determined what's actually so. It is based on group consensus and expectations, snap judgments that never get re-examined, stuff like that.

Old 05-31-2023, 06:14 PM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Dp a mental experiement.
Try as hard as you can, to imagine yourself not existing. Before you were born or, after death.
Just do your best.
can't can you? Impossible.
So that innate feeling of immortality in us makes us seek one, that gives that immortality, that assures it.

be well
I hav eno problem imagining that. My days are numbered. I will soon not exist. Unless reincarnation is true after all.

Old 05-31-2023, 06:43 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,164,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Darby View Post
This can easily be turned around: many atheists cannot mentally accept a universe with moral accountability to a creator whose notions of morality don't mesh with their own. People are religious and irreligious for myriad reasons, but I have seen virtually no evidence of the need you hypothesize. Other psychological needs, yes.

The uncreated creator or uncaused cause is a deep philosophical concept and the foundation of one of the so-called proofs of the existence of god. The question isn't whether one is fine with it but whether it makes the most sense philosophically and scientifically and has the greatest explanatory power.
I see you haven't been around here for long. You see virtually no evidence for it?
I've seen plenty of evidence for it. It's one of the most common reasons people have for their belief: that they can't visualise a universe without a creator.
Stick around for a bit, it'll come around.

As to morality, it depends which god you are referring to. There are many versions of god. You'll have to be more specific.

Old 05-31-2023, 06:52 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
I think God is a metaphor. People use that in all kinds of ways especially if taken literally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality