Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2023, 11:41 AM

15,984 posts, read 7,048,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
Oftentimes our first instinct is to attack what we fear.
Absolutely, yes. And behavious based on fear are not rational.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2023, 11:43 AM

50,874 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It depends on the sect. The sect I was raised in literally believed “god” was an invisible man living in the sky (or outer space) that watched everything everyone did at all times.
And I remember in our Methodist church paintings that depicted just that.

Old 06-01-2023, 11:49 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And I remember in our Methodist church paintings that depicted just that.
Did you ever HEAR a preacher say that? That God is an invisible man in the sky?

Old 06-01-2023, 12:17 PM

1,003 posts, read 790,751 times
100:5.5 (1099.3) But emotion alone is a false conversion; one must have faith as well as feeling. To the extent that such psychic mobilization is partial, and in so far as such human-loyalty motivation is incomplete, to that extent will the experience of conversion be a blended intellectual, emotional, and spiritual reality.

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book...man-experience

194:3.16 (2065.4) Before Pentecost the apostles had given up much for Jesus. They had sacrificed their homes, families, friends, worldly goods, and positions. At Pentecost they gave themselves to God, and the Father and the Son responded by giving themselves to man—sending their spirits to live within men. This experience of losing self and finding the spirit was not one of emotion; it was an act of intelligent self-surrender and unreserved consecration.

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book...l-spirit-truth

Old 06-01-2023, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Did you ever HEAR a preacher say that? That God is an invisible man in the sky?
No, but it was the preacher who put the paintings up.

But wait a minute. Now that I think of it, there were times the minister called on us to bow our heads in prayer, and other times he told us to look up to the heavens. Hmmm.

But, you need to remember what my point is. I don't believe there is a god, so I'm not saying he's up in the clouds. My point is that there are christians who believe that sort of thing.

Old 06-01-2023, 12:34 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, but it was the preacher who put the paintings up.

But wait a minute. Now that I think of it, there were times the minister called on us to bow our heads in prayer, and other times he told us to look up to the heavens. Hmmm.

But, you need to remember what my point is. I don't believe there is a god, so I'm not saying he's up in the clouds. My point is that there are christians who believe that sort of thing.
"No, but...."

You seem to be all about that. Nevermind what Christians ACTUALLY believe, right? Because you know better.

Old 06-01-2023, 12:43 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,557,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Here’s a hypothesis: “god” is actually an emotion, not a person who lives in the sky somewhere.

It would explain why so many people believe in “god” even though there is no evidence for an actual person known as “god.”

So there is anger, fear, love, hate, happiness, and god.

How’s that for a working hypothesis?
Another person that believes man created God? LOL

Old 06-01-2023, 12:50 PM

477 posts, read 125,513 times
Quote:
We all agree that exterminating Jews was evil and wrong. But the Nazis in 1943 didn't think so.
They were objectively wrong and suffered the consequences.
Quote:
We all agree that human sacrifice is wrong, but there have been numerous civilizations over the years that have practiced it.
They also were objectively wrong and suffered the consequences. They don't exist anymore.

It is a subjective decision how to define for yourself what's good and what's bad (morality). But once the decision is made, the consequences of the action informed by this subjective understanding can be easily and objectively evaluated and it becomes crystal clear whether your subjective understanding of what is good/bad was right or wrong.

There is no any need for any supernatural moral guidance. Once again, god proved to be useless.

Last edited by Sonof; 06-01-2023 at 12:59 PM..

Old 06-01-2023, 01:00 PM

Quote:
"No, but...."

You seem to be all about that. Nevermind what Christians ACTUALLY believe, right? Because you know better.
Well, I was raised in the methodist church and lived as a catholic for decades.

On the other hand, you often tell us what atheists think...and you've never been one.

Old 06-01-2023, 01:15 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,337,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy View Post
Oftentimes our first instinct is to attack what we fear.
Religion in the wrong hands is to be feared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality