Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 02:47 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,051,170 times

Advertisements

Today is Memorial Day. As it is a day of the dead, wishing someone Happy Memorial Day doesn't seem quite right. As I thought what could be a proper way to make this day, I had a bit of insight.

Not to trash one's world, a world that so many fought and died to provide. I certainly have my temptations of debauchery, that often have their "justification" of, "oh, come on, everyone is doing it" or "what difference will it make, who is going to care?", and looking at it as a way to trash one's fought for, died for world, does make it easier to resist.

Just an observation that others might find useful though other insights would be nice, too. Let's keep it out of the specifics for then it becomes much too easy to be political.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2023, 05:22 PM

88,689 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Today is Memorial Day. As it is a day of the dead, wishing someone Happy Memorial Day doesn't seem quite right. As I thought what could be a proper way to make this day, I had a bit of insight.

Not to trash one's world, a world that so many fought and died to provide. I certainly have my temptations of debauchery, that often have their "justification" of, "oh, come on, everyone is doing it" or "what difference will it make, who is going to care?", and looking at it as a way to trash one's fought for, died for world, does make it easier to resist.

Just an observation that others might find useful though other insights would be nice, too. Let's keep it out of the specifics for then it becomes much too easy to be political.
A good thought indeed, TS.

Old 05-29-2023, 05:32 PM

9,887 posts, read 14,159,951 times
I'vve never heard anyone say "Happy Memorial Day". The sales/ads certainly seem somewhat off-brand, but still haven't heard, "Happy Memorial Day".

Old 05-30-2023, 02:20 AM

551 posts, read 194,081 times
It is good to take a step back and contemplate what is being remebered (not celebrated as far as I'm concerned).

An Honor Guard's perspective: https://youtu.be/UFwJ-hAlKeE

Old 05-30-2023, 05:28 AM

20,077 posts, read 13,535,331 times
One of the paths my wife and I follow when walking is through a nearby cemetery, and we like that they planted little American flags on the graves of veterans -- honoring not just the fallen, but those who served generally. We do not like or celebrate war but we can still recognize that many made a noble sacrifice to provide for the common defense.

Old 05-30-2023, 08:41 AM

5,909 posts, read 3,805,372 times
Saying "Happy Memorial Day" does seem to be rather disrespectful. I've thought about that before too. I don't know what else could be properly said to express the braveness and honor the fallen, who fought for this country. But it shouldn't be "happy".

It's not happy at all. Pride, honor and respect for those who sacrificed everything should be somber. But I still don't know what else could be said in it's place.

Old 05-30-2023, 08:58 AM

5,509 posts, read 7,352,200 times
I live in a community with a high percentage of Vets.

It is currently filled with flags and various reminders everywhere.

We ( I) do it primarily to honor and thank our vets.

Old 05-30-2023, 09:11 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,051,170 times
"Give once more to the one before" is a line out of a Conan Comic (Vol 1, #54, Sept 1975) but it is my philosophy of mercy in that "As someone once did for me, I shall now do for you" and it seemed it could apply here, perhaps more in its original meaning.

When I talked to my older Brother last night in our weekly phone call, he said how he had gone that morning to the cemetery to reflect. Absolutely no argument there, just the kind of thing that is not in my makeup, visiting burial grounds.

Better to remember annually than not at all......if not more frequently than just annually.

Old 05-30-2023, 10:22 AM

50,960 posts, read 24,450,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Saying "Happy Memorial Day" does seem to be rather disrespectful. I've thought about that before too. I don't know what else could be properly said to express the braveness and honor the fallen, who fought for this country. But it shouldn't be "happy".

It's not happy at all. Pride, honor and respect for those who sacrificed everything should be somber. But I still don't know what else could be said in it's place.
Well stated.

I don't think it's an intentional disrespect, which in Buddhist terms means it's not a source of negative karma. But it does seem to be an unawareness of what the day is really about. Unfortunately, to many it has just become another holiday...the start of summer.

Years ago, when I was still living in the D.C. area I had 'the day' off, of course, and I just decided to go into the city into the memorials area and ended up at the World War II Memorial. That's when it hit me that it was Memorial Day, as I saw all the photos and written tributes people had posted around the memorial about their fathers or grandfathers. It was very moving because it really personalized it. And after that, for as long as I lived in the area, I made it a yearly trek on Memorial Day.

Old 05-30-2023, 09:56 PM

5,909 posts, read 3,805,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well stated.

I don't think it's an intentional disrespect, which in Buddhist terms means it's not a source of negative karma. But it does seem to be an unawareness of what the day is really about. Unfortunately, to many it has just become another holiday...the start of summer.

Years ago, when I was still living in the D.C. area I had 'the day' off, of course, and I just decided to go into the city into the memorials area and ended up at the World War II Memorial. That's when it hit me that it was Memorial Day, as I saw all the photos and written tributes people had posted around the memorial about their fathers or grandfathers. It was very moving because it really personalized it. And after that, for as long as I lived in the area, I made it a yearly trek on Memorial Day.
I think that's great that you had a tradition like that....and for all the right reasons. It is heart-breaking but you're right, so many do not even know what it represents. I got to go somewhere else in the forums but I really appreciate the information you have provided about Buddhism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality